Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate Oates new Coronation Street producer

Exclamation Kate Oates new Coronation Street producer

Big changes are ahead for Coronation Street and Emmerdale as both soaps will be getting new producers.

Coronation Street is bringing in Emmerdale's current boss Kate Oates to take charge at the show, replacing Stuart Blackburn in the post.

Meanwhile, current Hollyoaks series producer Iain MacLeod will be taking over from Oates as the new producer of Emmerdale.

Oates will start work at Coronation Street in the New Year, when Blackburn moves on to other drama projects for ITV Studios. She has been producing Emmerdale since 2013, but also previously worked on Corrie as assistant producer.

"I'm delighted to accept the role as Coronation Street's new producer," Oates said today. "It's really exciting to be moving from one amazing soap to another and I feel very blessed.

"Emmerdale is an exceptional programme and I've thoroughly enjoyed working with the cast, writers and crew. They are some of the absolute best in the business and it's been a privilege to work with such dedicated, hard-working and creative people, and make some life-long friends in the process.

"But as much as Emmerdale has meant the world to me, Corrie also has a special place in my heart."

Discussing his upcoming exit from Weatherfield, Blackburn commented: "I've loved every minute of producing Coronation Street. What a rollercoaster ride the last three years has been. We've met every challenge along the way and I can't praise the cast, crew and writers highly enough for rising to the occasion with each storyline.

"Whether it's been the hilarity of Sally and Tim's relationship, Carla's descent into gambling addiction, or highlighting Simon Barlow's abuse of Leanne, each story has been incredibly well crafted, directed and performed to the highest of television production standards.

"I'm in awe of everyone I work with and can't thank them enough for the last three years. For the next few months my focus will remain entirely on all things Corrie, as we have massive stories coming up taking us in to the spring and summer of 2016. I wish my friend Kate well in her role as she takes on one of the best jobs in television."

MacLeod, who has worked as series producer at Hollyoaks since 2013, will start work at Emmerdale at the end of the year. He has previously served ITV as a researcher and story editor at Coronation Street between 2009 and 2013.

"Taking the reins of a programme in such rude health is both highly exciting and a mouth-watering challenge, and I could not be more delighted to be tasked with taking Emmerdale forward," MacLeod said.

"To work on a show with such pedigree, such brilliant characters and storytelling, and with such a talented team already in place is a dream for anyone in my line of work and I can't wait to get cracking."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-09-2015), Glen1 (19-09-2015), maidmarian (18-09-2015), tammyy2j (18-09-2015)

previously " reseacher and story editor" on
    both Corrie and ED .Oh dear!

I wont prejudge - as dont know what stories/
    when he was involved in.
    I look forward to less loopholes and
    more accuracy!!

Quote Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
    previously " reseacher and story editor" on
    both Corrie and ED .Oh dear!

I wont prejudge - as dont know what stories/
    when he was involved in.
    I look forward to less loopholes and
    more accuracy!!
    I won`t prejudge Iain`s work either as I haven`t watched Hollyoaks in years (since the mad priest went on a rampage). But from what I`ve witnessed on message boards, his work on Hollyoaks has been a real ratings winner the past few years.
    I wish him well for Emmerdale, and I am optimistic he will do a good job. He has some huge shoes to fill in Emmerdale though. On the whole, I did Kate did a brilliant job in Emmerdale. Some of the storylines there has really kept me gripped since she`s been at the helm.
    I wish her and Iain evry sucess. The Hat can get stuffed for all I care. At least he won`t be ruining Downton Abbey, as they`ve already filmed the final eps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TaintedLove For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (18-09-2015)

Is it just a shuffling system at ITV now? You've been a producer of Emmerdale for x years so it's time we moved you to Corrie. Then you can go elsewhere.

I'm a firm believer that a person should only be a producer on one soap. It's not foulproof, but I do think the soaps are a lot better when producers haven't come from other soaps. Stuart Blackburn and Bryan Kirkwood are both disaster zones.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (19-09-2015), maidmarian (18-09-2015), Perdita (18-09-2015)

I must admit, it must be becoming more and more difficult to bring in new storylines and even those they have shown which would normally go on for years are being cut short, I guess to stop audience from getting too bored when faced with reality. I wish the producers good luck and hope they can keep the long running soaps going

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (19-09-2015), maidmarian (18-09-2015), parkerman (18-09-2015)

I hope this is good news for Corrie as it really needs a shake-up. Long gone are the days when it was compulsive viewing, although for me personally it hasn't reached the nadir that EE did before DTC came on board.

