Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jade (Deano and Shabnam's daughter)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I don't think there has ever been a doubt that Masood is Shabnam's father ...
    I got the impression Zainab had been
    a rather flighty in her younger days.
    Obviously wrongly?!

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    shirley said dean's tests were clear as he was tested when jimbob was sick, she gave mick dean's blood group

also carly had a kid and no mention of cf and denise and shirley are in contact with her
    If Dean is Jade's father he MUST carry the cf defective gene. Carly may well not have it as I explained above but Dean has to have it if he is Jade's father. Either the test results were wrong or he is not Jade's father. All of which means either that Shabnam had sex with someone else or Jade is not Shabnam's daughter either.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (14-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    if shabham is the cf carrier should other massod kids also have it, im confused by how jade has cf if dean isn't a carrier of the gene
    Dean and Shabnam are both carriers, you need two carriers to have any chance of having a CF child and even then the risk is only 25% - James Forde's sister has CF but he doesn't. Obviously the odds would be different where one parent actually has CF and the other is a carrier (50% CF/50% carrier) or where one parent has CF and the other is unaffected (100% carrier,) due to the different number of faulty genes involved and who has them (a parent with CF has two faulty genes but will only pass one to the child.)

Either Masood or Zainab is a carrier, both could be but probably not. As Parkerman has said, if both Masood parents were carriers, by the law of averages, one of their children would have had CF. Dean knows that he's a carrier unless he hasn't read his test results or has been lied to. If he just hasn't read them, he should suspect he might be a carrier as his brother had CF so he knows (if he took time to understand the disease) there's a faulty gene in the family. The Masoods are probably completely unaware. A carrier has no symptoms and it's probably not something they think about unless they have a relative with CF. If we assume as I said above that one (say Zainab) is a carrier but the other isn't, then then their odds were 50% for a carrier or 50% unaffected, since it only depends on whether Zainab passes her faulty gene to the child. They could not have had a CF child.

By Dean being all clear it was probably lazy scripting and they meant he didn't have CF. He has the gene but it may have been completely impossible for him to have CF, since Jimbo was only his half brother. Shirley is a carrier as is Kevin, Buster (and Daniel) may not be. Carly mentioned that her son had been tested and didn't have CF, but we don't know whether that was impossible (Carly not a carrier or she is a carrier and the baby's father isn't) or just luck (the 75% chance two carriers have of having a child that doesn't have CF.)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

lizann (14-06-2015), maidmarian (14-06-2015), parkerman (14-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    If Dean is Jade's father he MUST carry the cf defective gene. Carly may well not have it as I explained above but Dean has to have it if he is Jade's father. Either the test results were wrong or he is not Jade's father. All of which means either that Shabnam had sex with someone else or Jade is not Shabnam's daughter either.
    Exactly this.

Dean is a carrier. If Shabnam wanted to lie about the father of her child, she wouldn't choose a rapist (unless of course she suddenly wanted to tell the family that she had this child and thought they'd assume rape so she'd get less backlash.) In this case Shabnam wanted the child to remain secret, so she wouldn't lie.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (14-06-2015), parkerman (14-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
    Obviously wrongly?!
    Zainab cheated on Yusef (who she was married to first) with Masood. It brought shame on the family and Yusef tried to burn her alive when he found out. She should have some scarring and I'd imagine these factors would make her not want to cheat again (she may feel embarrassed about her body, in addition to the shame in their faith that she has first hand experience of.) There has never been a suggestion that I can recall that she was unfaithful again.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (14-06-2015), parkerman (14-06-2015), tammyy2j (14-06-2015)

dtc should read soapboards to help make his scripts accurate

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (14-06-2015), parkerman (14-06-2015), tammyy2j (14-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
    Obviously wrongly?!
    She had an affair with Masood when married to her abusive first husband Yusef (who she then remarried years later!!!). There's been no suggestion there were any other men though - or that Masood isn't the father of any of her kids.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (14-06-2015), Perdita (14-06-2015), tammyy2j (14-06-2015)

I think Masood is the father of all Zainab's kids and I hope he is, as Kim as said already above I think only Yusef and Masood were the only two men Zainab was ever with

Zainab would want to return to see her grandchild has Masood told her yet?

I didn't know Cystic Fibrosis was hereditary I hope the show don't change past occurrences again for this storyline

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (14-06-2015), maidmarian (14-06-2015)

I've just realised I wrote nearly exactly the same answer to MaidMarian's question as Kim did earlier. I don't know how I missed that...

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I've just had a look at the episode where Shirley finds Dean's blood tests and all she says is \"You had a load of tests done after Jimbo died\" (see here at about 7.55). It was probably kept very vague deliberately so the writers didn't paint themselves into a corner.

I don't mind the subtle retconning of Shirley's backstory. It was invented when she was a one-dimensional villain brought in to stir up the Wicks family. There was no way to know what a successful character she'd become, or that a future producer would want to thoroughly delve into her backstory. The changes add to the character and to the story in my opinion.

I'm sure giving Jade CF is being done at least partially to redeem Shirley for abandoning Jimbo when he was dying - which I'm not against at all. I always liked Shirley as a character up until the rape storyline. She was thoroughly nasty at times but Linda Henry's talents as an actress meant there was always more to Shirley than was written in the script.
    apologies as i assumed dean's tests were clear

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-06-2015)

Thread Information