Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gordon Livesy (Gary Mavers)

Quote Originally Posted by Zally View Post
    I often woindered about Chas' and Gordons relationship. She was only 14 when she had Aaron - and still she was married at that age (is it even legal to marry at that age)? And Gordon must've been quite a bit older than her. Doesn't this count as child abuse?

I doubt they'll ever adress this but it always confused my.
    In Chastitys profile on Emmerdale Wiki -her
    date of birth is feb 1978 .So you would be
    correct the marriage would be invalid and it
    would be unlawful sexual inercourse.

However in her mother.Faiths profile it
    says she was married to Shadrach and had
    2 children Cain b1974 & Chastity b 1976 only
    years stated. So that would make it legal.just!!

In Gordons profile it says he was married firstly
    to Chastity in 1991- so either 13 or 15 dependent
    on while profile you use for dob.

Theres probably more anomalies if you look-
    but Im going to bed. Years ago they used to
    give exact dates for births marriages deaths.
    Then they just said years. Now when there's
    a new character theres often no date of birth
    at all. There have been cases where teenage
    characters have had their age inc by a couple
    of years so they can play "older" storylines.

So I dont see how they.can rectify this now
    without a lot of alterations to various profiles -
    so.they will prob ignore.

Ps -as you prob know Cains father turned out
    to be Zak (.a result of his affair with Faith)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Telly Watcher (09-11-2015)

I often woindered about Chas' and Gordons relationship. She was only 14 when she had Aaron - and still she was married at that age (is it even legal to marry at that age)? And Gordon must've been quite a bit older than her. Doesn't this count as child abuse?

Chas Dingle was born on 23rd February 1978. Aaron was born on Sunday 5th January 1992. This means that Chas was still aged 13yo when Aaron was born. If we assume that Aaron was born 40+2 weeks after conception, it means that Gordon and Chas had sex on Sunday 17th March 1991, 3 weeks after Chas had had her 13th birthday.

Chas is currently 37yo. We don't know Gordon's character age but Gary Mavers is presently 51 yo (26yo in March 1991). The part of Gordon Livesy was played by Gerard Fletcher in 2003. Gerard Fletcher's real age isn't findable right now on the Internet but he completed a 3-year acting course in 1997 (so 21yo then?) which roughly gives him a birthyear around 1976. Assuming adjustment of +1 year for a younger screen-birthyear (=1977), this would make Gordon Livesy originally about 1 year older than Chas when Aaron was born (so Gordon was 14yo then).

So, maybe Chas and Gordon did have a difficult time back then with them being both so young and 13-14yo teenagers, and maybe this is why Chas has now started to suffer her recent problems. Aaron does not seem to talk about Gordon nowadays. Maybe some of Aaron's problems (cutting, moodiness, boyhood behaviour, etc) throughout his life will now be explained by how Gordon made Chas pregnant at such an early age and the difficulties throughout life that the three of them had because of this.

As for Gordon and Chas' marriage, Internet sources say it was in 1991, when Chas was 13yo and Gordon was presumably 14yo, but this does not fulfil the requirements for a marriage to be legal since The Age of Marriage Act 1929.

Wikipedia says the minimum age for marriage from 1929 onwards was made to be 16yo, but before then common law marriage could happen if the male was at least 14yo and the female was at least 12yo. I suppose it's possible that the Internet sources could be wrong on character birthdates or marriage date, but the scripts for previous episodes were so numerous that I would have thought an error like this would have been picked up years ago. So the subject of the legality of Gordon and Chas' marriage needs further explanation.

Marriage in England and Wales, wikipedia.org
    >
    The Age of Marriage Act 1929 increased the age of marriage to sixteen. It was passed in response to a campaign by the National Union of Societies for Equal Citizenship. Until this point, at common law and by canon law a person who had attained the legal age of puberty could contract a valid marriage. A marriage contracted by persons either of whom was under the legal age of puberty was voidable. The legal age of puberty was fourteen years for males and twelve years for females. This section amended the law so that a marriage contracted by persons either of whom was under the age of sixteen years was void.
    >
    Source:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marria...s#20th_century
    Last edited by Telly Watcher; 09-11-2015 at 02:25.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Telly Watcher For This Useful Post:

binky321 (09-11-2015)

This could be Chas and Aaron's big story, he was a result of underage marriage and rape etc.,

Aaron's dad to cause grief!

