Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Morag Bellingham ( Cornelia Frances)

Sunday Telegraph article today. Cornelia Frances (Morag) has been diagnosed with cancer.

TV legend Cornelia Frances in fight for life after being diagnosed with cancer.

SHE might have come to fame as the nasty nurse Sister Scott in 1970s soapie Young Doctors but TV legend Cornelia Frances has been having a real health drama as she battles cancer.

The 76-year-old star — who also played Barbara Hamilton in 1980s soapie Sons And Daughters, was a quiz show queen in The Weakest Link and still pops up as the “evil” Morag in Home and Away — has opened up about her health battles in 2017.

And she also revealed she came across an even meaner medico than her fictional character.

“I had only just come out of surgery, and dealing with a fractured hip, which hurt like hell, when this nurse came to my bed and said: ‘Get up and walk’! I thought: This is worse than Sister Scott,” Francis said with a hearty laugh.

“She wasn’t joking either. But I soon adopted my ‘Morag stance’ and politely put her in her place.

“It turned out she hadn’t checked my charts and was unaware I had just had surgery. Now, Sister Scott would never made such a careless mistake.”

But while she can laugh now, things were looking very serious at one point.

“I swear I have had a hex placed on me for the past 12 months,” she said.

“I discovered I had bladder cancer. This then spread to my hip bone which fractured, and then I almost died from loss of blood due to an ulcer in my throat. Despite all this, I am still here, as the old song goes.”

Frances said it is only thanks admits that if not for the work of some brilliant surgeons and the love of her son, Lawrence, she would never have made it.

“When I got the ulcer in my throat, I did truly believe that this time my luck had finally run out,” Frances said.

She was bleeding so heavily from the ulcer during surgery that things were touch and go.

“I was a total mess according to my surgeon. He told me he didn’t believe they could get me back from the brink but somehow they did,” she said.

Francis found out she had cancer when going for a general check-up and, ironically, she received the cancer news at Royal North Shore Hospital, which was used as the set for the fictional Albert Memorial Hospital in Young Doctors.

“I was told that I did indeed have cancer and it had metastasised to my pelvic bone. I just froze as I heard that word, and thought: Oh please God, I know I haven’t been a practising Catholic for many years but I am still a believer, help me.”

She also received plenty of help from her son, who sneaked McDonald’s and chocolate bars into his mother’s hospital room — an offence that would have sent Sister Scott incandescent with rage.

“(But) with the way hospital food can taste, it was a Godsend,” she said.

She is not yet in remission but has high hopes for 2018 and perhaps a 30th season on Home and Away with her recurring guest role as Ray “Alf” Meagher’s evil sister Morag.

“I would dearly love to go back to Summer Bay but haven’t heard anything as yet,” she said.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (08-01-2018)

hope she fights it

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (07-01-2018), tammyy2j (08-01-2018)

Prayers for a full and speedy recovery xx

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (07-01-2018), tammyy2j (08-01-2018)

Cornelia/Morag is a National Treasure....no, make that - International Treasure loved the world over.

My heart sank reading the news. My love and heartfelt prayers that her cancer goes into remission. We`re all rooting for you Cornelia the Goddess of Soap Land.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TaintedLove For This Useful Post:

lizann (09-01-2018), Pantherboy (07-01-2018), Perdita (08-01-2018), tammyy2j (08-01-2018)

The dreaded C hits another, wish her good recover in her tough battle, prayers for her

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

lizann (09-01-2018), Pantherboy (08-01-2018), Perdita (08-01-2018), TaintedLove (08-01-2018)

https://www.who.com.au/home-and-away...ed-with-cancer

Hope she can beat this terrible illness

The Ch9 show 'A Current Affair' had a story on Cornelia tonight (I am not sure if you will be able to view the videos in these articles):

Frail Cornelia Frances vows to keep fighting 'painful' cancer

https://startsat60.com/health/big-is...painful-cancer

Home and Away star Cornelia Frances, well known for playing Morag Bellingham on the Aussie soap, has vowed to keep fighting her cancer, as she gave a brave and honest interview from her hospital bed.

The soap star, 76, first revealed she was fighting bladder cancer last month, and said she got the diagnosis in 2017 following a series of health scares.

Now, speaking on A Current Affair, she revealed her dramatic transformation as she continues to bravely fight the disease. Lying back in her bed in a hospital gown, the star wore large glasses to greet the show’s host, but kept her winning humour throughout.

“I’m fine, albeit what’s inside me, but really feeling OK,” she insisted. “The pain comes and goes but you expect that. It’s path of the cause.”

However, she insisted: “I’m going to fight it, by God I am.”

Speaking about her glittering career on TV, with top shows including The Weakest Link, Young Doctors and Home and Away, she added: “That’s 60 years of being in the industry which has thrilled me, it’s been a wonderful road and I’ve loved every minute.”

She’s made a name for herself thanks to her strong female roles, and is well known for her frosty attitude on screen – a far cry from her friendly nature in real life.

“Everybody knows I’m a b***h. Being naughty and wicked is great fun,” she joked. Asked if she’s keeping that strong mentality now, she said: “It’s a hard road but we’ll get there.”

She went on: “The nurses are really really sweet, except one from the other hospital, who’s an absolute tyrant.”

As her friends revealed she’s never received a Logie award, despite being nominated six times, she added: “It’s a public opinion. They like nice ladies, not b*****s or nasty people. I’ve enjoyed it, and being nominated is an honour.

“I’ve been very lucky, and I thanks all the producers who hired me.”

Meanwhile, as she was shown footage of her on her past TV shows, she said: “I’ve loved every soap I’ve been on, it’s hard not to. I’ve loved every one of them.

Frances rose to fame on Aussie soap Young Doctors in which she played the acid-tongued Sister Scott.

She also appeared on Sons and Daughters before taking on the role of Alf’s evil sister Morag on Home and Away.

Revealing her cancer battle for the first time earlier this year, told the Daily Telegraph that she almost didn’t make it through 2017 after undergoing surgery for the ulcer in her throat.

“I swear I have had a hex placed on me for the past 12 months,” she said at the time. “I discovered I had bladder cancer. This then spread to my hip bone which fractured, and then I almost died from loss of blood due to an ulcer in my throat. Despite all this, I am still here, as the old song goes.”

Her surgeon told her he “didn’t believe they could get me back from the brink” after she started bleeding heavily during the procedure. Despite the hard run, Frances always said she would fight the disease.

Frances was the third Home and Away star in recent years to be diagnosed with cancer.

Johnny Ruffo, who played Chris Harrington on the show, underwent surgery and radiation therapy last year after being diagnosed with brain cancer.

...also:

TV legend Cornelia Frances determined to battle cancer.

SHE’S graced our TV screens for six decades. Actress Cornelia Frances is now facing her toughest challenge

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...d836991cad6797

'Best b---- on TV' in fight of her life

https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainm...cid=spartandhp

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...f14e70d8c96908

My favourite character next to Alf .... RIP Cornelia

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (29-05-2018), Pantherboy (29-05-2018), tammyy2j (29-05-2018)

RIP Cornelia. She put up a brave fight against the evil big C. And farewell to Morag.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Perdita (29-05-2018), tammyy2j (29-05-2018)

Thread Information