Thread: EastEnders to have transgender storyline

EastEnders to have transgender storyline

Dominic Treadwell-Collins has revealed he is set to create a transgender storyline for EastEnders.

The executive producer shared the news earlier today (February 28) at National Student Pride, where he said he wants to the tell the story "properly".

"We are looking at a trans storyline," Treadwell-Collins said. "What I like to do on EastEnders... what we always do is do all our research first.

"We try and do our research and get it all in our heads - the way we want to go because we want to tell it properly."

Treadwell-Collins also said that he would be looking to cast a transgender actor to play a part in the storyline as well.

EastEnders' executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins
    © BBC / Kieron McCarron
    Dominic Treadwell-Collins

He said: "Also I would want to cast a trans actor as well. You have to - you have to cast a trans actor, but you also don't want to mess up the story because EastEnders reaches so many people and a lot of our audience are quite traditional.

"The power of EastEnders is we can change the world a little. You can change it gently and influence people who would be maybe quite bigoted."

Both Coronation Street and Hollyoaks have had transgender characters before, in the form of Haley Cropper and Blessing Chambers, but neither have been played by a transgender actor.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (01-03-2015), lizann (01-03-2015), tammyy2j (02-03-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Treadwell-Collins also said that he would be looking to cast a transgender actor to play a part in the storyline as well.
    That's excellent news.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 01-03-2015 at 11:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    That's excellent news.
    This is refreshing, but I would like to see a Transgender story of a Female trapped and wanting to be a Male, seems as if any news etc is always about Males wanting to be female, and that includes TV too!
    There is Female Transgender working close to me, and at first it was a bit of an spectacle to gawp, but not "She" is very much accepted by regulars, some of course drop clangers and refer to her as "him" but it is nice to see that it is only strangers now that stare!
    Last edited by owenlee4me; 02-03-2015 at 17:26. Reason: Punctuation
    We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged
    Heinrich Heine

5. The Following User Says Thank You to owenlee4me For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (02-03-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    That's excellent news.
    This is refreshing, but I would like to see a Transgender story of a Female trapped and wanting to be a Male, seems as if news etc is always Males wanting to be female.
    There is Female Transgender working close to me, and at first it was a bit of an spectacle to gawp, but not "She" is very much accepted by regulars, some of course drop clangers and refer to her as "him" but it is nice to see that it is only strangers now that stare!
    Last edited by owenlee4me; 02-03-2015 at 17:27. Reason: punctuation
    We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged
    Heinrich Heine

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owenlee4me For This Useful Post:

lizann (02-03-2015), tammyy2j (02-03-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by owenlee4me View Post
    This is refreshing, but I would like to see a Transgender story of a Female trapped and wanting to be a Male, seems as if news etc is always Males wanting to be female.
    i thought this for nancy given her boy style at first maybe but yes a female wanting to be male would be good

Quote Originally Posted by owenlee4me View Post
    i thought this for nancy given her boy style at first maybe but yes a female wanting to be male would be good

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    It would be interesting to have a female to
    male transgender. I know three transgender
    people and they are all male to female.

Also I wondered if the transgender person
    would have no connection to Walford or
    would be related/connected to a family/
    individual already in the area.
    And if they would have fully completed the
    transition or still in the process of doing so.

See how story develops
    Last edited by maidmarian; 02-03-2015 at 18:54.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (02-03-2015), tammyy2j (02-03-2015)

Dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 02-03-2015 at 18:55.

Thread Information