Quite a few characters need axing in my view, as well as an improvement in writing and storytelling.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 19-09-2015 at 00:10.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (19-09-2015), lizann (19-09-2015), maidmarian (18-09-2015), tammyy2j (18-09-2015)

I think is good news, Oates did well on Emmerdale

An interesting article in the Radio Times about what Kate Oates can do to fix Corrie. I don't agree with all of it though.

10 ways to fix Coronation Street
    As we ready ourselves for a new regime in Weatherfield, David Brown looks at some strategies for improving Corrie

With a new broom coming in at Corrie as Emmerdale boss Kate Oates takes over, we suggest ten ways in which new life could be injected into life on the Street...

1. Drop the under-performing characters

The Nazirs have been in search of a purpose ever since they arrived. The exit of Kal didn’t help and neither did ‘comedy’ plotlines like the one concerning their pet chickens. Also, Erica Holroyd has never had any chemistry with Nick, while Fake Andy/Gavin has hardly made much of an impact.

2. No more repetitive plotlines

Let’s have a break from mad mums snatching kids and tortured murderers wrestling with their conscience. And can we stop the Street from being set on fire every few months as well, please? The Victoria Court blaze should be the last for a good long time.

3. Keep track of continuity

Plotlines are currently being burned through so quickly that key facts keep on being forgotten about. Kevin Webster’s dead son Jake erased from memory, Tim being seen with a newspaper despite not having the ability to read, plus Sinead going on a gruelling survival weekend with Paddy McGuinness despite only just learning to walk again…

4. Too much Platts

Much as we love Gail’s clan, must they be involved in all the storylines? For the last year or so, it’s been David and Callum, Gail and Michael, Nick and Erica and – pretty soon – Audrey and Ken. Spread the Corrie love around and give us more comedy with Dev, Rita or Norris. And something more substantial for Liz than just being cheated on by no-good men.

5. Stop the stunt casting

Sarah Harding. Enough said.

6. Go back to basics

Fewer episodes per week might be a good place to start (slipping in an extra instalment in on a Thursday, for instance, is unnecessary). But also, where has that mix of wry humour, pathos and human drama gone? Corrie has always been at its best when you see matriarchal women gossiping at the bar about the fecklessness of their fellas.

And while big stunts can be great, it’s best that they don’t ill serve the characters involved. Killing Tina for the sake of having Rob live with the guilt was a waste, while the minibus crash only undermined the previously mature way in which Steve’s declining mental health had been handled.

7. Sprinkle some of that Emmerdale magic

One of the joys of the Dales-set soap has been its ability to branch its storylines off in unexpected directions while retaining the sense of a cohesive whole. So Robert has an affair with Aaron, Robert kills Katie and makes Aaron complicit, Chrissie finds out about Robert’s affair and ends up accidentally causing the helicopter crash, which then gives her a motive for shooting Robert. See how it’s done? Each storyline has the potential to spin-off into something fresh.

With Corrie, there has been none of that lately. Plots come to a crashing halt with no explanation given: Roy’s anger-management, Carla’s gambling, Anna’s money worries – now all barely mentioned.

8. Build on what has worked

OK, so it’s not all been bad. Sally’s relationship with Tim is fun, while Tony Stewart is the most convincing alpha male since the days of Len Fairclough. Keep Steve and Michelle together. And Nick Tilsley’s unpredictability since his brain injury also seemed to be working well. Don’t go back to him being bland, boring Nick again.

9. Introduce a new Street siren

With Alison King set to take a 12-month break, this feels like a necessity. Or, at the very least, reintroduce the same air of sexiness that had us all going potty for Elsie Tanner or Deirdre’s affair with Mike. Make Michelle less downtrodden behind the bar and give Todd a new love interest, for heaven’s sake.

10. Pay homage to the past

You have a 55-year history to play with, so why not mine it for all its worth? Get Toyah Battersby back, recast Adam Barlow, bring in one of Dev’s illegitimate offspring, have Mary’s never-before-seen mum pay her a visit. And for the love of all things Weatherfield…do what it takes to reinstall Peter as a permanent fixture!
    I don't agree with his axings. I think the Nazirs have vastly improved (except perhaps Alya - sorry parkerman!), Andy has proved himself to be a very good character when written well. I think Erica has potential to be a good character though we haven't really seen any evidence of it yet.