Soaplife, 5 - 18 Dec 2015

The future's not bright for Aaron Livesy. But then, when has it ever been? Not long out of jail, where he was fighting for his own survival, he's now concerned about his mum, Chas Dingle, and having to fight her corner after she stabbed Diane Sugden.

But the reappearance of his father, Gordon (played by ex-Casualty star Gary Mavers), this fortnight is going to bring another battle to Aaron's door.

'It's Diane who first sees Gordon,' our Emmerdale insider tells us...

'She's at hospital for chemotherapy treatment and realises that the man sitting next to her is Chas' ex, Gordon. She then finds out he's there because he's also battling cancer.'

'They talk about Aaron and Gordon says he's had time to dwell on the things he would change...'

Aaron has always had a troubled relationship with his mum and dad, and he ended up in Emmerdale when Gordon threw him out for hitting his step mother and dealing drugs. It was the Dingles who rescued Aaron from the McFarlane crime family and, slowly but surely, he learned to trust that Chas loves him.

'After their meeting, Gordon asks Diane not to tell anyone she's seen him,' adds our Emmerdale source.

But we're confident Gordon won't be able to stay away from Emmerdale.

Gordon is a man who could be dying - and dying to make things right, but Gordon's reappearance could trigger Aaron's self-harming.

'There's a big story in the New Year for Aaron and Chas,' Emmerdale boss Kate Oates has already revealed.

Gordon might well turn up in the village with good intentions of making things right with his estranged son - but he may well end up making things very wrong for Aaron - and for Chas.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Telly Watcher For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (01-12-2015), tammyy2j (01-12-2015)

Gordon Livesy (Gary Mavers) makes his first appearance on Emmerdale during episode 7370 on Monday 14th December 2015 from 7pm.

'Gordon knows he could have done better by his family,' says Gary. 'Now he wants to make things right.'

Source: What's on TV, 5 - 11 Dec 2015
    Last edited by Telly Watcher; 01-12-2015 at 09:14.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Telly Watcher For This Useful Post:

binky321 (01-12-2015), Glen1 (01-12-2015), sarah c (01-12-2015), tammyy2j (01-12-2015)

wonder what has happened to his wife and other child (daughter) in the missing years?

We have already had Aaron help Jackson to die so I hope it isn't the same now with his dad

"Gordon wants to make things right with Aaron and Chas!"

>We know that your character is Chas's ex and also Aaron's father, but what kind of person is he?
    I don't think Gordon's a genuinely bad man: he probably behaves the way he does because he's a victim of his own childhood. His relationship with his father was likely very similar to the one he now has with Aaron, and his upbringing was almost certainly the same - a bit dysfunctional.

>And can you tell us how Gordon ends up running into Diane?
    They bump into one another at the hospital. Diane is undergoing chemo, and Gordon is there because he's suffering from Hodgkin's lymphoma. They get talking about Aaron, and it's that conversation which really makes Gordon re-evaluate everything. He knows there are things he could have done better in the past - such as be a better father.

>Is he worried at the prospect of seeing Aaron after all this time?
    Yes, and Gordon is fully expecting a bad reaction. He knows that he wasn't a good dad to Aaron, but following his chat with Diane, he decides he wants to try and make things right. It's not going to be straightforward, because Gordon and Aaron have similar volatile personalities.

>So Gordon has a short fuse too?
    Oh yes - he's got a very quick temper. Maybe that's where Aaron got it from. Gordon has a violent streak as well. It's possible that he knocked poor Aaron about when he was younger, but you'll have to wait and see just what emerges as their history is explored.

>Is Gordon also hoping that he can build some bridges with Chas?
    They had a really up-and-down relationship in the past, but in a wierd way they complemented one another. They're now in a vulnerable place - Gordon has cancer, and Chas has suffered a breakdown. Maybe because of their circumstances they'll find themselves drawn back together.

>Has Gordon got a plan to move to the Dales permanently?
    That would be telling! But if he does return to the village, there'll be a lot of sparks flying, and Aaron won't be happy. I can see Gordon rubbing lots of people up the wrong way. It would be interesting to see where he fits in.

