Thread: Zac Loveday

Exclamation Zac Loveday

Hollyoaks fans were introduced to newcomer Zack Loveday this week as the show's latest family started to take shape.

Hot on the heels of his strict mum Simone, teenager Zack was the second of the Lovedays to appear on screen - taking an instant shine to Theresa McQueen during her short-lived stint working at Price Slice!

Duayne Boachie as Zack Loveday in Hollyoaks
    © Lime Pictures
    Duayne Boachie as Zack Loveday in Hollyoaks

Zack's father Louis will arrive next week, completing the close-knit Loveday clan who have been tipped to bring some domestic family warmth to the village over the coming weeks and months.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Duayne Boachie, who plays Zack, to hear more about his character and the new family.

How are you finding your time on Hollyoaks so far?
    "I'm literally loving it! Everyone is nice, polite, warm and welcoming. It's one of those times where you walk into a place and you just know the energy is good and positive. That helps me to feel on board and ready to give the best that I can give."

How did the role come about?
    "My agent called me about a casting for Hollyoaks and when I read the character description, I felt like it was something that I really needed to go for. When you go for castings, there's always a chance you'll get it and a chance you might not get it, so you just go for it and hope for the best.

"But once I saw the character description for Zack, I felt that this was something I had a good chance of getting if I brought my A-game to the auditions. So I really focused, went hard for it and tried to commit to it.

"The audition process was really long, actually - we got a lot of call-backs because I think it was quite difficult picking who should play the role. There were a lot of brilliant actors that I was going up against, so it was really quite tough. I really built up a relationship with the other actors as well - we were seeing each other quite often, as that's how long it was! It was such a relief when I found out I'd got the part."

Did they test you out with your on-screen family to make sure the chemistry was right?
    "Yes, in the second-to-last audition, they put us with our potential on-screen parents. It was difficult for them to choose the actors, because they had to make sure that everyone fitted in well together. It was a situation where they were mixing us with the different actors, but I could feel a connection straight away when I was acting with Karl [Collins, who plays Louis] and Jackie [Boatswain, who plays Simone]. For me it clicked and it felt right."

Zack, Simone and Louis Loveday in Hollyoaks
    © Lime Pictures
    The Loveday family

What can the viewers expect from Zack now that he's joined the village?
    "Zack is full of energy and love, but there's a lot of banter from him as well! He doesn't mean anything bad by what he's saying, but he just loves to joke around, take the mickey and have a laugh.

"It's not in a negative or bullying-type way, though, as that's so far from what Zack is. If anything, he despises bullies and will stand up against people who are bullies. But Zack is out to have fun and enjoy himself."

How much do you know about the Loveday family backstory?
    "There are things to be discovered further on down the line. We do know potentially where our stories are going, but it's all to be revealed!"

Is Simone as strict with Zack as she is with everyone else?
    "The thing with Zack is that he's got a way with words. Although Simone tries to be strict with him, Zack knows how to bring out her softer side. Even though she is firm - her 'yes' means 'yes' and her 'no' means 'no' - Zack is very good at deflecting situations away from him. He mainly tries to pin things on his dad or anyone else that he can!"

Does he have a good relationship with Louis too?
    "Yes, it's a very good relationship. Zack has a good relationship with his mum and his dad. They all get on really, really, really well. They've been through a lot in the past and that's what helps their relationship. It's because they've had to tackle certain things as a family."

Zack is impressed by Theresa
    © Lime Pictures
    Zack's first scenes aired this week

Will Zack find it difficult to have Louis as the school deputy head?
    "Zack doesn't really let things like that affect him too much! He's just up for whatever - he tries to take the best from any situation that he's in. It could have been tricky to have his dad as the deputy head, but because Zack is such a cool guy, nobody can pick on him too much about it. It wouldn't really affect him too much - he's hard to bully or pick on."

