Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Paul McQueen (James Sutton)

Exclamation John Paul McQueen (James Sutton)

Hollyoaks fans will see John Paul McQueen return to the village later this year, Digital Spy can exclusively reveal.

James Sutton has been back on set at the Channel 4 soap in recent days, having agreed to reprise the role after four years away.

Little is known about John Paul's return storyline, but it is thought that he will be back on screen in time for Christmas and remain back in the village for the foreseeable future.

John Paul is remembered as one of Hollyoaks' most popular characters, and his relationship with Craig Dean (Guy Burnet) resulted in a significant fanbase of 'McDean' supporters.

Sutton played the role between 2006 and 2008. In 2009, he was cast as Emmerdale's Ryan Lamb and appeared as the village mechanic until April 2011.

In recent months, the 29-year-old has made appearances on a number of shows including Holby City, Scott and Bailey and Bedlam, as well as launching his own pop-up acting company Broken Leg Workshops.

Sutton had often said that he was open to returning to Hollyoaks for the "right" storyline and entered talks with the programme's chiefs earlier in the year.

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4, with first look screenings at 7pm on E4.
    Last edited by Perdita; 12-10-2012 at 13:25.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (17-10-2012), tammyy2j (16-10-2012)

Must be desperate for work

He is one of the better characters on the show

another gay in the village keep him away from ste and brendan

James Sutton's comeback storyline in Hollyoaks has "never been used in a soap", according to friend Pete Price.

Sutton's legendary character John Paul will return to the village before the end of the year, but the plot remains a secret.

Price, also a well-known local radio presenter, told the Liverpool Echo: "The role as John Paul is gritty, emotional, sympathetic, controversial with lots of snogging.

"The storyline that he is coming back with has never been used in a soap."

Price also confirmed the exact timing of Sutton's reprisal of his troubled character, adding that John Paul will be "back on screen just before Christmas".

John Paul fled the village after his half brother Niall killed his half sister during a church explosion.

James Sutton, whose return to Hollyoaks after four years was announced last month, starred as Emmerdale's Ryan Lamb between 2009 and 2011.

Hollyoaks boss Bryan Kirkwood has said that he hopes viewers will grow to accept John Paul McQueen's return as a single man.

Last month, Digital Spy exclusively revealed that James Sutton had agreed to reprise his role as John Paul, who will be back on screen just before Christmas.

John Paul's relationship with Craig Dean (Guy Burnet) is still fondly remembered by fans, but as he is heading back to the village alone, it appears that things have not worked out for the popular couple.

Kirkwood, Hollyoaks' executive producer, told Inside Soap: "As writers and producers, we were just as big fans of Craig and John Paul's love story as the viewers were - but the fact is that James wanted to return and Guy Burnet didn't.

"I hope the audience gives us time to prove that it's the right decision. Just because it's the end of Craig and John Paul for now doesn't mean there aren't some great stories we can tell about John Paul as a single man."

Kirkwood (pictured left) added that John Paul may not be the only face from the past to reappear in the coming months.

Asked to name his favourite character, Kirkwood replied: "That's tough. I've got a really long list right now.

"And we're currently in discussions about which old favourites we can bring back, so watch this space!"

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4, with first look screenings at 7pm on E4.
    Last edited by Perdita; 20-11-2012 at 12:39.

Hollyoaks returnee James Sutton has expressed excitement over upcoming scenes featuring his character John Paul McQueen and bad boy Brendan Brady.

John Paul arrives back on screen next month and it is thought that his first scenes see him have a chance meeting with Brendan (Emmett Scanlan) in Dublin.

Asked to name his favourite scene to shoot at Hollyoaks in a new Channel 4 interview, Sutton replied: "Probably one of the ones I shot with Emmett in Dublin when I first came back. There's certainly a lot of fun to be had with Brendan and John Paul - tune in!"

Revealing more about the upcoming plot, a Channel 4 teaser statement said: "In Dublin, Brendan is in turmoil when his ex refuses to let him see his children over Christmas. But as he waves his family off at the coach station, another lost soul, John Paul, is also waving goodbye to a loved one.

"The pair inevitably gets chatting, but where will it lead?"

