Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Kate Oates new Coronation Street producer

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    An interesting article in the Radio Times about what Kate Oates can do to fix Corrie. I don't agree with all of it though.

I don't agree with his axings. I think the Nazirs have vastly improved (except perhaps Alya - sorry parkerman!), Andy has proved himself to be a very good character when written well. I think Erica has potential to be a good character though we haven't really seen any evidence of it yet.

I'd axe characters like Anna, Faye, Fiz, Kirk, Chesney, Sinead, Sean, Michael, Dev and Michelle. They've all had years to prove themselves but are not good actors (in my opinion) and the characters are stale and add nothing. Michelle has improved a lot but I'd rather see Steve with someone more like Becky or Karen again, who could really perk him up (no pun intended ).

I love the Platts but they have been overexposed recently - and Gail is in dire need of changing from a blithering idiot back to the feisty character she once was.

They're not going to drop any episodes as ITV depend on the advertising revenue. Also, the writer of the above article got it wrong about the recent Thursday episodes - they've only been added to make up for episodes that will be lost due to ITV showing the rugby. I don't think the number of episodes overall will be greater than usual.

I absolutely agree about the lack of long-term repercussions to storylines. For instance, Carla appears to have made a complete recovery from her gambling addiction, which is highly unrealistic. Tracy will undoubtedly go back to being tolerated by all even though everyone's aware she started the fire and allowed Carla to take the blame. Someone as introverted as Roy's whole world would have collapsed after the loss of Hayley, but after a few weeks he was back to functioning as usual. I quite like his potential romance with Kathy though as I think they're well-suited, but in real life I don't think Roy would want another partner after Hayley.

Taken from: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-09-19/10-ways-to-fix-coronation-street
    #7 is just awful. It's one of the things I hated the most with Kate Oates' work on Emmerdale. The shocking storylines were dumb. She often "forgot" how to write for certain characters, continuity and characterisation were not her strong suits at all. If she continues this on Corrie, then that's not exactly a good thing, is it?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to livden For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (05-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by livden View Post
    #7 is just awful. It's one of the things I hated the most with Kate Oates' work on Emmerdale. The shocking storylines were dumb. She often "forgot" how to write for certain characters, continuity and characterisation were not her strong suits at all. If she continues this on Corrie, then that's not exactly a good thing, is it?
    It's interesting looking back at that list now. Under point 6 it says

Fewer episodes per week might be a good place to start
    and point 8:

Tony Stewart is the most convincing alpha male since the days of Len Fairclough
    So Corrie bosses decide to add another episode and kill Tony off...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

parkerman (05-07-2016), Perdita (06-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by livden View Post
    The link does not work for me

and point 8:

I wonder how much influence the advertising sponsors have on storylines, if any ....

and point 8:

I wonder how much influence the advertising sponsors have on storylines, if any ....

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    The link does not work for me
    This is it: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-...onation-street

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Even if they theoretically have no influence, if they decided to have a word in someone's ear I imagine they'd be listened to.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 06-07-2016 at 12:27.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (06-07-2016)

Like I said, Kate Oates' work was universally loved and praised over at Emmerdale. I didn't share their joy though. I think she fell into stupid tropes like twists and shocking storylines far too often, and she didn't know how to write interpersonal relationships. Characters who used to talk all the time went months without talking or even mentioning each other.

An interesting article in the Radio Times about what Kate Oates can do to fix Corrie. I don't agree with all of it though.

I don't agree with his axings. I think the Nazirs have vastly improved (except perhaps Alya - sorry parkerman!), Andy has proved himself to be a very good character when written well. I think Erica has potential to be a good character though we haven't really seen any evidence of it yet.

I'd axe characters like Anna, Faye, Fiz, Kirk, Chesney, Sinead, Sean, Michael, Dev and Michelle. They've all had years to prove themselves but are not good actors (in my opinion) and the characters are stale and add nothing. Michelle has improved a lot but I'd rather see Steve with someone more like Becky or Karen again, who could really perk him up (no pun intended ).

I love the Platts but they have been overexposed recently - and Gail is in dire need of changing from a blithering idiot back to the feisty character she once was.

They're not going to drop any episodes as ITV depend on the advertising revenue. Also, the writer of the above article got it wrong about the recent Thursday episodes - they've only been added to make up for episodes that will be lost due to ITV showing the rugby. I don't think the number of episodes overall will be greater than usual.

I absolutely agree about the lack of long-term repercussions to storylines. For instance, Carla appears to have made a complete recovery from her gambling addiction, which is highly unrealistic. Tracy will undoubtedly go back to being tolerated by all even though everyone's aware she started the fire and allowed Carla to take the blame. Someone as introverted as Roy's whole world would have collapsed after the loss of Hayley, but after a few weeks he was back to functioning as usual. I quite like his potential romance with Kathy though as I think they're well-suited, but in real life I don't think Roy would want another partner after Hayley.

Taken from: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-09-19/10-ways-to-fix-coronation-street
    #9 has already been done though? Todd has gotten a new love interest

After reading the spoilers for the upcoming weeks and Kate Oates plans I remain underwhelmed. SPOILERS AHEAD

Seems like these are her ideas:

• Lets see how many couples can be rocked by an affair (basically Emmerdale all over again where she had THREE affairs going at once).
    • Lets go overboard with Phelan, he's clearly a villain, so why not make him into a complete psycho killer too! (basically Robert on Emmerdale all over again)
    • Forget about characterization and character development, why not have completely over the top stunts instead! (copying Emmerdale with the helicopter crash)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to livden For This Useful Post:

parkerman (23-07-2016), Perdita (23-07-2016)

Yes, it's not looking good.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Perdita (23-07-2016)

Thread Information