Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate Oates new Coronation Street producer

However, I'm just going by how I've read soap production works. It's possible major changes could be made quite quickly if she can convince her new bosses it's necessary.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 28-12-2015 at 19:11.

Big companies usually have a hand-over period for their senior staff .. I expect that SB and KO will also have communicated about current storylines and how they are to be played out ... so I would not expect too many drastic changes for the first half of the year but of course some planned storylines can be changed still or at least get tweaked a bit. Like Dazzle said, in the event of an actor not being available due to illness or even death, that will obviously have to be done at short noitice, otherwise I expect changes to subtle

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (28-12-2015), maidmarian (28-12-2015)

Coronation Street’s new boss wants to give more airtime to the soap’s golden oldies, the Sunday People can reveal.
    New producer Kate Oates , who officially joins the cobbles in April, is said to be keen to showcase the soap’s veteran stars by featuring them more onscreen and involving them in bigger plotlines.
    It means Corrie legends like William Roache, who plays Ken Barlow, Sue Nicholls , who plays Audrey Roberts, and Barbara Knox , who plays Rita Sullivan, could be brought to the forefront of the show.
    A show source said: “Kate loves the old formula of funny one liners from Corrie’s golden oldies so we can expect to see a lot more of them.
    “They are the much-loved characters who have been in the soap for decades and she’s knows viewers adore them.
    “Kate is a fantastic producer and she can’t wait to get started. She is determined to bring Corrie right back to its best.”
    The new boss, who formerly produced ITV soap Emmerdale , will take over at the helm from Stuart Blackburn.
    She has previously been rumoured to want a major shake-up of Weatherfield, bringing back major storytelling to the Street and introducing a new family.
    Corrie has been hit by several high-profile stars announcing their plans to leave the show in recent times, including Alison King and Ryan Thomas.
    Other actors, like David Neilsen and Brooke Vincent, are taking breaks from the soap.
    But some important names, including Kym Marsh and Michael Le Vell, have recently renewed their contracts.
    And actor Bill Roache, 83, who is the world’s longest-serving soap star, told us last week: “ I’m looking forward to my 100th birthday and I’ll probably still be in the Street .”
    A spokesperson for the soap said: “Kate Oates doesn’t start producing Coronation Street until April meaning no such conversations have been had. Any claims about her plans for the show are pure speculation.”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (25-01-2016)

Kate Oates doesn't start on Coronation Street until April, but she's already had to play down rumours of a mass cast cull.

The current Emmerdale boss will replace Stuart Blackburn when he vacates the post and noted that there's always pressure in the role, but "you have to be creative" to succeed. However, this doesn't mean she has any plans to kill off major characters.

"When I read [the reports] I laughed," Oates told the Daily Star Sunday. "I think the show has a great cast. I know a lot of them already and nobody has cause to be afraid. It's going to be fine."

One element that will be axed will likely be any future celebrity guest spots, like Sarah Harding and Paddy McGuinness. Instead, Oates wants to focus on bringing unknown talent to the cobbles.

"I think the decision to do cameo roles were based on storylines at the time. It paid off in that there was some press interest, which is always great. It can work sometimes and sometimes it does not," she explained.

"I didn't do it on Emmerdale. What I liked to do was bring in unknown talent, my own cast. If you look at somebody like Michael Parr, who plays Ross Barton, he was an unknown when we brought him into Emmerdale and that's really rewarding."

