Thread: Louis Loveday

Exclamation Louis Loveday

Hollyoaks introduced the final member of the Loveday family this week as Karl Collins made his first appearance as Hollyoaks High's new deputy head Louis.

Louis looks set to be a popular new addition to the local school, but life there is bound to have its challenges with ruthless Patrick Blake as his boss.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Karl to hear about his first few weeks at Hollyoaks and what's to come.

Karl Collins as Louis Loveday in Hollyoaks
    © Lime Pictures
    Karl Collins as Louis Loveday

Has it been easy to settle into life at Hollyoaks?
    "It's been great because we've arrived into the show as a little family. Coming in as a threesome has meant that we can look out for each other and discover the good, the bad and the ugly all together, which has been really great!

"I worked with Jacqui [Boatswain, who plays Simone] a couple of years ago and we've been good friends since then, so it was really nice finding out that we were going to be playing husband and wife in Hollyoaks. It's made life easier, because there's a short-hand there. The whole cast are really lovely up here and everyone has been welcoming."

Was it important for the producers to get the chemistry right with this new family?
    "Absolutely. With a show like Hollyoaks which has been running for a long time and has so many fantastic characters already established, you need to really take the time to get it right when you're bringing in a new family. You need to make sure that the chemistry works really well and the new arrivals can just slide into that arena without too many hiccups.

"Jacqui auditioned first and got the part of Simone and then I was auditioning afterwards. I did a screen test and then a recall. Then once I got the job, Jacqui and I were both screen testing with boys to play our son. They recalled two of the boys and one of them was Duayne [Boachie, who plays Zack].

"It was interesting, because as an actor you usually only audition with the producer, the director or the casting director. Here it was a privilege and a little insight to audition various other actors. I felt for them, because you know what that process is like yourself and how scary and taxing it can be. But Duayne is fantastic and he's going to be a big hit - he's going to be fighting them off!"

Obviously you never know what's around the corner in the acting world, but was it always the plan to do another long-running role?
    "I suppose no it wasn't really, but that's not to say that I'd ruled it out. The most important things in this industry are longevity and having different experiences. Obviously I did The Bill for four and a half years, then afterwards I did lots of theatre and one-off dramas. I was doing all sorts of things and that's what keeps you excited as an actor - taking on different roles and having different experiences.

"Having said that, there are always opportunities for things that are going to change and test you. I was over the moon when this opportunity came along to do Hollyoaks. It's not necessarily a secure job because I'm sure Hollyoaks will keep us on our toes, but we'll wait and see!"

What can we expect from Louis?
    "Louis is the new deputy head of Hollyoaks High. I think he's the complete antithesis to Patrick. He's a committed, life-long vocational teacher. He loves the school, he loves the kids and he loves educating. There's no way that he'd want to do anything else.

"Louis is not a pushover but I would say he's very fair. You know when you were at school and there was a teacher who everyone liked but you knew you couldn't mess about too much in their class? I'm hoping he's one of those! As well as being the deputy, Louis is involved in PE and he's a history teacher as well."

Are Louis and Patrick going to clash?
    "I don't know yet, but it would make sense I suppose! I have an inkling of what's down the road for Patrick and Louis, but clashes between them would certainly add to the drama. I could imagine that Louis would think Patrick's style is very alien to him!"

What else can you tell us about Louis?
    "Well, the great thing about Louis and his set-up is that him and Simone are very much in love. People may ask, 'Really? After all this time?', but they still can't keep their hands off each other, which is going to be a big embarrassment to their son!

"I'm not talking about us walking around in our underwear or anything like that, but they're a loved-up couple and they show Zack a very healthy, loving family. It's the sort of family that you'd want to be part of, but at the same time, I don't think it's going to be a boring triumvirate by any means..."

Does Simone wear the trousers in the relationship?
    "Well this is the whole point - Louis is so generous that he lets her believe she wears the trousers! It's a funny one and something that Jacqui and I have talked about a lot. Simone can be tetchy and a bit snobby, but if the audience are going to enjoy her and like her as well, they have to see the other side of her.

"I think what Louis brings out of Simone is that human, loving, gentle side of her. She'll be a bit rude and snobby and he'll give her a look and say, 'Okay babes, calm down' and she'll say, 'Okay you're right'.

"On the surface everyone thinks Simone wears the trousers - even Jacqui thinks that! But between us, she doesn't! (Laughs.) It's definitely a relationship of equals but he gives her the power!"

Simone isn't pleased to see Ste
    © Lime Pictures
    Louis and Simone

Is this the first time that Louis and Zack have been at the same school?
    "I don't think it is the first time, actually. I think they've been at the same school before, because their relationship there seems very easy and very genuine, so they seem to be used to it. It's not an alien concept to them and I don't think Zack is embarrassed about his dad being the deputy head, I think he's quite proud of it actually.

"Zack looks up to his dad and they have a very open and easy relationship. He might be embarrassed about his dad being an embarrassing dad, but not about him being in the same school!"

Is there anyone in the village you can see Louis becoming friends with?
    "Outside of the family, at the moment it's been James Sutton that I've spent most of my time with. That seems like an easy relationship, as Louis and John Paul get on well. They seem to be nice allies at the moment."

We know that the Lovedays have a past that will unravel... Are you excited about the future storylines?
    "I am excited about that, because everyone has some history. It'll be interesting to see how theirs plays out. Because the Lovedays are a very 'together' and secure family, dramatically it'll be nice to see what happens when that is put to the test and certain things come back to the surface. This is Hollyoaks so there's always got to be drama there somewhere. I'm looking forward to when those things start to unravel..."

Who have you made friends with?
    "Because I've known Jacqui before, we tend to go around watching each other's backs and taking care of each other. Because of the nature of how the Lovedays come in, it's not been completely full-on so far. Generally I've been up here for two or three days a week and then I've been back up to London. Duayne has a bit more of a life in the show because he's around the kids, whereas we're quite contained.

"Once I eventually make the move, I think I'll find more of a social world within the Hollyoaks cast - but at the moment Jacqui and I have been thick as thieves!"

Do you get nervous when you start a new job?
    "You always get nervous when you start a new job, definitely, but you just have to remember that you're there because they think you're good enough to be there. You're always nervous as an actor because your position is so precarious in this business, but if you get a job, they have trusted you because they know that you can do it.

"You always get those first-day nerves of finding your feet and wondering who will be your mate! But I've been doing it for a while now so I don't get daunted, and everyone at Hollyoaks has been very genuinely supportive and inclusive."

naughty naughty louis, leela baby daddy

Chatting to Whats On TV, Karl was asked about what kind of violence fans can expect from the forthcoming wedding.

"Well, in true Hollyoaks fashion, there's a few punches thrown – not mine," he teased. "Let's just say that Louis won't look good in the wedding photos! And he's definitely going to be doing some grovelling.

"There's going to be a lot of snot and tears – and blood and guts. And he might need his passport at some point…"

Thread Information