Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xanthe Canning (Lilly Van Der Meer)

Exclamation Xanthe Canning (Lilly Van Der Meer)

A new cast member arrives in Erinsborough.

Hot on the heels of announcing the return of Charlie Hoyland played by newcomer Xander McGuire, Neighbours’ producers are investing in another up and coming young talent, Lilly Van der Meer.

Certainly one to watch in 2016, the stunning 16-year-old from the Gold Coast in Queensland, joins a long list of superstars to launch their careers as teenagers on the global soap including Margot Robbie who coincidently grew up in the same hood as Lilly – what better omen?

“It’s part of the Neighbours legacy to nurture and develop amazing new talent from all over Australia and I’ve no doubt that Lilly is definitely a star of the future,” said Neighbours’ Series Producer Jason Herbison.

Her character, Xanthe Canning has a formidable pedigree, the granddaughter of Sheila Canning, played by one of Australia’s most respected performers Colette Mann, half-sister of Ramsay Street hunk Chris Milligan and the daughter of one of the family’s more recent members to join the series Gary played by Damien Richardson who also returns in the new year.

LillyVanDerMeer

“There are times the Cannings could be mistaken as a colourful mob family but it all comes from the right place,” joked Colette. “Lilly’s world has certainly been opened up since joining the and we’re loving having her here. She was already a Canning after just a couple of weeks, we had converted her.”

Lilly debuts on Neighbours on January 22.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Summer8 (02-12-2015), TaintedLove (30-11-2015)

“Be prepared for Xanthe’s big arrival - she’s gonna shake things up a bit,” warns Lilly Van der Meer who is the latest young talent to join the Neighbours cast.

The 16-year-old Gold Coast girl will play Xanthe Canning, granddaughter of Sheila (Collette Mann) and sister to Kyle (Chris Milligan).

“Xanthe and I are completely different... We don’t have a lot in common, which is exciting to play because I feel like I’m not playing myself and making the choices I would make.

“I’m making completely different character choices for Xanthe. She does everything with a good heart but gets mixed up in the wrong things and [goes about it] the wrong way.”

Van der Meer found out she had the role during a lunch break at high school and quickly had to say goodbye to her friends before moving to Melbourne. After appearing in a couple of short films she is thrilled about her first big role and has been warmly welcomed by her on-screen family.

“Colette and Chris... they’re definitely been my biggest supporters and friends and helped me out a lot. They are always giving me advice and teaching me the ways of the show and helpig me so much with it.”

Mann added in a statement, “Lilly’s world has certainly been opened up since joining the cast and we’re loving having her here. She was already a Canning after just a couple of weeks, we had converted her.

Xanthe arrives in Ramsay Street on January 22nd.

Credit: TV Soap

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binky321 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (02-01-2016), Summer8 (07-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by binky321 View Post
    “Be prepared for Xanthe’s big arrival - she’s gonna shake things up a bit,” warns Lilly Van der Meer who is the latest young talent to join the Neighbours cast.

The 16-year-old Gold Coast girl will play Xanthe Canning, granddaughter of Sheila (Collette Mann) and sister to Kyle (Chris Milligan).

“Xanthe and I are completely different... We don’t have a lot in common, which is exciting to play because I feel like I’m not playing myself and making the choices I would make.

“I’m making completely different character choices for Xanthe. She does everything with a good heart but gets mixed up in the wrong things and [goes about it] the wrong way.”

Van der Meer found out she had the role during a lunch break at high school and quickly had to say goodbye to her friends before moving to Melbourne. After appearing in a couple of short films she is thrilled about her first big role and has been warmly welcomed by her on-screen family.

“Colette and Chris... they’re definitely been my biggest supporters and friends and helped me out a lot. They are always giving me advice and teaching me the ways of the show and helpig me so much with it.”

Mann added in a statement, “Lilly’s world has certainly been opened up since joining the cast and we’re loving having her here. She was already a Canning after just a couple of weeks, we had converted her.

Xanthe arrives in Ramsay Street on January 22nd.

Credit: TV Soap
    "Shake things up"
    I'm not holding my breathe, just about every new actor to Neighbours says this...
    I'm guessing she's being brought in as with Kyle leaving, they'll need a reason to keep Sheila around given her popularity! I love Sheila!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LauBuch For This Useful Post:

badirene (26-01-2016), Dazzle (04-01-2016), Summer8 (07-01-2016)

Introducing Lilly Van der Meer

Erinsborough is about to get a little more crowded when actress Lilly Van der Meer makes her debut in the new season. The teenager, who grew up in the same town as former Neighbours star Margot Robbie, will play Xanthe Canning in the soap.