Back in December, a spokesperson for Coronation Street denied that Oates had plans to bring back three former characters when she starts working on the show. "No discussions have been had about her plans for the show and any reports are pure speculation," they told Digital Spy.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-01-2016), maidmarian (31-01-2016)

Coronation Street boss Kate Oates has admitted she’s considering bringing back some of the soap’s best loved characters when she takes over the top job next week.
    The former Emmerdale chief takes over the reins in Weatherfield and has been doing lots of research to bring a breath of fresh air to the cobbles.
    And she’s confessed she’s been looking at past characters that could return to spice things up sparking speculation about who will be making a Corrie comeback.
    Kate explained: “I’ve been tossing around a few ideas in my head about who will be back. There’s nothing I can really talk about yet. I’d need to talk to the writers first.
    “I think Corrie has a strong cast but also a strong history. And it’s nice to mix and match. I’m looking forward to seeing what the writers are interested in doing and matching their ideas with mine. Often you find yourselves thinking from the same place.
    “You think along similar lines. And I’m sure that’s true when it comes to bringing back popular characters.”
    And despite plenty of experience Kate admits she’s feeling nervous about taking on her new job.
    She said: “I start next week and there are nerves because I want to do my best. I want to pay back the faith people have put in me.
    “I want to do the cast proud. But I’m also very excited. There’s a part of me that just wants to get cracking.”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (27-03-2016)

So she's going to bring a breath of fresh air into Corrie by bringing back old characters? Er.......

11. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (27-03-2016)

Kate Oates, who will take over in two weeks, says someone like Poldark's Aidan Turner would be "brilliant" on the cobbles

New Corrie boss Kate Oates wants to introduce a hunk to the show - saying an actor like Aidan Turner “would be brilliant”.

The producer, who starts her new job in two weeks, says she will draw from her own personal experiences for inspiration and will tackle tough issues in the soap if it felt right.

She said: “British TV has really raised its game. There is Aidan Turner and there are a few others like him at the moment.

"There is a lot of talent out there and some of it is very handsome. Someone like Aidan would be brilliant.

“Since having time off at the beginning of the year I’ve been watching lots and lots of TV and taking it all in.”

PAAidan TurnerAidan Turner looking hunky at Poldark
    Kate highlights Carla Connor’s shocking rape and Sally Webster’s cancer battle as two of her all time favourite Corrie storylines.

Read more: Coronation Street legends set to return at the request of new boss

As well as drawing on her own life, she says she will tackle issues like extremism if it’s right for the show.

She said: “It’s sensitive at any time. With a storyline like that if you are going to look at it you would have to look at it responsibly.

“Everyone would have to be comfortably uncomfortable with it. I wouldn’t be closed to it. It’s very sensitive and people are affected by it in a very real way.”

Kate also hopes the cast will draw from their own experiences adding: “I think when Sally had cancer, that was a fascinating one simply because of what the actress bought to it and her own perspective.

ITVCoronation StreetSally Webster has battled cancer in Corrie, which is one of Kate's favourite storylines
    "The character is quite spikey in places then you see that deep vulnerability. It’s any storylines where you see layers of characters that are brilliant.”

Kate transformed Emmerdale after working on it for five years. And she insists she wants to respect Corrie’s history when planning plot lines.

BBCTom HiddlestonTom Hiddleston has set pulses racing in The Night Manager
    She explained: “Everyone says am I going to shake it up? It’s such a long standing show that you have to respect what is there and it’s history.

“For me it’s about telling the best stories I can and using the characters the best way I can.

"You just want to tell the most engaging, thought provoking, heartfelt stories you can. It’s about balance the whole time.”

Hunks who might fancy the chance to shine on Corrie could include Mark Wright, whose wife Michelle Keegan starred in it, I’m A Celebrity star George Shelley who wants to be an actor, Poldark actor Aidan Turner himself or The Night Manager star Tom Hiddleston. Ladbrokes made Mark Wright the 2/1 most likely of this foursome.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/c...-plans-7639302

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (28-03-2016)

The above Mirror article was just an excuse to print pictures of topless hunks...

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    The above Mirror article was just an excuse to print pictures of topless hunks...
    Yes, but where was Alya....

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    Yes, but where was Alya....
    No topless pictures of Alya I'm afraid, but perhaps this one is "phwooooar" enough to be going on with?

Last edited by Dazzle; 30-03-2016 at 02:01.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

alan45 (31-03-2016), parkerman (30-03-2016), Perdita (30-03-2016)

Thread Information