Digital Spy exclusively revealed Sutton's Hollyoaks return in October. The actor's friend Pete Price, a well-known radio presenter in Liverpool, later promised that a forthcoming story for John Paul "has never been used in a soap".

Show boss Bryan Kirkwood has also pledged to tell "great" stories about John Paul as "a single man" following his expected split from Craig Dean.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s1...#ixzz2DdoZBVIV

Hollyoaks returnee James Sutton has revealed details of his character John Paul McQueen's split from lover Craig Dean.

As recently confirmed by show boss Bryan Kirkwood, John Paul will be a single man when he heads back to the village later this month.

Sutton told Inside Soap: "John Paul and Craig have had a tough time in Ireland together. Craig has put JP in a difficult situation, and that's part of the reason he goes back to the village."

He added: "I love the fact that fans still want them to be together. But the only person who knows the answer to whether we'll see Craig again is Guy Burnet, who played him.

"He's in the States filming a TV show at the moment, but I'd love to work with him again one day."

Sutton played Ryan Lamb in Emmerdale for two years and said that he was "a bit sad" not to have been involved in the recent live show.

However, he insisted that he is glad to be a part of the Hollyoaks cast again.

He hinted: "John Paul has some exciting storylines in store - and they're not what you might expect."

The actor recently expressed excitement over upcoming scenes with bad boy Brendan Brady.

James Sutton has admitted that he feels partially apprehensive about his Hollyoaks comeback.

The actor, who reprises his famous role as John Paul from next Tuesday, however insisted that he remains "dead-excited" filming his second stint.

"On the one hand I know the set-up and I know how it works and I know my character, so that's really nice," Sutton told MSN.

"I feel a little bit of pressure because I had such a nice run last time. You'd hate to mess it up and put in a weak performance and spoil what you did before. I'm really proud of what I did before.

"So I think I put myself under a bit of pressure but at the same time I'm dead-excited and I've had chats with the storyline people and our producer Bryan Kirkwood and there's a lot of really exciting stuff coming up for us."

Sutton spent two years on Emmerdale between 2009 and 2011, after leaving Hollyoaks in 2007.

Of his return to the set of the Channel 4 teen soap, the star reflected: "It was very weird! My first few days were over in Dublin filming but my first few days on set here were bizarre.

"There's a lot of the same crew still here and I was sat with the girls that play my family and my sisters and it's like the last four years haven't happened. Everyone's been really sweet."

John Paul, who arrives in Chester a single man, has been tipped to become romantically involved with villain Brendan Brady (Emmett Scanlan).

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s1...#ixzz2Ek8mXaH5

Hollyoaks welcomes back one of its best-loved characters next week as John Paul McQueen returns to screens after a four-year absence.

As has been widely reported, John Paul has a chance meeting with Brendan Brady (Emmett Scanlan) in Dublin, before heading back to the village to join his family in time for Christmas.

We recently caught up with James Sutton, who plays John Paul, to hear all the gossip on his Hollyoaks comeback.

How does it feel to be back on Hollyoaks after four years away?
    "It's been good and really nice. I'm starting to settle in now and the cast are lovely. There's a lot of new people - I'm struggling to learn everybody's names! But a lot of my old pals are here too, including the rest of the McQueen family, so it's been great so far."

How did the return come about?
    "I always thought that at some point I would probably come back, because I had such a good experience the first time around and there's also the fact that I live in Liverpool, where the show is filmed. It was just a matter of timing, really.

"I'd often said 'never say never' and that I would come back if the storyline was right, but I wouldn't have come back just for the sake of it. What happened was that Bryan Kirkwood returned to Hollyoaks as executive producer, and we'd always stayed in touch anyway. We went out for dinner and he told me that he'd had an idea for a storyline for John Paul. It sounded appealing, so I said yes!"

Was Bryan's return the main factor which influenced your decision?
    "Well, I think Bryan is someone who really gets it - he understands soap so well, he really cares and he invests a great deal into the storylines personally. He oversees everything and he's very hands-on, which is fantastic.

"Obviously he's been away and had experience over at EastEnders, and he's come back really hungry to make Hollyoaks as successful as it can be. I think that energy and passion really rubs off on people. It's very hard to hear someone speak so eloquently and passionately about the show and not buy into it!"

