Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Betty Eagleton

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Oh noooo Why would they want to do that? If she is killed off, then please let it be in her sleep, like Alan Turner ....
    nosy betty could discover one of their secrets does she still live with victoria?

I think so, was it not written into the agreement when Victoria bought the house that Betty was to remain as tenant until her death?

When was she last on screen?

I wish her all the best

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    When was she last on screen?

I wish her all the best
    I think.it was approx July 2014 when she
    went on a cruise.
    One scene before that was when Dom thought
    she had put a large amount of money thru
    his letterbox- after Gemma died.
    He gave her a big kiss in cafe -much to Edna
    Ruby and others shock!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (19-04-2015)

Dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 19-04-2015 at 22:24.

Emmerdale welcomes back Betty Eagleton next week as the show builds up to a fitting exit storyline for the popular character.

Betty has been absent from the village in recent months, but upcoming episodes see her arrive back following some strange activity at her home.

Adam Barton (Adam Thomas) and Victoria Sugden (Isabel Hodgins) are shocked when a clearance van arrives at Keepers Cottage and some men start loading Betty's things inside - a clear hint that she has something big to tell them!

Adam and Victoria see men loading Betty's things into a clearance van
    © ITV
    Adam and Victoria are alarmed by what they see

Adam and Victoria see men loading Betty's things into a clearance van
    © ITV
    Adam and Victoria are confused

Later in the week, Betty arrives back home from her travels but is initially hurt to find that she gets a lacklustre reception from Victoria, who hadn't read her emails and had no idea she was coming back.

Victoria feels guilty when she realises how Betty feels, so she quickly tries to make amends by teaming up with Sandy Thomas to organise a fancy dress party celebrating Betty's return.

The atmosphere is jovial among the villagers as everyone is pleased to have Betty back, but she soon leaves them all stunned with a shocking announcement...

Betty is given a surprise party
    © ITV

Betty makes an announcement
    © ITV
    Betty makes an announcement

Paula Tilbrook, who has played Betty for 21 years, recently announced her retirement and she has already filmed her final scenes as the village's much-loved gossip.

Speaking on her final day last month, Tilbrook commented: "I have been at Emmerdale for 21 years and I've loved every moment. Today is both the saddest and the happiest day of my life. Happy because I've got everyone here with me, but the sad part is I'm leaving. But there is a great atmosphere and it is nice to go out on a high."

Emmerdale airs these scenes on Wednesday, May 20 and Thursday, May 21 at 7pm on ITV.
    Last edited by Perdita; 12-05-2015 at 05:47.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (12-05-2015), tammyy2j (12-05-2015)

Emmerdale airs heartwarming scenes next week as long-standing character Betty Eagleton leaves the village in style.

Upcoming episodes see Betty return home after some time away travelling, but she soon has some big news to share as she announces that she is moving away permanently after finding love with a new man.

In real life, 85-year-old Paula Tilbrook is retiring after playing Betty since 1994. Here, she chats about her exit and her favourite Emmerdale memories.

Are you pleased with Betty's on-screen farewell?
    "I'm absolutely overawed by it. I'm over the moon and I fill up every time I think about it! I don't think we do this very often.

"I did ask our producer, bless her, not to have me murdered because I was fed up of murders! It's a very, very dangerous place to be - you're better in the Bronx than in Emmerdale village! (Laughs.) She said, 'Oh no, of course I won't' - and she hasn't. It's a proper ending and it's a happy one. Who doesn't like a happy ending?"

What have you liked about the character of Betty over the years?
    "She tries her best, but as most older people do - myself included - she thinks she knows better than anyone else! She's had a lot of experience in life and she's not shy about giving people advice on how to run theirs! I think that's how you get when you get older.

"Betty was also a strong woman when she was younger, when I first arrived in the show. When I say 'younger', I was of pensionable age then! But when I see some of the pictures I think, 'Gosh, don't you look young?'

"I think Betty is likeable. She's a big softy with a hard crust. She lives on gossip and I think most women do. She gets me frustrated, she makes me laugh, and there are odd times that she makes me cry as well. How she put up with Seth for all those years I will never know. I think she was very patient!"

© ITV
    Paula as Betty

Betty's friends give her a fond send-off
    © ITV
    Betty's friends give her a fond send-off

Do you remember your first day on set?
    "I remember it like it was last week! I strode into The Woolpack, ordered a sweet sherry and asked if Seth Armstrong was about. I think she went outside and found Seth with a horse. He hit the horse and it went down the street, but then we had to do another take. He didn't have to hit the horse second time round, because the horse was a very good actor and he started to walk away immediately!

"At one time there was even a storyline where Betty was saying to Seth, 'It's either the horse or me', which I understand was a very difficult decision because it was a good-looking horse! (Laughs.)"

Who will you miss most from the current cast?
    "Oh, that's almost impossible to answer - they're all so individual. I think the people you share a dressing room with are the people you get closest to. The people I speak to by phone when I'm not working are Shirley Stelfox (Edna), Meg Johnson (Pearl) and Chris Chittell (Pollard).

