Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kyle (Riley Carter Millington)

Exclamation Kyle (Riley Carter Millington)

EastEnders bosses have announced that TV newcomer Riley Carter Millington will be joining the soap's cast as Kyle, a transgender character.

The 21-year-old is the first ever transgender actor to play a transgender character in a continuing UK soap role.

Riley Carter Millington as Kyle in EastEnders
    © BBC
    Riley Carter Millington as Kyle

Kyle will make a brief appearance on Albert Square this month, but little will be known about the mysterious character for quite some time. He will return on a permanent basis at the end of the year.

Speaking of his new role, Millington commented: "I am extremely excited to be joining EastEnders. I can honestly say that I have now fulfilled my two biggest dreams - to be living my life as a man and to be an actor.

"I cannot wait to really get stuck in with filming and I look forward to seeing what is in store for my character."

EastEnders' executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins first announced plans to create a transgender character in February, explaining that he was determined to cast a transgender actor in the role.

A number of transgender actors put themselves forward following the news, while EastEnders also undertook workshops to look for new talent. Once Millington was found, the character of Kyle was developed.

Treadwell-Collins said today: "From Mark Fowler's HIV to Colin and Barry's first gay kiss, EastEnders has always led the way in changing audience's perceptions about 'difference' - and ultimately making the world a better place.

"It has been my intention for a long time to cast a trans actor playing a trans role - and we have been so careful to ensure that we cast the right actor for the part. I've sat in many acting workshops over the years with our casting executive Julia Crampsie and her team - but never have we been so moved by the incredible life stories and wealth of talent that we experienced over our several weeks of workshops with transgender actors.

"The people we met showed us a strength and bravery that took our breath away - and to go through as much as they have while maintaining humour and a positive view on the world is testament to what special people we met."

He continued: "In Riley, we have found not just a talented actor but also an inspirational young man whose warmth immediately comes through the screen. And this isn't about tokenism. Alex Lamb and his story team have worked with Riley to create an EastEnders character who is fresh and relatable - but also comes with his own stock of secrets and is going to be thrown right into one of our biggest stories for the end of the year.

"I hope that the audience will take Riley and his character to their hearts as quickly as everyone here at EastEnders has done."

Fellow soaps Coronation Street and Hollyoaks have also previously had transgender characters Hayley Cropper and Blessing Chambers in the regular cast, although neither were played by transgender cast members.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (09-10-2015), lizann (11-10-2015), lyndapym (07-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    EastEnders bosses have announced that TV newcomer Riley Carter Millington will be joining the soap's cast as Kyle, a transgender character.
    I'm looking forward to seeing Kyle on screen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (09-10-2015)

EastEnders newcomer Kyle looks set to strike up a friendship with Stacey Branning in upcoming scenes.

New cast member Riley Carter Millington was spotted working with fan favourite Lacey Turner in scenes shot on location at a churchyard today (October 10).

Behind-the-scenes pictures appear to show Kyle and Stacey getting along like a house on fire, although further storyline details are staying under wraps for now.

EastEnders bosses announced Millington's casting yesterday. He is the first ever transgender actor to play a transgender character in a continuing UK soap role.

Kyle will make a brief appearance on Albert Square this month, before returning permanently at the end of the year. Show chiefs have teased that little will be known about his mysterious character for quite some time.

Riley Carter Millington and Lacey Turner film EastEnders on location
    © BBC / Kieron McCarron

Millington said yesterday: "I am extremely excited to be joining EastEnders. I can honestly say that I have now fulfilled my two biggest dreams - to be living my life as a man and to be an actor.

"I cannot wait to really get stuck in with filming and I look forward to seeing what is in store for my character."

EastEnders' executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins added: "Alex Lamb and his story team have worked with Riley to create an EastEnders character who is fresh and relatable - but also comes with his own stock of secrets and is going to be thrown right into one of our biggest stories for the end of the year.

"I hope that the audience will take Riley and his character to their hearts as quickly as everyone here at EastEnders has done."

Riley Carter Millington and Lacey Turner film EastEnders on location
    © BBC / Kieron McCarron

EastEnders casts Riley Carter Millington as transgender character Kyle
    Read more EastEnders spoilers and news

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (10-10-2015), lizann (11-10-2015), maidmarian (10-10-2015), Rear window (31-10-2015), tammyy2j (11-10-2015)

a new sibling for stacey, brian secret kid

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (11-10-2015), Rear window (31-10-2015), tammyy2j (11-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    a new sibling for stacey, brian secret kid
    I was thinking Kat's son but Riley is a he now so previously a she

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (13-10-2015)

Mysterious EastEnders newcomer Kyle looks set to feature in a big new storyline with Stacey Branning.

Kyle made his first appearance in the BBC soap's Halloween special on Friday night (October 30).

