Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Baldwin (Derek Wilton) dies

To this day I still loathe Norris Cole because of how he treated Derek. He poked fun at him constantly. And to disrespect Dereks widow Mavis at his his own funeral with that disgusting eulogy was just unforgivable.
    I can bear a grudge for years, me

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TaintedLove For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-10-2015), maidmarian (24-10-2015)

To this day I still loathe Norris Cole because of how he treated Derek. He poked fun at him constantly. And to disrespect Dereks widow Mavis at his his own funeral with that disgusting eulogy was just unforgivable.

:
    Quote Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
    If you are going to do something -
    do it well. You obviously do!

I think Norris was jealous

He did marry Angela nee Hawthorne
    AFTER she was divorced from.Derek
    Last edited by maidmarian; 24-10-2015 at 16:34.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-10-2015), Perdita (24-10-2015), TaintedLove (25-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
    :

If you are going to do something -
    do it well. You obviously do!

I think Norris was jealous

He did marry Angela nee Hawthorne
    AFTER she was divorced from.Derek
    And paid the price ... I think karma is a wonderful thing at times

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-10-2015), maidmarian (24-10-2015)

Coronation Street legend Thelma Barlow has paid tribute to her late co-star Peter Baldwin in an open letter, which also criticised a decision made by the ITV soap.

The actor, who played Derek Wilton for over 20 years alongside Barlow, died last month aged 82.

In the wake of his death, Barlow - known for her 26-year long role as Derek's wife Mavis - has written to the Radio Times in fond memory of her friend.

As she talked about their characters' relationship, Barlow criticised the ITV show for writing out fan-favourite Derek in 1997.

Describing the decision as "a complete shock" to both of them, Barlow believes that killing off Derek was "cruel blow" to both of the characters and the show.

She said: "Derek and Mavis were figures of fun a lot of the time – people don't always recognise that those who are quiet and unassuming can have more to offer than people who make a lot of noise about life.

"Once they got together, it was those two against the world – they took strength from and supported one another. It was a really good relationship. They were kind and considerate, but they learnt how to defend themselves and each other when others weren't very kind."

Thelma with on-screen lover Peter Baldwin outside The Ivy
    © Rex Features
    "It was a total shock when they decided to kill off Derek – I had been intending to leave for a couple of years, as I wanted to do more theatre, so they could easily have killed off Mavis instead.

"It was a cruel blow to Peter, and to me and to the Street really, as Derek was such a popular character.

"Now, with Peter's death, a chunk has been taken out of my life – I loved him dearly. I shall miss him such a lot."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-11-2015), maidmarian (18-11-2015)

A memorial for former Coronation Street star Peter Baldwin will take place later this week.

Friends, family and fans will be able to pay their respects to the late Corrie star on Thursday, April 14 at St Paul's church in Covent Garden, London.

Baldwin - who played Derek Wilton in the ITV soap for over 30 years - died last October at the age of 82.

Baldwin made his first appearance on the cobbles as Derek in 1976, soon becoming a fixture for his on-off romance with Mavis Riley.

Derek was killed off in 1997, with Baldwin later taking over ownership of the Covent Garden toyshop Pollock's.

Thelma Barlow, who played Derek's wife Mavis, paid tribute to the actor after his passing. In an open letter, she also stated how killing Derek off was a "cruel blow" to both of the characters and the show.

Digital Spy

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (13-04-2016), Glen1 (14-04-2016)

Thread Information