"Chris was there when I first joined the show. He's the one, I think, that is responsible for the kind of cast it is at Emmerdale. I've been in Coronation Street and I've been in Brookside, but no soap I've been in has got the atmosphere that Emmerdale has.

"Chris is the one that makes you feel absolutely at home and like you're going to enjoy it. He's such a kind man and I think a lot of the atmosphere of Emmerdale is due to him, right back from when he was working on the show more than 20 years ago.

"I always say to newcomers: 'Just relax and enjoy it. If you've been in a series before where you had to watch your own back because there were a lot of jealousies, you don't have to do that here'. It's a team and that's a very nice atmosphere to work in."

Betty and Seth in Emmerdale in 1995
    © ITV
    Betty and Seth in Emmerdale in 1995

What have been your highs and lows in the show?
    "Well, it's all highs really because there's some wonderful people who have been in Emmerdale. I think the lows have been the deaths of colleagues like Stan Richards who played Seth and Richard Thorp who played Alan Turner. Richards's death was so sudden because although we're all creaking gates when we get to our 80s, it just wasn't expected."

Has the show changed since you first joined?
    "It's unrecognisable from what it was. When I first joined, Sheila Mercier was the grand dame of Emmerdale as Annie Sugden. You'd see her stood at the top of the table when a scene came on and she'd be going on and on about something. I think altogether there were probably six scenes in an episode back then. Now I think we play six scenes in about five minutes. It's become so quick!

"You'd flick away because she'd be going on about something and you'd flick back later and she'd still be doing the same thing! She must have had an enormous amount of script to learn. But we had a very small cast then - I doubt there was 20. Now it's around 60."

Has Betty changed over the years?
    "I don't think her character has, but of course she's 20 years older and we all change. She tries to keep up with the times and she's a positive person. If only people would do as they were told - she just wants people to do things her way!"

Emmerdale's Edna, Pearl and Betty
    © ITV
    Edna, Pearl and Betty

What do you think Betty will miss the most about Emmerdale village?
    "The people. Every one of them. It's the same for me - I will miss the people desperately."

What were your favourite moments?
    "There are tons of them - happy ones. I always remember when I dressed up for Seth and got all my black things on - black tights, high heels, a bra and a bodice. Betty wanted to get him going because he said it would be wonderful if she dressed up as a windmill girl, which Betty used to be! Betty came into the room and just put one black fishnet leg through the door and there was no reaction, because he was fast asleep on the sofa and she'd wasted her time!

"I also loved the everyday scenes with Seth where we'd be talking about getting the room decorated. We'd get it down to two different options and I'd ask him which he liked best. You could tell he was in a no-win situation and he used to try and get out of it. In the end, he'd gingerly point at one of the patterns and then she'd say, 'Well what's wrong with the other one?!' It's those everyday scenes that I loved. Older people who'd been married a few years loved to see that too, because that's married life.

"I also remember when we were living in a caravan. The Dingles pinched it but then they were stopped by the police, who didn't know that we were inside. The police knocked on the caravan door, but Betty thought it was the people who'd stolen it, so she opened the door and hit this policeman on the head with a cast-iron pan! She was arrested and taken to the police station. Things like that were fun!

"I liked it when the Dingles first came in. I loved the character of Butch. I loved Billy Hartman's character as well. When you're in the show, it's always very sad to see favourite characters go. But it's like life, isn't it?"

Will you keep watching Emmerdale now that you've retired?
    "I'll have to! I'll need to keep my eye on them and to make sure they're doing things right!"

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

KiwiElle (23-05-2015), lizann (20-05-2015), maidmarian (19-05-2015), Tuareet (20-05-2015)

Very Best Wishes to Paula!!
    Hope she enjoys her retirement!!

Will miss Betty - a great character!!
    Reminds me of some of my great-aunts!
    I think the word is indomitable!
    Last edited by maidmarian; 19-05-2015 at 22:07.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Perdita (23-05-2015)

Dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 19-05-2015 at 21:56.

Emmerdale bids a fond farewell to one of its longest-running characters in tonight's episode (May 25) as Betty Eagleton says her goodbyes to the village.

Betty (Paula Tilbrook) has decided to move to Australia to live with her new boyfriend, despite fears from some of her loved ones that she could be falling victim to a conman.

The popular resident's final hours in the village see her pay a visit to Seth's resting place before sharing some heartfelt words with troubled Laurel Dingle, who needs all the advice she can get at the moment.

Once Betty returns to The Woolpack, Diane shares her concerns that she could be making a terrible mistake - but Betty soon silences everyone with an extravagant exit that the locals won't forget in a hurry!

The villagers gather to say goodbye to Betty
    © ITV
    The villagers gather to say goodbye to Betty

Emmerdale airs tonight at 7pm on ITV.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (25-05-2015)

Thread Information