Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jade (Deano and Shabnam's daughter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I've just had a look at the episode where Shirley finds Dean's blood tests and all she says is \"You had a load of tests done after Jimbo died\" (see here at about 7.55). It was probably kept very vague deliberately so the writers didn't paint themselves into a corner.

I don't mind the subtle retconning of Shirley's backstory. It was invented when she was a one-dimensional villain brought in to stir up the Wicks family. There was no way to know what a successful character she'd become, or that a future producer would want to thoroughly delve into her backstory. The changes add to the character and to the story in my opinion.

I'm sure giving Jade CF is being done at least partially to redeem Shirley for abandoning Jimbo when he was dying - which I'm not against at all. I always liked Shirley as a character up until the rape storyline. She was thoroughly nasty at times but Linda Henry's talents as an actress meant there was always more to Shirley than was written in the script.
    apologies as i assumed dean's tests were clear

The CF Trust have tweeted a family tree to explain how the condition is inherited. Someone (be it them or the people they've been working with at EE) are poor when it comes to the details. They claim that Jimbo Wicks died in the 1990's, but he actually died in April 2001. Carly and Dean were in a car crash on the 5th anniversary, as Dean had been behaving erratically and was driving as such.

Doesn't exactly encourage optimism.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-06-2015), maidmarian (18-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    The CF Trust have tweeted a family tree to explain how the condition is inherited. Someone (be it them or the people they've been working with at EE) are poor when it comes to the details. They claim that Jimbo Wicks died in the 1990's, but he actually died in April 2001. Carly and Dean were in a car crash on the 5th anniversary, as Dean had been behaving erratically and was driving as such.

Doesn't exactly encourage optimism.
    No-it doesnt. I suppose this is an occasion
    when Id prefer the soap writers to be
    "inaccurate" rather than a charity that
    is raising awareness of a very serious
    illness.
    Though suppose facts about dates aren't
    as important as correct info about CF!
    Last edited by maidmarian; 19-06-2015 at 00:34.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-06-2015)

Dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 18-06-2015 at 23:09.

how could that shaddy looking dude be allowed to foster a kid with cf, is he single, some many loopholes in the plot

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-06-2015), maidmarian (19-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    how could that shaddy looking dude be allowed to foster a kid with cf, is he single, some many loopholes in the plot
    Well.unless there are some facts we don't
    know yet( possibly havent been concocted
    yet) it does look very "inappropriate".

But is probably just to have someone who
    makes Dean look better-in comparision.
    Last edited by maidmarian; 19-06-2015 at 02:44.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-06-2015)

Dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 19-06-2015 at 00:45.

I believe in giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, but considering Jade's foster dad was willing to take money to let a stranger in and take Jade's hair instead of going through the official channels... it doesn't inspire confidence, does it? Then again, they are only asking for some hair, not blood or anything, and it looks like the guy could use the cash.

CF is genetic, which means anyone in the same family is possible of getting the disease. The percentage rate of catching it gets slimmer with each generation, but even if no one catches it in a few generations there's always still a chance. Genetics are funny that way.

At least because they wanted to introduce the child into the show, they thought to write the story so that she'd only been fostered rather than adopted. The story they concocted to get Rebecca back after her adoption was ridiculous.

Re: Jade's shady and single-looking foster dad, are we supposed to think that because the child is CF, there wasn't a queue of people willing to take her on? Life expectancy is reduced after all so the families may well be setting themselves up for heartbreak. It's always possible I suppose that his partner has either left or died and he hasn't informed the authorities as he fears he would be deemed unsuitable to continue to care for Jade. In this case the household is presumably an income down also.

These things should be spelt out on screen instead of us having to assume them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (19-06-2015), parkerman (19-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by storyseeker1 View Post

CF is genetic, which means anyone in the same family is possible of getting the disease. The percentage rate of catching it gets slimmer with each generation, but even if no one catches it in a few generations there's always still a chance. Genetics are funny that way.
    I am not sure about this....? you dont 'catch' a genetic condition? and the gene is passed from generation to generation so it doesnt get slimmer? unless you vet the gene pool and dont allow two CF carriers to have children with each other??

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarah c For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (19-06-2015), parkerman (19-06-2015)

Thread Information