Zack is being billed as a ladies' man, so does he have his eye on anyone in particular?
    "Zack loves the ladies, so anyone who looks good catches his eye! Further on down the line as he gets to know people, we'll see if he does pick up a particular interest in someone through personality rather than just looks!"

Will Zack and Harry be good friends?
    "When they first meet, they both have a good chemistry as they have similar interests. They're both sporty, athletic and they love football in particular. That's something that makes them click.

"As they go on, they're going to get along really well. Some of Harry's weaknesses will be Zack's strengths, and some of Zack's weaknesses will be Harry's strengths. That's what helps them become good friends."

Zack does start to tease Harry by suggesting that John Paul might like him! Is that just a joke, or has he picked up on the tension between them?
    "With Zack, anything that he can use as banter, he's going to pick up on! With any opportunity he sees, he will use it and play on it! I don't think Zack thinks there's anything serious in what he's saying, he just sees it as a joke."

How are you getting along with Jacqueline and Karl?
    "I love them both. They're really helpful, encouraging and really nice people. Because they've had quite a lot of experience in the acting industry, I'm picking up a lot from them and trying to learn as much as I can.

"Everyone else in the cast is amazing too, but Jackie and Karl are in particular. They literally act as parents to me as Duayne as well - they look out for me and they've got my best interests at heart."

Who else have you made friends with?
    "Everyone, really! I get along really well with Parry Glasspool who plays Harry. It's easier to get on well with the people you're going to be acting with. They're the main people that you tend to gel with before branching out to other people in the cast.

"So right now as it stands, I'm closest to Parry, Nadine Mulkerrin, Jackie, Karl, Amanda Clapham and I like the boys as well - Alfie Browne-Sykes and Charlie Wernham. The teenage group are amazing. I also like Fab who plays Ziggy. I play football with some of the cast and everyone is really friendly."

Have you moved to Liverpool for the role?
    "I've moved up now and I'm actually living with Parry at the moment."

Were you nervous on your first day?
    "On my first day, I think Hollyoaks did really well to actually ease me into it so it didn't feel like a lot of pressure. They really made me feel comfortable and relaxed. This is also something that I've been preparing for, so I felt ready to show everybody what I can do. The fact that they were so nice, encouraging and helpful - and the fact that I'd prepared for this mentally - meant that it felt like an easy start."

Have you seen much support from the fans?
    "It's really overwhelming to see the support that the online fans give on Twitter. It makes you want to do your best performance, for them as well as for yourself. They're supportive, helpful and it's all really positive at the moment. I'm really thankful for that and I hope I can keep giving them what they want to see with the best performance that I can."

You've also previously worked with Idris Elba and Gemma Arterton on the film A Hundred Streets - two big names!
    "That was amazing. It was written really well, the director was brilliant and the other actors were as well. So far I've been lucky, because in the two main jobs I've had - A Hundred Streets and Hollyoaks - the cast and the crew have just been amazing. I haven't really come across any negative experiences in this industry at the moment so I'm really thankful to Hollyoaks and the whole team at A Hundred Streets for that!"

Over on Hollyoaks, Zack Loveday suffers a shock accident just as his love life is taking another interesting turn.

Zack (Duayne Boachie) receives an unexpected offer later this month as his ex-girlfriend Sonia Albright unexpectedly gets in touch and invites him to visit her in Belgium.

When Lisa and Tegan both hear the news, they vow to get Zack and Leela back together sooner rather than later – adamant that it's about time they were an item again.

Taking the bull by the horns, Lisa asks Leela to stop Zack from leaving. Zack then goes to meet Leela and they almost kiss, until she suddenly goes cold on him again.

Furious over being messed around by Leela again, Zack storms out of the flat but falls down the city steps. Will he be okay?

Zack Loveday falls down the City Steps in Hollyoaks

© LIME PICTURES
    Zack Loveday falls down the City Steps in Hollyoaks
    © LIME PICTURES

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4, with first look screenings at 7pm on E4.

Digital Spy

it leela stalker ds armstrong returning who pushes him

Thread Information