Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carmel Kazemi (Bonnie Langford)

Exclamation Carmel Kazemi (Bonnie Langford)

Bonnie Langford has been cast for a guest role in EastEnders.

The singer and stage actress will play Kush's loud and embarrassing mother Carmel Kazemi. Filming will begin this month for scenes airing in June.

© BBC

Executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins described Bonnie Langford as a "British institution", and a gifted actress.

"Bonnie brings wit, pathos and a touch of class to Carmel Kazemi," he continued.

"A thoroughly modern Essex divorcée who isn't quite ready to cut the apron strings firmly attached to her son Kush. Even if it means clashing spectacularly with an already prickly Shabnam."

Langford has performed a number of iconic roles in the past, including Doctor Who assistant Mel Bush.

She has also appeared in musicals such as Cats, Chicago and Spamalot, and took part in three series of Dancing on Ice.

The 50-year-old said: "I'm so thrilled and delighted to be part of EastEnders. I'm a great fan of the show and think the recent 30th Anniversary was sensational and shows just how good British television can be.

"To be part of this family is an absolute privilege," she added.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post

Executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins described Bonnie Langford as a "British institution".
    How dare he! There is only one British actress who is a British institution. If I were you, I'd watch out for my blue balls, Dominic!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

alan45 (05-04-2015)

Bonnie Langford will be making her debut in EastEnders later this year, and fellow former Doctor Who actress Louise Jameson has some advice for her.

It was previously announced that the singer and stage actress will play Kush's loud and embarrassing mother Carmel Kazemi.

Louise Jameson rehearsing Noises Off
    Louise Jameson on Noises Off and how Doctor Who made geekdom fashionable

As well as starring in Doctor Who, Jameson has also featured in EastEnders as Rosa di Marco.

Speaking to Digital Spy about Langford's upcoming Walford stint, Jameson said: "It's one of those - put your head down and do it, get on with it. It's fallen in her life at the same time it fell into mine.

"The kids are just about to do GCSEs and A-Levels so it's a fantastic piece of security for her at this moment in time. And Bonnie is the most professional person I've ever worked with.

Bonnie Langford in EastEnders
    © BBC
    Bonnie Langford in EastEnders

"We were at Big Finish [which records Doctor Who audio dramas] the other day and were on our lunch hour and we were going to go back and start work but nobody could find Bonnie.

"We looked outside and round the block and in the lift and of course she was sitting in her booth ready and waiting. She'd already run into the studio and was there five minutes early!"

Langford has already started filming at EastEnders, with her first scenes due to air in June.

Louise Jameson stars in Noises Off at The Mercury Theatre Colchester from May 1 to 16 - box office 01206 573948 http://www.mercurytheatre.co.uk.

EastEnders will air Carmel Kazemi's first scenes next week as she arrives in Walford following the news that her son Kush is engaged.

Loud, overbearing and full of energy, Carmel immediately sets about making arrangements for Kush's wedding, but will soon find herself struggling to connect with his fiancée Shabnam (Rakhee Thakrar).

Here, Bonnie Langford - who plays Carmel - shares all the gossip on what to expect from her character.

What intrigued you the most about Carmel?
    "That the breakdown was nothing like me. I thought, 'How am I going to fit in with this?' She is a very attentive mother. I think she is there for all the women of a certain age - mothers who never stop being mothers, no matter how old they or their kids are. I was intrigued by that prospect. I read a couple of scenes that were just glorious and that is when I went, 'I can see how I could do this'. The thing about her is that there is, like all of us, a little bit of everything in her.

"The one thing she does have is this love for her kids and the desire to do the best she can for them. She doesn't always get it right but has a great sense of humour. Kindness and humour are important in any character and that is what she has."

Did you need much persuading to take on the role?
    "Not at all. I had watched some of the live episodes and I have watched it over the years. I was at the same school as Letitia Dean, I did panto with Adam Woodyatt 23 years ago that he keeps reminding me of. He even tweeted a picture of the poster as he remembers it very fondly because that is where he met his wife. Like everyone, I have watched it intermittently. I watched the live episode and I thought it was so impressive and so good that then when they said to me, 'Come in and meet us', I went, 'Wow, why?' It has such a nice atmosphere here. I said to my agent that if nothing comes of it then I had such a lovely time and that will be in itself joyous because sometimes you don't."

Had it ever crossed your mind to do EastEnders before?
    "In this business you never cross anything out. It has never been something I thought I would be included in. A lot of the time you get interviewed and people say, 'What would you like to do?' and yes, you hope you always get good work and do something that is nice to be in, that is valuable and authentic, but ultimately you need to work. You never know what is round the corner and that is what I like about the business. Usually it is the things that you weren't expecting that bring out the best in you."

What does Carmel think of Shabnam?
    "Kush was married and his wife died of a brain haemorrhage. Even in the first week, Carmel reveals to Masood how difficult that was for her as a mother, because she couldn't connect with Kush and he didn't go to her. He buried all that feeling and she now has this tremendous desire to see her son happy again. If he has chosen this girl, then she is really grateful to her as this boy has been through so much. She is delighted to see how happy he is and will do everything she can to make sure it all goes ahead with a bang and works out better this time.

"But she does find that Shabnam is not necessarily a person she would naturally gravitate towards and feels that she doesn't quite approve of her. So, there is a bit of a difficult scenario there. Camel likes to be liked and she likes to be in charge and organising. That is her 'thing' - that she is out there doing, rather than being."

