Thread: All Creatures Great and Small

All Creatures Great and Small

This section doesn't seem to have been used for a while, so I just thought I'd revive it.

The reason being that I have just been watching a re-run of All Creatures Great and Small on Drama. It has confirmed my long held view that this is the best TV series ever shown on TV. It's uncomplicated gentle humour, excellent characterisation, great acting, wonderful scenery and brilliant theme tune all combine to make it compulsive viewing that has never, in my opinion, been beaten.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (06-08-2015), hward (01-08-2015), maidmarian (01-08-2015), Perdita (01-08-2015)

I agree, I used to love watching it. And I don't think any big-budget "glammed up" re-make can ever be anywhere near as good.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hward For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (06-08-2015), parkerman (01-08-2015), Perdita (01-08-2015)

I quite agree that it's the best TV series ever made. It had everything - fascinating characters, interesting stories, very tense moments, lots of tears and even more laughter.

It used to be on at six o'clock in the evening when I was in school and it was a huge treat for the whole family. Who can ever forget Tristan and Siegfried's hilarious escapades, or the ultra spoilt peckingese Tricky Woo? One of my favourite ever scenes was when James had lunch at a farmhouse after attending to one of the their animals. He was revolted at the fattiness of the meat and could barely force it down so he had to eat it with ridiculously huge mounds of homemade piccalilli. His face when the farmer's wife gave him a present of a jar of piccalilli afterwards because she thought he'd loved it so much! I was crying with laughter! I always think of that scene when I see a jar of piccalilli.

I've read the books on which the series was based too, and they're just as entertaining.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 06-08-2015 at 18:15.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

hward (10-08-2015), parkerman (06-08-2015), Perdita (06-08-2015)

Yes, I remember that scene too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (06-08-2015)

I loved this and have watched all the recent re-runs . I could watch them time and again.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LouiseP For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-12-2015), parkerman (15-12-2015)

Me too Louise P I loved this series and have the dvds now. My sister and I have read most of the books.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pyrocanthus For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (07-11-2016)

All Creatures Great and Small returning to our screens :)

http://britishperioddramas.com/news/...fUh4alqxv0AFxo

Another classic TV period drama series is returning to our screens.

A brand new season of All Creatures Great and Small has been commissioned by Masterpiece on PBS and Channel 5.

Based on author James Herriot’s much-loved collection of stories, the BBC’s original TV series aired for 90 episodes between 1978 and 1990.

It’s currently unclear if the revival will be a continuation of the classic show or a brand new interpretation with a different cast.

The six episodes and a Christmas special will be produced by the makers of Wolf Hall and will be filmed on location in Yorkshire, England.

First published in 1970, Herriot’s stories chronicle the heartwarming and humorous adventures of a young country vet in the Yorkshire Dales in the 1930s.

The books have sold 60 million copies around the world.

The revived All Creatures Great and Small will apparently “preserve the rich spirit, tone and values of Herriot’s iconic characters and stories.”

We’re told it will “bring to life his sharply observed, entertaining and incredibly funny tales of country life in the North of England for a modern audience, introducing a new generation to his life-affirming stories.”

The new season will air in 2020 on Channel 5 in the UK and on PBS in the USA, marking the 50th anniversary of the first book’s original publication.

The original All Creatures Great and Small is available on DVD on Amazon.

Last edited by Perdita; 06-07-2019 at 12:29.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (06-07-2019), parkerman (06-07-2019)

I only hope it reaches the same standard as the original series. Judgement reserved at the moment!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Perdita (07-07-2019)

Thread Information