Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Mayhew (Daniel Brocklebank)

Exclamation Billy Mayhew (Daniel Brocklebank)

Coronation Street star Daniel Brocklebank has admitted that he can relate to his character's upcoming homophobia storyline.

Scenes airing in tomorrow night's episode (April 17) will see Billy Mayhew and his partner Sean Tully unable to book a room in a country pub due to the disapproving landlord.

Sean and Billy are met with disapproval
    © ITV
    Sean and Billy are met with disapproval

Brocklebank has admitted that he faced similar prejudice when attempting to rent a room in a shared house with a former boyfriend.

The day after agreeing to move in, the pair received a text saying the room was unavailable now as two of the people in the property didn't want to live with a gay couple.

Brocklebank told The Sun: "We felt pretty s**t to be honest. It was a shock. It really brought it home that these sorts of things do still go on."

The actor, who also played Emmerdale's first bisexual character years ago, added that he still received negativity when joining the Coronation Street cast last year.

As Sean comforts Billy, he confesses to Sean that he's falling in love with him.
    © ITV
    Billy confesses he's in love with Sean

He said: "One religious group complained that they were upset Corrie wasn't showing a vicar who was trying to steer people away from sin - because in their view there were no gay vicars. How short-sighted.

"But listen, I have been doing this job for 21 years and it's not the first time I have received a backlash. I did the first man-on-man kiss in Emmerdale history. It got more complaints than I think the show ever had, which I was thrilled with!

"I have spoken to a couple of openly gay clergy. They were pleased when they learned Corrie was introducing a gay vicar because it's great to have the issue highlighted."

Daniel Brocklebank has been subject to some cruel death threats.

The comments came after his performance amid Deirdre’s funeral scenes on the ITV soap.

“Somebody tweeted me the other day and said they wanted to kick ‘that *******y Sean’s head in and crucify the shirt-lifting vicar,'” he told the Daily Star.

Daniel plays newby Vicar, Billy who is in a relationship with Sean Tully. “I thought: ‘Crucify?’ God, we can have a coffee first?” “You learn to try and deflect things with humour,” said Daniel.
    - See more at: http://rsvpmagazine.ie/daniel-brockl....lWyd9aeL.dpuf

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (14-07-2015)

The comments came after his performance amid Deirdre’s funeral scenes on the ITV soap.

“Somebody tweeted me the other day and said they wanted to kick ‘that *******y Sean’s head in and crucify the shirt-lifting vicar,'” he told the Daily Star.

Daniel plays newby Vicar, Billy who is in a relationship with Sean Tully. “I thought: ‘Crucify?’ God, we can have a coffee first?” “You learn to try and deflect things with humour,” said Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    That's terrible!

Awful to hear about his previous homophobic abuse, but I can't see anything in that article to suggest death threats toward the actor. It reads as if they were toward the character, which although not normal behaviour, isn't as bad.

I personally didn't like Billy taking Deirdre's funeral (he had never met her and I thought they could have got back one of the vicars who has known Deirdre over the years) but I don't know what possesses people to write comments like these, never mind send them to the actor (who is doing his job even though we may or may not like the character and their actions.)

They will be tweeting the actors twitter account. So its directed at the actor as far as i am concerned. Must be horrible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (14-07-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Awful to hear about his previous homophobic abuse, but I can't see anything in that article to suggest death threats toward the actor. It reads as if they were toward the character, which although not normal behaviour, isn't as bad.
    The trouble is those kinds of idiots often can't tell the difference between the character and the actor. I'd feel threatened if I was an actor in that situation.

I think he expected some backlash when he took on the role but death threats ...crazy people out there.

Coronation Street's vicar Billy Mayhew is left with a split lip after defending Eva Price from violent Richie O'Driscoll
    In shocking new Coronation Street scenes, Vicar Billy Mayhew (Daniel Brocklebank) will be forced to defend himself after being set upon in a brutal attack.
    Punched in the face by Richie O'Driscoll (James Midgley) Billy is left cowering until Aidan Connor (Shayne Ward) comes to the rescue and fights off the new businessman on the cobbles.
    The explosive new scenes come after Richie discovers that Billy and Eva Price (Catherine Tyldesley) broke into his mansion to see if he and his wife Julia were hiding illegal immigrants in their basement.
    Joking around on set, Daniel and Catherine seemed to be in good spirits between filming, with Daniel, 36, sporting a split lip for the scenes.
    Clad in his costume and clerical collar, the star appeared to be sharing a joke with his co-star whilst enjoying a warming beverage.
    Meanwhile, Catherine, 32, also seemed to have enjoyed the explosive day of work, wrapping up against the chill in a long red padded jacket.
    Taking to Twitter after filming she teased: 'Great day with @Dan_Brocklebank and @shayneTward! More tomorrow! Can't wait for you lot to see these scenes! Pretty awesome!'
    Daniel echoed her sentiments, posting: 'What a brilliant day! Massive amounts of fabulous with @Cath_Tyldesley & @shayneTward. So excited for u to see what we've been up to!'
    James was also in good spirits on set, sporting a realistic looking bloody nose from the violent scenes, but keeping the smile on his face.
    The explosive scenes come to head as part of the disturbing ongoing storyline that sees Richie and Julie O'Driscoll exploiting immigrant children and keeping them as slaves.
    In a previous episode, Eva found Polish teenager Marta hiding out in Underworld after escaping the O'Driscoll's home.
    And whilst she has no proof that the new couple are to blame, she sets out with Billy to prove that the O'Driscolls are behind the crime.
    Speaking to the Manchester Evening News a Coronation Street insider said: 'This is going to be a very difficult subject to tackle, but it has been in the news recently and sadly is not as uncommon as people might think.'

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (12-02-2016), tammyy2j (14-02-2016)

He makes me laugh as the priests i know do not go looking and finding problems to deal with.....the problems come to them anyway. He is always being nosey

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (16-02-2016), tammyy2j (14-02-2016)

Thread Information