Thread: Doctor Foster

Doctor Foster

Doctor Foster follows the eponymous doctor (Suranne Jones) whom is a trusted GP, the heart of her village and a woman people can trust. But Doctor Foster’s life is about to explode. When she suspects her husband has been having an affair, Doctor Foster is determined to find out the truth. But when she looks into matters the secrets she uncovers propel her, her family, and even some of her patients, into chaos.

The five-parter, which was originally commissioned back in 2014, was created by The Town scribe Mike Bartlett and is set up at The Honourable Woman indie Drama Republic. In addition to Suranne Jones, the cast also includes Bertie Carvel (Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell), Robert Pugh (The Thirteenth Tale), Adam James (Gunpowder 5/11: The Greatest Terror Plot) and Jodie Comer (My Mad Fat Diary).

It starts on Wednesday September 9th at 9pm on BBC 1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (04-09-2015), maidmarian (03-09-2015)

is this worth watching, starting here on irish tv and have seen good reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    is this worth watching, starting here on irish tv and have seen good reviews
    I think so. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (21-01-2016)

Yes its really good Lizann, well worth watching.
    Tuareet

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuareet For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (21-01-2016)

Doctor Foster with the brilliant Suranne Jones is coming back for a second series - no surprise, given it was one of, if not the most, talked-about drama series of last year - setting Twitter ablaze every Wednesday night for five weeks.

It was hailed by critics, earning multiple nominations at the National Television Awards - and in the prestigious Digital Spy Reader Awards 2015.

And the ratings were sensational. A final figure of 10.1 million tuned in for the high-tension finale, establishing the show as the biggest new BBC drama of the year.

Mike Barlett's infidelity thriller set viewers' nerves twitching with paranoia, with Jones suspecting that the series' success was partly down to it being "slightly uncomfortable viewing".

But with a (loosely) tied-off ending, where though can Doctor Foster go from here? What's next for woman scorned Gemma - and cheating scoundrel Simon (the superbly sleazy Bertie Carvel)?

Shooting on the new series is expected to kick off in September - which means you probably shouldn't expect new episodes 'til early 2017.

Why the hold-up? A few reasons - Jones welcomed her first child with husband Laurence Akers in March 2016, so is taking a well-deserved break.

Then there's the busy schedules of the entire cast, plus writer Bartlett's commitments to Press - a new drama series set in the unpredictable world of print journalism.

That's the bad news. The good is that "most of the original cast" - which included Jodie Comer as Kate, with Neil Stuke and Sara Stewart as her parents Chris and Susie - will return.

"It's not going to be a whole new ball game," Jones has said of Doctor Foster v.2. "It's a continuation of Gemma and Simon's story, but it's a different stage in their life..."

In case you haven't caught the first series of Doctor Foster yet (and what are you playing at - it's only five episodes and it's fantastic), here's a brief précis:

Jones plays Gemma Foster - a GP who's happily married to property developer Simon, with whom she has a young son, Tom (Tom Taylor).

The discovery of a blonde hair on Simon's scarf leads Gemma to unravel a web of lies - that Simon has been having an affair with Kate Parks, the daughter of one of her patients. And worse, Kate is carrying his child.

Though she plots revenge, Gemma decides to stay with Simon after the death of his mother - and the affair appeared to be over with.

But Simon was still cheating - and Gemma finally exposes his infidelity and dodgy business dealings to Kate's parents over a painfully fraught dinner.

After a violent confrontation between husband and wife, Simon and his mistress slipped away. But Gemma won custody of their son, having proven unequivocally that she was not to be made a fool of.

It's hard to fathom where Doctor Foster can go from here - and Jones admitted to Digital Spy in April 2016 that she "had to be convinced" a second series would work before signing on.

"[It was] because my story had finished," she explained. "But then when they told me what they wanted to do with it, I felt that nothing had been done on television like it."

Her co-star Carvel has also dismissed suggestions that a second series could be "a cynical exercise in just regurgitating the success" of the first.

"I don't think any of us really want or need to do that, so it'll be its own story, with its own motor," he insisted.

The new episodes will explore "what happens to a woman after divorce, deceit and revenge has taken its toll", according to Jones.

"That had only just been touched on [in the first series] - so yeah, we start with the trauma and what happens in the period after," she told DS.

Elaborating after her BAFTA win in May 2016, Jones hinted series two will "look at what actually happens when two people have to live with each other and parent a child."

For his part, writer Barlett has hinted that the second series will explore the longer-reaching consequences of Simon's cheating - and of Gemma's revenge.

"Her life in Parminster may look better on the surface, but as she will discover to her cost, every action has its consequences eventually. No-one comes through hell unscathed."

Some viewers felt that phildandering Simon got off too easy at the climax to the first series - escaping for a new life with his pregnant mistress. This audience was out for blood - so will series two deliver?

"I don't know what kind of comeuppance people are wishing for - whether there's blood and death and castration involved..." actor Carvel told Digital Spy late last year.

"I don't wish unhappiness on anyone, neither do I think this is a story with a good guy - or girl - and an evil guy. It's a story about recognisable flawed human beings."

It sounds like Bertie is keen for his character to escape a grisly fate - though we doubt Doctor Foster fans will be easily swayed...

Digital Spy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

alan45 (21-06-2016)

she more a nutter this time around, i would not want her as my doctor

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    she more a nutter this time around, i would not want her as my doctor
    I would!!!!!!!!!!
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Thread Information