I'd axe characters like Anna, Faye, Fiz, Kirk, Chesney, Sinead, Sean, Michael, Dev and Michelle. They've all had years to prove themselves but are not good actors (in my opinion) and the characters are stale and add nothing. Michelle has improved a lot but I'd rather see Steve with someone more like Becky or Karen again, who could really perk him up (no pun intended ).

I love the Platts but they have been overexposed recently - and Gail is in dire need of changing from a blithering idiot back to the feisty character she once was.

They're not going to drop any episodes as ITV depend on the advertising revenue. Also, the writer of the above article got it wrong about the recent Thursday episodes - they've only been added to make up for episodes that will be lost due to ITV showing the rugby. I don't think the number of episodes overall will be greater than usual.

I absolutely agree about the lack of long-term repercussions to storylines. For instance, Carla appears to have made a complete recovery from her gambling addiction, which is highly unrealistic. Tracy will undoubtedly go back to being tolerated by all even though everyone's aware she started the fire and allowed Carla to take the blame. Someone as introverted as Roy's whole world would have collapsed after the loss of Hayley, but after a few weeks he was back to functioning as usual. I quite like his potential romance with Kathy though as I think they're well-suited, but in real life I don't think Roy would want another partner after Hayley.

Taken from: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-...onation-street
    Last edited by Dazzle; 19-09-2015 at 20:03.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (19-09-2015), lizann (19-09-2015), parkerman (19-09-2015), TaintedLove (21-09-2015)

bring in a female baldwin a new ex wife of danny or mark to run factory

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    An interesting article in the Radio Times about what Kate Oates can do to fix Corrie. I don't agree with all of it though.

I don't agree with his axings. I think the Nazirs have vastly improved (except perhaps Alya - sorry parkerman!), Andy has proved himself to be a very good character when written well. I think Erica has potential to be a good character though we haven't really seen any evidence of it yet.

I'd axe characters like Anna, Faye, Fiz, Kirk, Chesney, Sinead, Sean, Michael, Dev and Michelle. They've all had years to prove themselves but are not good actors (in my opinion) and the characters are stale and add nothing. Michelle has improved a lot but I'd rather see Steve with someone more like Becky or Karen again, who could really perk him up (no pun intended ).

I love the Platts but they have been overexposed recently - and Gail is in dire need of changing from a blithering idiot back to the feisty character she once was.

They're not going to drop any episodes as ITV depend on the advertising revenue. Also, the writer of the above article got it wrong about the recent Thursday episodes - they've only been added to make up for episodes that will be lost due to ITV showing the rugby. I don't think the number of episodes overall will be greater than usual.

I absolutely agree about the lack of long-term repercussions to storylines. For instance, Carla appears to have made a complete recovery from her gambling addiction, which is highly unrealistic. Tracy will undoubtedly go back to being tolerated by all even though everyone's aware she started the fire and allowed Carla to take the blame. Someone as introverted as Roy's whole world would have collapsed after the loss of Hayley, but after a few weeks he was back to functioning as usual. I quite like his potential romance with Kathy though as I think they're well-suited, but in real life I don't think Roy would want another partner after Hayley.

Taken from: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-09-19/10-ways-to-fix-coronation-street
    That`s the perfect solution Dazzle. Thanks so much for posting it. ♥
    I have been watching Corrie since I was a very young girl. I was 6 years old and used to sneak downstairs and watch through a partly closed door in the living room when I should have been in bed. My parents must have twigged I was there because the door was always left open far enough where I could see the telly and avoid detection. But I`m sure my parents weren`t fooled. they probably figured as long as I was quiet then I was ok. And as soon as it finished I scooted back upstairs as quietly as I could. As a 5/6 year old watching the coach crash around 1969 was very thrilling.
    That`s why I despise Blackburn so much for what he has done to my beloved Corrie. It was because of him that I stopped watching it a few months ago. I always vowed I wouldn`t watch it again til he was gone. I will watch it tonight, and probably dip in and out of it until the New Year when he has completely gone. and Kate Oates name appears as Producer.
    Good riddance.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TaintedLove For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-09-2015)

Thread Information