Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominic Treadwell-Collins

Dominic Treadwell-Collins

steps down as executive producer as he is leaving

Speaking of his decision to leave, Dominic said: “My love for EastEnders is no secret and so the decision to leave Walford has not been one I have taken lightly. When I commit to something, I always give it my all – and after two and a half years of giving my blood to Walford, it is time for me to move on to other things – and keep EastEnders creatively refreshed, something that it has to do to stay at the top of its game. I made the decision to leave back in the summer but decided to stay longer for two reasons.

“Firstly, to oversee Peggy’s last episodes, which will air in May. When Dame Barbara comes to you to produce her final episodes, you cannot say no. I left EastEnders with Peggy last time when she burnt down her Vic and it feels fitting that we will now leave permanently together. Secondly, I needed to find the right person to take over from me. This is an incredible all-consuming show and in Sean, I know that we have found someone who already has Albert Square in his bones and who adores EastEnders as much as I do.

“It’s going to be gut-wrenching to tear myself away from everyone at EastEnders. It’s an utterly unique place to work, with everyone working so hard and with such passion – and I am so so proud to have led that brilliant team over the past couple of years. I know that EastEnders will continue to thrive under Sean and I’m looking forward to watching the show as a viewer again.”

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-02-2016), Glen1 (20-02-2016), tammyy2j (18-02-2016)

I don't know how to feel about DTC leaving.

I loved his work at first but that soon turned to loathing during the time that despicable Dean was never off our screens and was treated like the star of the show. Thankfully that didn't last and things improved from thereon in, but some of the storylines (the worst of which was the cover-up of Lucy's murder) rightly became a laughing stock and damaged lots of characters in the process.

EastEnders has improved again recently and I'm categorically enjoying it again for the first time in ages, so it feels like a strange time for DTC to leave. Plus, for all his protestations of love for EastEnders, he hasn't stayed long. I wonder what's really behind his decision to leave.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

flappinfanny (19-02-2016), Glen1 (20-02-2016), parkerman (18-02-2016), tammyy2j (18-02-2016)

He will be back again

On the whole, I think I'm pleased he's going. Like Dazzle, I feel he's had his good and bad points but, on the whole, I think his two biggest stories (up to the Kus/Shabs/Stacey/Martin story) I think were handled very badly. Lucy's murder and the most ridiculous cover up in the whole history of cover-ups and the Dean rape story.

It doesn't give me much faith that any future big stories would be handled well by DTC. So, on the whole, I'm glad he's going and it's time to hand over the reins.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-02-2016), flappinfanny (19-02-2016), Glen1 (20-02-2016), lizann (19-02-2016), maidmarian (19-02-2016), Perdita (18-02-2016)

Further thoughts.....Given that DTC has always said he's in EE for the long haul and has now packed it in after not really very long at all, it occurred to me that perhaps he can't see any way out of the Bobby story without landing half the cast in jail so he's decided to hand the problem over to someone else......

Just a thought!

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-02-2016), flappinfanny (19-02-2016), Glen1 (20-02-2016), maidmarian (18-02-2016), Perdita (19-02-2016), Rear window (19-02-2016), tammyy2j (21-02-2016)

On balance and all things considered I am also glad he is going, but I don't believe for one minute he has been pushed. He is well in with every one at EE, the cast adore him, everybody and his dog want to return or get a part in the show and the BBC seem to like him also. The 30th Anniversary week will go down in history. What annoys me most about DTC is, his tenure could have been amazing if he had been reigned in a bit. I thought he was the best thing since sliced bread in his first year, then it went down hill. He should have rejected many of Alex Lambs ideas.

He made some decisions that really got my goat (don't like resurrections) and played about with the history of the show too much for my liking. At times I could have strangled him. Too many things happened off screen. At one point I was so annoyed, he made me stop watching the show for about a month. I think younger fans in general thought DTC was the new messiah and older fans of the show who had watched from day one were pretty outraged by retcon after retcon. EE became retcon city.

As for DTC's successor, Sean O'Connor is a good choice and speaking as an Archers fan, what I can tell you for sure is that Sean O'Connor has done wonders for this soap on Radio 4 and as any fan will tell you, storylines like that of Helen and Rob have made The Archers unmissable and the best soap in the UK by a country mile. EE are lucky to have the likes of him on their flag ship drama.

Now the big three will have new producers, it will be interesting to see what happens. That's a duff duff in its own right.
    Last edited by flappinfanny; 19-02-2016 at 01:05.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flappinfanny For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-02-2016), Glen1 (20-02-2016), maidmarian (19-02-2016)

No, I agree DTC wasn't pushed, not after securing a golden handcuffs deal. I just wonder why he's tired of EE already? Maybe he (quite understandably) can't hack the constant intense scrutiny and criticism that goes with the job and is burnt out?

I'm an older fan of the show (since the first episode) but it wasn't the retcons that annoyed me the most (probably because my memory for historical details is hazy). It was the sensationalism and ludicrously over-the-top and dragged-out storylines that I hated. I agree EE would have been right at the top of its game if DTC had just been reigned in a bit more. The times when great care was obviously taken over storylines (such as the 30th anniversary week, Shabnam's stillbirth, Stacey's post-partum psychosis and Les Coker's cross-dressing) stand up with the best of EE in my opinion.

It's reassuring to hear you have such a high opinion of Sean O'Connor!
    Last edited by Dazzle; 19-02-2016 at 03:00.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

flappinfanny (19-02-2016), Glen1 (20-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    No, I agree DTC wasn't pushed, not after securing a golden handcuffs deal. I just wonder why he's tired of EE already? Maybe he (quite understandably) can't hack the constant intense scrutiny and criticism that goes with the job and is burnt out?

I'm an older fan of the show (since the first episode) but it wasn't the retcons that annoyed me the most (probably because my memory for historical details is hazy). It was the sensationalism and ludicrously over-the-top and dragged-out storylines that I hated. I agree EE would have been right at the top of its game if DTC had just been reigned in a bit more. The times when great care was obviously taken over storylines (such as the 30th anniversary week, Shabnam's stillbirth, Stacey's post-partum psychosis and Les Coker's cross-dressing) stand up with the best of EE in my opinion.

It's reassuring to hear you have such a high opinion of Sean O'Connor!
    I dont much abt S O'C - but a relative who
    reads a lot of Archers blogs says hes known
    for turning that prog into "Eastenders in a field"
    Not sure what to think?!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-02-2016), flappinfanny (19-02-2016), Glen1 (20-02-2016), Perdita (19-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
    I dont much abt S O'C - but a relative who
    reads a lot of Archers blogs says hes known
    for turning that prog into "Eastenders in a field"
    Not sure what to think?!
    Oh dear!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (19-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    Further thoughts.....Given that DTC has always said he's in EE for the long haul and has now packed it in after not really very long at all, it occurred to me that perhaps he can't see any way out of the Bobby story without landing half the cast in jail so he's decided to hand the problem over to someone else......

Just a thought!

Well quite. It's a very destructive storyline that has no good ending if you play it all real. Short of Lucy waking up in the shower I suspect there's not a realistic sensible way out.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rear window For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (20-02-2016), parkerman (19-02-2016)

Thread Information