Thread: End of EastEnders?

Question End of EastEnders?

The BBC has warned that it could have to axe EastEnders if Conservative plans to implement new policy comes to pass.

As the ongoing feud between the government and the corporation intensifies, new reforms could force the BBC to stop making programmes deemed too similar to commercial rivals - which could spell the end for the Walford-based soap.

Ian and Jane are shocked to see the police
    © BBC

The BBC said in a statement: "It does not make practical sense to say that the BBC should only make a programme if another broadcaster never would.

"That would mean that when ITV made Broadchurch, the BBC would have to stop making Happy Valley. Or it would mean that we should stop doing EastEnders because ITV does Coronation Street."

It comes in response to the Culture Secretary John Whittingdale's green paper released in July.

John Whittingdale arrives at Downing Street
    © Getty Images / Carl Court
    John Whittingdale

The paper accepted that the BBC can reach a wide base of licence fee payers with "popular content", but added that concerns had been raised the BBC "behaves in an overly commercial way encroaching on TV genres and formats that could be served well by its commercial competitors".

Under these rules, it would see The Voice UK also axed, as ITV has The X Factor.

The broadcaster previously said these decisions should rest with the public rather than the government, as it is the public who pay the licence fee.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (09-10-2015)

I find this attack on the BBC very worrying. There's a reason it's admired throughout the world as a media organisation of the highest quality.

However, I think EastEnders - as one of the most popular TV shows in the UK - will survive one way or another. I'm sure other channels would be very interested if the worst came to the worst.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 09-10-2015 at 21:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I find this attack on the BBC very worrying. There's a reason it's admired throughout the world as a media organisation of the highest quality.

However, I think EastEnders - as one of the most popular TV shows in the UK - will survive one way or another. I'm sure other channels would be very interested if the worst came to the worst.
    I think a lot of the adverse publicity with regards to Jimmy Saville etc might have damaged the reputation of Auntie Beep ... I am not sure BBC is still regarded as an organisation of the highest quality ...

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I think a lot of the adverse publicity with regards to Jimmy Saville etc might have damaged the reputation of Auntie Beep ... I am not sure BBC is still regarded as an organisation of the highest quality ...
    It's been damaging for sure, but the BBC is still one of the most highly regarded sources of TV and news throughout the world. It seems to me that it's only us from the UK who don't appreciate it and take it for granted. For example, the situation in the US is terrible. Their news channels and other media are almost all TV version of the Daily Mail and its despicable ilk.

Rupert Murdoch and his cronies will do anything to destroy the BBC because they feel threatened by it. I feel very strongly we can't allow that to happen.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 09-10-2015 at 21:43.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

parkerman (09-10-2015), Perdita (09-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    It's been damaging for sure, but the BBC is still one of the most highly regarded sources of TV and news throughout the world. It seems to me that it's only us from the UK who don't appreciate it and take it for granted. For example, the situation in the US is terrible. Their news channels and other media are almost all TV version of the Daily Mail and its despicable ilk.

Rupert Murdoch and his cronies will do anything to destroy the BBC because they feel threatened by it. I feel very strongly we can't allow that to happen.
    I have always regarded the BBC news service
    with respect. People like my grandad only
    ever watched the news on the BBC because
    it was regarded as fair and impartial.

But like a lot of things in life there has been
    slippage and spin they have regarded their
    position as inviolable.There has been politicisation
    for some time and not just one person/party.

I personally never have objected to paying
    the licence fee to ensure a variety and
    quality of programmes that other channels
    wont because they dont draw advertising
    revenue. But now that is declining too.
    Now people seek to evade the fee whereas
    probably whats needed is an increase
    properly - not profligately managed.

In a large workplace-rumours about personal
    behaviour are routine gossip and exageration. So
    for Savile and co to have gone undetected
    for decades is.... !! A.lot of first wise monkeys??
    Probably protection of own job - which is
    why people in other jobs dont whistleblow
    very often and no thanks if they do.!!

I get the impression from people I know
    who live & work abroad that the BBCs
    reputation is in decline.I have no.idea
    whether the new chairman can reverse that
    or whether the cumulation of scandals
    financial wastage and loss of impartiality
    have been too great? I hope not!

I think there are still reporters/ commenators
    of great integrity and courage there but others
    have left.
    It needs a root and branch overhaul before
    it can retrieve its former high reputation.(imo)

In short theyve supped with the devil - but
    not used a long enough spoon.
    Last edited by maidmarian; 09-10-2015 at 23:17.

Dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 09-10-2015 at 23:15.

I do agree with lots of what you say MM. The BBC is a huge organisation, and like many suffers from some deeply ingrained problems. No doubt there's an "old boys' network" that protects its own that needs to be dealt with. Problems like that aren't unique to the BBC though, and that's certainly not why there's so much political pressure on them at the moment (although those problems are being taken advantage of). That pressure's ideologically led by foreign media barons and their lapdog politicians purely for the purposes of profit.

If we don't want to end up with our country and its politics being completely controlled by the Rupert Murdochs of this world, we need a truly independent BBC as one of our major defences. And yes, there's work to be done in making the BBC truly independent again, which is why the politicians need to butt out.

I've never got the impression from my sister (who lived in the US until very recently) and from reading many worldwide sites that the international reputation of the BBC has been permanently damaged. It's still very highly respected.

Here's a petition to protect the BBC for anyone who's interested in doing that: https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/ca...rotect-our-bbc
    Last edited by Dazzle; 10-10-2015 at 00:05.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

parkerman (10-10-2015), Perdita (10-10-2015)

Thanks for the link, Dazzle. Petition duly signed.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (10-10-2015), Perdita (10-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    Thanks for the link, Dazzle. Petition duly signed.
    Also signed

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (10-10-2015)

Shouldn't this really be in the rumor board?

Thread Information