Does Carmel think it is too soon for Kush to marry Shabnam?
    "I don't think so. If she sees that he is happy, then she is happy with that. She does know him very, very well and is keen for him to be happy, but doesn't want it to be a rebound. She makes out she is this doting mum, but she is quite tough on him too and is the only one who will insist that he is truthful to himself as well as everyone else."

Can you talk us through Carmel's first scenes where she attends a dinner party at the Masoods'?
    "There is tension in the air. It starts off because not all the parties are there and they are up to something, I seem to be arriving and there is a tension. She is one of these people that likes it all to be jolly and lovely and nice, certainly at first and feels that there is something going on that she is not party to and can't quite read the room yet.

"And I think she is very keen to make a good impression for her son, but at the same time puts her foot in it and then makes out she is having a laugh and he is kind of kicking her under the table - even down to the not-taking-your-shoes-off to start with and then having to. It's all those sorts of things and then she moves in very quickly - as in makes herself comfortable very quickly!"

Would you say Carmel is a bit of a nightmare?
    "To Shabnam she is a bit, yeah. She doesn't intend to be a nightmare, but she is challenging to Shabnam. As far as Kush is concerned, he has always let his mum organise everything, she has been a very strong force in his life. Davood was saying that it makes some of his previous scenes make sense now, as he is a bit of a pushover and terribly gentle when it comes to women. He has had a mum that has always done those things for him."

We know that Shabnam has a secret daughter as a result of having a one-night stand with Dean. How will Carmel react to that?
    "It depends how she is getting on with Shabnam. She would be glad that all the cards are on the table before any commitments are made."

Could Carmel get a love interest?
    "She does bond with Masood, but I don't think she is looking at the moment. She is a divorcee as her husband left her. She sees that there is this familiarity with Masood, but they come from very different areas with their upbringing and past history. They have their common bond in that sometimes neither of their kids listen to them. She opens up to him and finds a connection."

Does Carmel have a job?
    "Really her job is looking after her sons. What I am interested in is - like many women - now their kids no longer need them, what do they do? With Kush getting married, she is suddenly needed again. There is a sadness underneath because her husband has left her and she is suddenly unsure over what she is doing with her life. She does a lot of courses. She has got money. She also likes to read people's auras - she is one of those people. She's a bit of a fixer, match maker, sort of nosey parker, but tries to back it up with a small amount of information about each and every subject. She is the kind of person if you said you were moving, she would probably find you a house - a real go-to person."

You signed up to EastEnders for a guest stint, but will Carmel be coming back? And would you consider a permanent stay?
    "I don't know. I am really enjoying being here and I love the fact that the character appears to have many different levels. I would like to discover those levels a bit more. She has had some great fun stuff to do. I could have come into the show as this dragon, or bouncy miserable old cow, but the fact is there's all those things in her and that is what is interesting."

Do you still get nervous despite your background?
    "Yes. You can be the best driver in the world, but if you don't know the route you are lost. The very first scene I did I had to walk out of a doorway. That was okay but then I had to do a little scene and went up to the director and said, 'Was that alright?' He looked as if to say, 'Why are you asking me?'"

You have had a really long career but has EastEnders been a highlight?
    "I hope this is a high point! It is really nice to have a patchwork quilt with lots of things going on. I am lucky to have had a variety of stuff. It is frightening to think that 34 years ago Cats opened and I was in it. I remember it vividly. I started my career when I was 6 and liked it and felt comfortable. There were colour TVs then, there were only three channels and I was at the opening of Channel 4. I have some brilliant memories - I never wanted to be a tired old turn looking at my scrapbooks. I always want to look forward."

EastEnders airs Carmel's first scenes on Tuesday, May 26 at 7.30pm on BBC One.

I am liking Carmel so far

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (17-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I must admit I do too and did not expect when I first learned about her joining

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (17-06-2015)

Me too! she is "real" good points and probabaly bad ones, but least she's doing ok

Me too! she is "real" good points and probabaly bad ones, but least she's doing ok

It looks like Bonnie Langford has been promoted to series regular:

https://twitter.com/bonnie_langford/...18387629862912

I like Carmel so will be happy to see more of her. I wonder if her dalliance with Masood will become a serious relationship?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (26-08-2015)

Get ready for lots more from Carmel Kazemi in EastEnders, as Bonnie Langford has signed a new one-year deal to continue in the role.

The popular actress and entertainer announced the news on ITV's Lorraine today (August 28), expressing her delight at becoming a regular cast member on the Walford soap.

Langford was cast as Carmel in early April, but was initially only on a short guest contract.

Speaking today, she revealed: "I've got a plaque on the door now! I've got my own dressing room and I'm there for a while. At the moment I'm there for about a year, which is just wonderful."

Viewers can expect to see another side to Carmel next week as she struggles to cope with the devastating news that her son Kush and his fiancée Shabnam Masood have lost their baby.

Heartbreaking scenes airing tonight (August 28) will see Shabnam seek help at the hospital after revealing that her unborn child has stopped moving. Although Shabnam tries her best to stay positive, a doctor confirms that the baby has tragically died.

Langford added: "Normally you go into a show and you know what your character is - you sort of know the path. With this one, I get the scripts and I'm thinking 'What's going to happen?'

"What's wonderful for Carmel is that she's gone in as this mother who just loves her boy, but there's some lovely stuff because I get to break down completely.

"There's this very, very big story coming up next week that is just heartbreaking. I first looked at the scripts on the Tube and I was crying. Everyone looked at me as if I was completely mad. It's a really brilliantly, beautifully-crafted storyline that I just hope does the subject matter justice."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2...#ixzz3k7uPgJjr

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (28-08-2015), lizann (28-08-2015), maidmarian (28-08-2015)

Thread Information