When did you know you wanted to be an actor?
    Since I was about five. I was watching TV one day and I just wanted to be a part of it. My mum wouldn’t let me do it until she knew I really wanted it.

Was she a bit hesitant about you pursuing a career in acting?
    Yes. She wanted me to make sure it was what I wanted to do because she knows it can be hard.

Was it hard leaving your friends in Queensland and moving to Melbourne for the role?
    It all happened so quickly that I didn’t have time to process it.

What’s your character like?
    At first it’s confronting for Xanthe because she comes to town and meets her grandmother, Sheila (Colette Mann) and brother, Kyle (Chris Milligan), that she doesn’t even know about. After a while, they warm up to each other and have quite a good relationship.

How do you feel being a new star on TV?
    It’s very exciting. It’s amazing to be working on Neighbours.

What’s the best advice someone has given you for the role?
    Learn your lines and know your character because it’s such a fast-paced show.

Source: TV Week 4th January 2016

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tiger81 For This Useful Post:

Summer8 (07-01-2016)

The Canning's are rocked by new arrival Xanthe...

Poor Sheila gets the shock of her life this week, when a strange girl turns up and claims to be her long-lost granddaughter!

Sheila has already had a run-in with the troublesome Xanthe earlier in the day, so she gives the lass short shrift when she sees her on Ramsay Street. She is stunned as the teenager drops a bombshell about her true identity...

“Xanthe is a sneaky devil - she shows up at The Waterhole and tries to scam a free burger! reveals Colette Mann, who plays Sheila. “Sheila is on to her in a nanosecond and Xanthe does a runner. Then she turns up at the house and tells Sheila that she’s Gary’s daughter.”

The revelation is a huge development for Sheila, who had no idea her jailbird son had fathered another kid. She’s not the only one who’s stunned - poor Kyle is gob smacked to discover that he has a half-sister.

“Sheila doesn’t take it well - Gary is her favourite child and she’s hurt that he’s kept this from her,” sighs Colette. “She doesn’t believe it at first but soon realises it’s true. She actually feels sorry for Xanthe because Gary has kept a lot from her as well.”

While Sheila struggles to embrace Xanthe, Colette is overjoyed at the latest addition to the Canning clan.
    “I’m building an empire!” chuckles the star. “Xanthe is such a great character. There is a toughness to her but she has a fun side, too. I think the viewers will really like her.”

Source: Inside Soap Magazine

10. The Following User Says Thank You to binky321 For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (13-01-2016)

I'd prefer Naomi back but lets see what she is like

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

badirene (26-01-2016)

Neighbours newcomer Xanthe​ ​Canning will wreck havoc when she arrives in Erinsborough today (January 22), and ​Lilly Van der Meer has teased that her character won't be able to resist staying out of trouble in future episodes.

The teenager turns up looking for her father Gary, but her arrival will shock both Sheila and Kyle, who had previously been unaware of her existence.

Van der Meer told Tenplay: "​Xanthe has no idea who they are, so to find out is very confronting. Xanthe just has absolutely no idea where she is and what she's doing.

"To not be told that you have family that you could have potentially been close to is really hard to find out.

​​"I think she goes through a phase of abandonment where she's not sure who these people are and how she feels about them. It takes her a while to get used to now having a family after being alone for 15 years.​"​

Speaking about what is ahead for her mischievous character, the actress added: "She arrives with no friends but soon makes a good friend.

"She also finds cool things to do in Erinsborough and gets herself into trouble, excitement and mischief. You'll have to keep watching to see what's in store!"

Although Xanthe has some bridges to build with her estranged family, Van der Meer explained that it is an entirely different situation off-screen.

Ianthe reveals that she's looking for Gary Canning
    © Channel 5
    She said: ​ "My very first scene was with Chris [Milligan] and I cannot even explain how amazing and helpful he was. I was very nervous and he was just lovely. He plays my on-screen brother but it feels to me like he is my brother off-screen too.

"Colette [Mann] and I are best buds, we chat and laugh. We can have those great, intense, emotional scenes as a family and then we can also have a nutty, funny scene and it's so much fun to have that dynamic. To have such a bond off-screen is so special and I'm thankful to be working with them."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (22-01-2016)

Holy Jesus she is annoying!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LauBuch For This Useful Post:

badirene (26-01-2016), indigodance (22-01-2016), lizann (27-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by LauBuch View Post
    I agree 1st impression don't like her !!!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wilky07 For This Useful Post:

badirene (26-01-2016), indigodance (22-01-2016), lizann (27-01-2016), Summer8 (24-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by LauBuch View Post
    I agree 1st impression don't like her !!!

Thread Information