Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate Oates new Coronation Street producer

I hope you enjoy Corrie tonight Tainted Love, and can start watching it regularly when Kate Oates takes the reigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I hope you enjoy Corrie tonight Tainted Love, and can start watching it regularly when Kate Oates takes the reigns.
    Thanks Dazzle. I enjoyed it enormously. And that was despite Blackburn, and not because of him.
    The actors were superb tonight - well done to them all. The stand out performance for me was Roy Cropper - he was fantastic. Although I was pleasantly surprised just how good 'Sarah' was. David and Kylie were wonderful as always. Jack and Paula have always worked well together, and tonight was no exception.
    I was surprised to see Rita there in two scenes though. I saw an article in one of the online newspapers the other day that said she was too ill to appear. Either Barbara had a miraculous recovery or her scenes were pre-recorded.

Yes I know picky picky

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TaintedLove For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-09-2015)

I posted a later article on another thread to say Rita would be appearing in the live episode after all, so I don't think her scenes were pre-recorded.

I'm glad you enjoyed the episode Tainted Love. So did I.

New Coronation Street producer Kate Oates is said to be planning the change of tone to the show, which will put the focus on veteran members of the cast, to boost falling ratings
    The move was revealed at a charity event by one of the show’s stars, who said an excited Kate believes taking the soap back to its traditions is a prime target - and that means switching the focus away from the show’s youth and back to the likes of stalwarts like Rita, Norris, Audrey and Ken.
    Guests at the dinner event were told: “We hear that the new producer hasn’t been that keen on the way the show has been going in the last year or so and is relishing the chance to turn it around. The words ‘leave the dark stuff to EastEnders’ has been used and also that whenever heavy storylines are used it is said they should be interspersed with humour when applicable. It will be music to lots of fans’ ears especially the traditional older viewers. We have been told that the new producer believes Corrie always had a much older viewing audience and it is those viewers who have been switching off in their droves and they need to win them back. She thinks there should be more of an emphasis on bringing back the old Street humour which it was famous for – and the old brigade are just brilliant at performing that. Obviously the young cast are doing a terrific job but we are told there is a feeling that the likes of characters like Norris have been somewhat neglected. It sounds like there are exciting times ahead for the show with the new boss arriving and the more mature members of the cast are aware of the new direction that is coming.”
    One guest who heard the words, said: “It definitely sounded 100 per cent that Corrie is going to return to its old roots of giving people a proper chuckle as well as producing great storylines. We heard that the new boss wasn’t a fan of some of the stuff that has been aired this year and was wanting to really make her mark when she takes over.”
    Ex-Emmerdale boss Kate will succeed controversial producer Stuart “the Grim Reaper” Blackburn when he leaves the show in the new year after three years at the helm.
    Stuart previously expressed that he felt his nickname killed off his chance of success. It is claimed morale was so low that cast and crew cheered when it was announced the 55-year-old was leaving.
    He said : “I described my arrival as evolution not revolution. But as far as the cast were concerned I was the Grim Reaper and nothing could change that. The cast seemed terrified that loads of people were going to be axed.”
    Stuart's highlights included the sensitive handling of Hayley Cropper’s death, Steve McDonald’s depression, the mini bus crash and live episodes including the fatal fire - but he was blasted over low points including a clumsy attempt at covering racial issues, too many daft gangster plots and bringing in ex-celebs like former Girls Aloud star Sarah Harding.
    Some production staff also claimed there was a divide in the Corrie cast camp – with Stuart allegedly favouring some stars against others which sparked rival groups to be formed

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (28-12-2015), Glen1 (28-12-2015)

Well, he leaves in January and they are 6 weeks of shows to see after he goes ( we are 6 weeks behind the making ) so it is going to be March before she can start ! .

Storylines are planned up to a year in advance, and scripts written months in advance, so it'll probably be a while before there are any significant changes on screen.

She could decide to bin the scripts and get new ones written if that is viable..

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseP View Post
    She could decide to bin the scripts and get new ones written if that is viable..
    I think that would be very disruptive and expensive, and would probably only be done in extreme circumstances: like the death of a major cast member or if a storyline causes a public uproar (which is what happened with EastEnders' baby swap storyline).
    Last edited by Dazzle; 28-12-2015 at 18:54.

Angry

Yes, maybe. Well that means that we have got at least a year to wait for any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseP View Post
    Yes, maybe. Well that means that we have got at least a year to wait for any changes.
    Probably not as long as a year. Perhaps six months?

We could see changes in tone and edits to scripts fairly quickly, but I think Stuart Blackburn's storylines will have to play out for the most part. Also, I expect characters without any major storylines coming up could be axed fairly quickly.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 28-12-2015 at 19:28.

Thread Information