Riley Carter Millington as Kyle in EastEnders
    © BBC
    Riley Carter Millington as Kyle

The new arrival was seen keeping a close watch on Stacey from afar in the episode, before later sneaking into her Halloween party.

While Kyle kept a low profile throughout, viewers saw that he had a mysterious key around his neck - just like the one that Stacey became so fixated on in a recent storyline.

Stacey's key mystery has baffled EastEnders fans since March 2014. The story began when she gave a key to Lauren Branning to take care of, before handing herself into the police over Archie Mitchell's murder.

Kyle sneaks into Stacey's Halloween party
    © BBC
    Kyle sneaks into Stacey's Halloween party

Kyle has a key around his neck
    © BBC
    Kyle has a key around his neck

Earlier this year, it was revealed that the key was given to Stacey by her brother Sean and it once belonged to their dad, but she had no idea what it opened.

Stacey's mum Jean appeared to be much more clued-up as she freaked out when she found out that Stacey had the key this summer. Jean appeared to flush the key down the toilet at home, but it was later revealed that she still had it in her possession after all.

Could Kyle be a secret relative of Stacey's, or is there another reason he has the key? Only time will tell, but it seems that we're finally getting closer to this Walford mystery being resolved.

EastEnders first announced the arrival of Kyle earlier this month. Kyle is a transgender character, played by trans actor Riley Carter Millington.

Shortly after the announcement, Millington was spotted filming Christmas scenes with his new co-star Lacey Turner in a churchyard - indicating that the story will be revisited again towards the end of the year.

EastEnders' executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins recently commented: "Alex Lamb and his story team have worked with Riley to create an EastEnders character who is fresh and relatable - but also comes with his own stock of secrets and is going to be thrown right into one of our biggest stories for the end of the year.

digitalspy

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-10-2015), Rear window (31-10-2015)

It's official - EastEnders newcomer Kyle is a secret member of the Slater family.

Kyle finally revealed the truth to his half-sister Stacey Branning (Lacey Turner) in Monday night's cliffhanger (January 4), after spending the last few weeks secretly following her.

Kicking off a huge week for the Slaters, Kyle paid a visit to Walford with his friends after making a New Year resolution that it was time to tell Stacey the truth.

Nervous Kyle got cold feet when he arrived on Albert Square, but he finally plucked up the courage to approach Stacey when he spotted her leaving the pub with her newborn son Arthur.

In a classic case of soap bad timing, Kyle confronted Stacey just as she was planning to tell her partner Martin Fowler that he isn't Arthur's father.

Interrupting Stacey's planned bombshell with a shock revelation of his own, Kyle said: "Stacey Slater? I'm Kyle. I'm your brother!"

Speculation that Kyle could be a Slater had been mounting in recent weeks following the revelation that Stacey's father Brian had another family.

EastEnders' new regular will now be thrown straight into one of the show's biggest storylines as Stacey continues to struggle with postpartum psychosis following Arthur's recent birth.

When Stacey finds herself on a downward spiral this week and goes AWOL, it's Kyle that she calls for help - but her unstable behaviour soon leaves her brother concerned.

Kyle, a transgender character played by trans actor Riley Carter Millington, has been appearing on EastEnders since October.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (06-01-2016)

was martin's stalker also called sarah another twist from dominic

he is leaving

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (15-09-2016)

The revolving door over at EastEnders continues with the departure of Riley Carter Millington.

Riley made history last year when he first hit screens as Kyle Slater, becoming the first trans male actor to play a trans character in a UK soap.

However, his time on EastEnders is already coming to an end - with a spokesperson for the soap confirming that he's indeed leaving.

"When I landed a six month contract at EastEnders it was a dream come true," Riley told Metro tonight (September 14).

"For that to be extended to a year was something I never expected. However, as the time comes for Kyle to depart Walford, I am looking forward to taking on new roles and who knows, Kyle may find his way back to Walford one day."

Ahead of Kyle's first appearance last October, Riley expressed hoped that a trans character in Albert Square would "make a difference" for LGBTQ youth.

"It's a part of me and I want hopefully to make other people feel like they can come out, like they can feel that they've got support," he said at the time.

Kyle's time in Walford has seen him reconnecting with long-lost half-sister Stacey - and he's now embroiled in a blackmailing storyline with Steven Beale.

It's not yet clear how the character will be written out - although Riley is clearly keen for Kyle to find love before he goes.

"People think gender is the same as sexuality; they've been asking if Kyle is going to get with Ben Mitchell - but Kyle's not gay," Riley recently said.

"So it would be interesting to see him dating girls. Some will accept him, and some won't."

The announcement of his departure comes amidst the news that EastEnders favourites Masood Ahmed, Samantha Womack, Rita Simons and Ellen Thomas are leaving in the months ahead as well.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaz21 For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (15-09-2016), tammyy2j (15-09-2016)

Thread Information