Thread: Liam Bairstow to play Cathy's nephew

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    good on corrie just give him decent storylinesu
    Yes - I hope he does get a good story and
    chance to show what he can do.!!
    This reminded me of an early Inspector Frost
    episode where a Downs Syndrome Actor-
    Timmy Lang-played a major role( he was a not
    guilty murder suspect) and got great reviews.!!

He did get several roles in the years after that
    but couldnt see he had done any acting since

Quote Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
    This reminded me of an early Inspector Frost
    episode where a Downs Syndrome Actor-
    Timmy Lang-played a major role( he was a not
    guilty murder suspect) and got great reviews.!!
    I remember that episode very well. I found it distressing because the ignorant mob immediately judged him guilty because he was different.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (13-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I remember that episode very well. I found it distressing because the ignorant mob immediately judged him guilty because he was different.
    that part was very sad! But he played his part well.
    Some people are very" brave "in a mob - against
    some one more vulnerable!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (13-08-2015)

Dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 13-08-2015 at 13:58.

When Coronation Street newcomer Liam Bairstow went down a storm with fans on social media last weekend, it was clear that the soap had found itself a new rising star.

The actor has taken on the role of Alex Warner, the cheeky nephew of Cathy Matthews who has already struck up a strong bond with Roy Cropper.

Bairstow is the first cast member with Down's Syndrome to join Coronation Street after impressing the show's bosses at a workshop that they held for actors with disabilities earlier in the year. The 28-year-old northerner got on the phone to Digital Spy this week, for his first big chat since joining the ITV show.

Admitting that his new-found soap fame is still sinking in, he explained: "I feel really happy to be part of Coronation Street because I was a big fan of the show when I was a little boy."

Cathy and Roy are embarrassed when Alex assumes they are an item
    © ITV

The newcomer's TV success follows six years of hard work training with Mind the Gap, a Bradford-based theatre company for performers with learning disabilities.

Reflecting on his recent rise to prominence, Bairstow told us: "I went to the Corrie workshop and didn't know that it would lead to me getting a part. I couldn't believe it at first. When my tutor Charli Ward delivered the news, I got a bit emotional.

"Joining Coronation Street has been unbelievable because it's the biggest soap. I've got another episode coming up on October 30, but after that you'll have to watch this space and stay glued!

"The cast have been really nice to work with. It's been really great to have scenes with David Neilson who plays Roy, since he's been on Coronation Street for so long. It's been really great to work with a legend.

"Melanie Hill who plays Cathy has been really nice too. She reminds me of my gran actually because she looks after me. But I would say the person I was looking forward to meeting the most was Kym Marsh! I remember seeing her on my first day when I went into The Rovers - she's one of my favourites."

Mind the Gap was established in 1988 and Bairstow is among eight resident artists who have been trained though the organisation's Academy.

Since joining, he's been involved in many productions including a national tour of Treasure Island, which required him taking on 6 different roles in the same show.

"I've wanted to act since I was a kid," Bairstow explained. "When I was little, I used to have a speech impediment and there were people at school who really bullied me a lot. It was really hurtful, but to get over that I've been working with Mind the Gap. I know now that it's best to talk about it and get it off your chest.

"I've been at Mind the Gap for six years and I see myself as a coach to all of my other friends. I'd love to work with them more and try to get them on TV like me.

"When I was in the newspaper a few weeks ago, all of my friends in the pub were really shocked. I had really nice comments - they were saying, 'Oh, the little boy from Allerton has turned into a grown-up!'"

Liam Bairstow in Mind The Gap's production of Treasure Island
    © Mind The Gap / Tim Smith
    Liam Bairstow in Treasure Island

Alongside his soap commitments, Bairstow is still working with Mind the Gap on another theatre production called Contained, which features nine interwoven stories focusing on family, friends, love and loss. This will be going on tour with six dates in October and November.

Corrie bosses may also have to snap the star up on a long-term contract quickly, as he's also a big fan of a certain other soap across the Pennines.

Bairstow laughed: "I'm a big fan of Emmerdale too and I'd love to have a role on that in the future. My favourite on that show is Charley Webb who plays Debbie Dingle.

"But I'm working with Coronation Street at the moment and I don't know what's going to happen - I'm just going to go with the flow!"