What kind of a reaction have you seen from fans since your return was announced?
    "It's been really positive. I've seen a lot of tweets from people who seem excited to see John Paul again, which is really nice. I used to get a message every day saying, 'Are you coming back?' and now I can finally say that I am!"

Because John Paul is so fondly remembered, is there a pressure that comes with revisiting the role?
    "Yeah, I think so. There is a certain amount of pressure but it's pressure that I put on myself more than anything. I want to do the best job I can, and I don't want to let anyone down. It's not that I think I will let people down, but I did have such a good run last time and I don't want to mess it up.

"What I can say is that I feel really good and really positive about what we're doing. John Paul's character has moved into a different direction now. He's a different person and that's a lot of fun to play with. The dynamic within the family has changed too, and there's also a lot of new characters in the village for John Paul to interact with. It feels different than it did last time, but in a really good way."

As John Paul's relationship with Craig Dean was so popular, some viewers are naturally disappointed that they've split up. How do you feel about that?
    "I think it's great that people are so invested in it. It makes me feel really proud that what we created has had a lasting appeal for people - I think that can only be a positive thing.

"I think the fans are really going to enjoy where things are going with storylines for my character and the people that he gets involved with. There's a lot of really exciting material coming up."

We first see John Paul in Dublin, don't we?
    "Yeah, I went over to Dublin to do some filming there, which was fantastic. My first scenes are with Emmett Scanlan, who plays Brendan, and that was really nice. I've known Emmett for a while and we've always got on pretty well. He's a top guy and we've done some really nice stuff, which I'm really excited for people to see because I'm quite proud of it.

"There was an amazing crew for those scenes, including Steve Brett, who is one of my favourite directors. It was a really nice way to come back into it."

Hollyoaks does have some new fans, so there'll be some people who've never seen John Paul! Can you remind us of his place in the family?
    "Yeah, it is funny that a lot of people will never have seen me or heard of the character! That's actually really nice, because for some viewers he'll just be a new guy in the village who has some history there.

"John Paul is the voice of reason in this family of women with crazy, big personalities. He's always been very close to Jacqui, as she's the eldest in the family and helped to bring him up. John Paul shares a father with Carmel and Michaela, so he's close to them as well.

"He's kind of the one who sits there and lets this chaos erupt around him and shakes his head a lot! He's the quietest one in the family, but he's also the most sensible."

Have you been filming mainly with the McQueens so far, or will John Paul make some new friends?
    "I can't really say too much, but I have made some new friends and I've had scenes with some of the established characters, which has been really nice. I've also got some stuff coming up with some people who I haven't worked with before, which is always really exciting.

"I've also done a lot with the family, because when John Paul comes back, the McQueens are in turmoil. There's all sorts of things going on with Mercedes, with Myra and it's all chaos."

Will John Paul stay single for a while, or is it inevitable that they'll pair him up with someone?
    "I don't know yet! I'm really open to whatever they want to do, but I am conscious that the last time I was here, a lot of my storylines were relationship-based. There's a lot more going on now with John Paul. Like I say, he's a different person now - he knows who he is and what he wants.

"I think when we see John Paul, he's had a pretty horrific time with Craig over in Dublin and I don't think he wants to be with anyone just now. He feels a bit lost, so he needs to come back into the bosom of the family."

Liverpool radio host Pete Price - a friend of yours - recently said that a future storyline for John Paul has never been used on a soap before. Is that an accurate description?
    "There might be some truth in that, but I can't really confirm or deny that statement! Pete is a great friend of mine and I think he was stirring the pot somewhat, but I do have some really exciting stuff coming up that I can't wait to shoot and can't wait for people to see."

When we last spoke, you were just about to launch your pop-up acting company Broken Leg Workshops. How's it all going?
    "It's been fantastic. We've recently run a workshop in Leeds, which was a huge success. It's a really nice thing to be involved in, because there are so many people out there who want to act and see what it's like in front of a camera.

"It's rare that you get that opportunity, because most drama groups focus on theatre. We've got some big plans for next year and it's really nice for me to do something different."
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Thread Information