>What's the prognosis with Gordon's cancer? Is there hope?
    He's having a lot of chemo, and that's as much as I've been told. I think people have this idea that when you're suffering from cancer you should be pale with big black rings under your eyes, but when my own dad had cancer a few years ago, even on the day he died he looked fit and healthy.

all about soap
    Fortnight ending 18 December 2015
    Last edited by Telly Watcher; 02-12-2015 at 01:49.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Telly Watcher For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (02-12-2015)

Gordon's illness, Hodgkin's lymphoma, is a type of blood cancer which can affect the lymph nodes, such as those in the neck, armpits, groin and spleen. Treatment is by chemotherapy and also radiotherapy. Survival rates are reported as being very good, with one European study reporting in 2007 that 85-98% of patients can live for at least 5 years after diagnosis when modern treatment methods are used.

>
    Hodgkin's lymphoma, wikipedia, 2015

Hodgkin's lymphoma, also known as Hodgkin lymphoma or Hodgkin's disease, is a type of lymphoma, in which cancer originates from a specific type of white blood cells called lymphocytes.

Treatment of Hodgkin's disease has been improving over the past few decades. Recent trials that have made use of new types of chemotherapy have indicated higher survival rates than have previously been seen. In one recent European trial (published 2007), the 5-year survival rate for those patients with a favorable prognosis was 98%, while that for patients with worse outlooks was at least 85%.

But a previous study in 1998 showed that a number of factors reduced survival rates, such as being male, being 45yo or older, having Stage IV of the disease, and having unusual results for certain blood tests.
    >
    Source:
    'Hodgkin's lymphoma'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodgkin's_lymphoma

Aaron Livesy's father Gordon is revealed to be unwell when he makes his return to Emmerdale later this month.

Gordon's first scenes see him have a chance meeting with Diane Sugden (Elizabeth Estensen) ​when she heads to the hospital for chemotherapy.

When Diane spots Gordon, it doesn't take long for her to recognise him as Chas Dingle's ex-husband.

Gordon then confides in Diane by revealing that he has Hodgkin's Lymphoma and regrets his past mistakes as a father, admitting that he's had time to consider what he'd do differently.

Nervous about reconnecting with his family, Gordon urges Diane not to mention that she saw him. However, when they next catch up at the hospital, Gordon tells Diane that he's finally thinking of getting in contact with Chas and Aaron but needs her help.

© ITV
    Gordon is now played by actor Gary Mavers, who is best known for his role as Dr Andrew Attwood on Peak Practice.

Speaking about the Emmerdale story for the first time, Mavers revealed: "Gordon is really vulnerable. He's sitting round dwelling on things he could have done better in his past - including his relationship with Chas and their son. It just makes him re-evaluate everything.

"They don't know what the prognosis is with his illness yet. He's getting a lot of chemotherapy, so he's just going to see how that goes.

"After meeting Diane and talking things through, he hatches a plan and thinks maybe he'll get back in touch and make things right, as you do in that situation.

"I don't think Gordon is a bad man. He's probably a victim of his own upbringing. His relationship with his father was probably very similar to what he's got with Aaron - dysfunctional. Gordon probably came from a broken home and it's just a vicious circle. Gordon has definitely got a short fuse and Aaron's exactly the same as him."

© ITV
    Emmerdale fans will have to stay glued to find out what happens when Gordon is finally reunited with his family, but his arrival is bound to make waves in the village.

Discussing his own experiences on set, Mavers continued: "Everyone's been really helpful and really nice. It was nice on the first day because there are three or four cameras set up at once, which I've never been used to working with. It's always been one camera, which therefore takes a lot longer.

"At Emmerdale it's very immediate and it's very quick. You've got to be on the ball, you've got to be on your game and you've got to be aware of all the cameras happening at once. It's like a well-oiled machine.

"I hadn't watched Emmerdale since it was Emmerdale Farm, but I've caught up over the last few weeks and I was amazed at how much the programme has evolved and changed. It was all in and around farms in those days, but it's moved with the times.

"I was really struck by how good the writing was as well and how quick-moving it was. It was refreshing, to be honest!"

Emmerdale airs Gordon's return scenes on Monday, December 14 at 7pm on ITV.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

binky321 (03-12-2015), maidmarian (03-12-2015)

Thread Information