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3...#ixzz3m9bzy1av
    Last edited by Perdita; 19-09-2015 at 05:07.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-09-2015), maidmarian (19-09-2015)

Coronation Street’s Liam Bairstow says he’s keeping everything crossed that bosses make his character a permanent fixture on the cobbles this year.
    It certainly looks like it’s heading that way next week when his alter ego, Alex, gets himself into a spot of bother and announces that he wants to move in with his aunty Cathy and Roy Cropper.
    Here Liam gives us a hint of what’s to come in the next few weeks for Alex…
    Is Alex’s drinking a recent problem? It is a recent thing, he’s drinking with his friends. I think he’s trying to impress his friends so he can be part of the group. It makes him feel like they welcome him being with them.
    What does his Auntie Cathy think of his drinking? She’s not happy but if anyone can get through to him it’s Cathy. He thinks she’s a bit of a nag at the moment but she’s no worse than his mum, Nessa.
    Can you tell us what’s going on at home with his mum, Nessa? Lately she’s been trying to get Alex to go to Scotland with her and her new boyfriend. But he doesn’t really want to go. He wants to stay with his Auntie Cathy and Roy but things take a turn for the worse.
    Why doesn’t he want to move to Scotland? He doesn’t get along with his mum’s boyfriend. His mum doesn’t spend a lot of time with him, she’s really not interested.
    Why does he want to move in with Cathy? Because he knows Cathy cares more than his mum. Cathy treats him like a nephew but also like a son. He likes Cathy.
    Has anyone in the cast taken you under their wing and shown you the ropes? William Roache is so supportive and always gives me a hug when he sees me. Kym Marsh, Debbie Rush and Beverley Callard have been great too and Melanie Hill who plays Cathy has done some extra rehearsals with me and she’s been really supportive which helps with the relationship between the characters.
    Who have you enjoyed working with the most? David (Neilson who plays Roy). I really like him. Shayne Ward as well, I’ve done lots of scenes with him now.
    Have you been recognised by Corrie fans when you’ve been out and about? I’ve had girls wave at me and someone asked me for a selfie at the train station.
    What else is coming up for Alex in the coming weeks/months? I don’t know but there’s been talk about a possible girlfriend in the long term.
    You mentioned before that you’d love to be in Emmerdale – is that still a dream of yours or are you loyal to Corrie now? I did say that but now I want to be loyal to Coronation Street because ever since I was a little boy I’ve always watched it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-04-2016)

Romance could be on the horizon for Coronation Street's Alex Warner.

Liam Bairstow, who joined the show as the cheeky nephew of Cathy Matthews last year, has admitted that Alex could be finding love in the near future.

"I don't know but there's been talk about a possible girlfriend in the long term," he said.

There are more exciting times ahead for Alex as he prepares to move to Weatherfield to live with Cathy next week. Alex will turn to Cathy after Nessa announces that she is taking him to live in Scotland.

Alex asks Cathy for his money
    © ITV
    Discussing Alex's decision to stay behind, Bairstow said: "He knows Cathy cares more than his mum. Cathy treats him like a nephew but also like a son."

Life with Cathy certainly won't be a breeze, however, as she gets tough with Alex in upcoming episodes when he turns up late for a shift after a heavy night of partying.

Bairstow added: "I think he's trying to impress his friends so he can be part of the group. It makes him feel like they welcome him being with them.

"Cathy's not happy about it but if anyone can get through to him, it's her. He thinks she's a bit of a nag at the moment but she's no worse than his mum Nessa."

Digital Spy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (20-04-2016)

I hope Cathy runs past Roy Alex moving in before just doing it??!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sarah c For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (20-04-2016)

Coronation Street villain Pat Phelan could be about to commit his most heinous crime yet when he teams up with a vulnerable Alex Warner.

Liam Bairstow - who was the first cast member with Down's Syndrome to join the ITV soap - has teased that there may be big trouble on the way for his character when he starts to make plans with Phelan.

Alex's rebellious antics have already been giving Kathy and Roy a number of headaches recently, but it looks like things will get a whole lot worse.

"I think Alex is going to carry on being quite naughty, but he and Phelan will be making some plans together," Liam said to Inside Soap.

"It's going to bring out more of Alex's vulnerable side.We'vey seen his cheeky side so far, so I'm really looking forward to that."

And Liam also shared a useful piece of advice given to him by his former co-star Ryan Thomas, who recently bowed out of his role as Jason.

"Ryan gave me good advice. He said that if you mess it up, just think of someone pretty in your head. But my biggest inspiration is Charli, my tutor from Mind The Gap. She's helped me a lot."

Corrie producer Kate Oates recently revealed some fresh gossip involving Phelan and his latest schemes, but could Todd stand in his way?

Digital Spy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (03-08-2016)

Thread Information