Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melanie Hill ( Cathy Matthews)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Melanie Hill ( Cathy Matthews)

http://www.itv.com/coronationstreet/...l-joins-corrie

Coronation Street favourite Roy Cropper is to get a new friend played by renowned actress Melanie Hill.

Melanie has been cast as Cathy Matthews, the owner of the allotment next to Roy and Sharif’s plot.

Roy and Cathy strike up a friendship through their love of the allotment and he soon discovers she is getting over the death of her husband.

Is this destined to be Roy’s first chance of romance following the death of his beloved Hayley?

Melanie is best known for her roles in Playing the Field, Waterloo Road and the sitcom Bread, more recently she appeared in Cilla playing the scouse singer’s mum ‘Big Cilla’.

Producer Stuart Blackburn said:

"Recently widowed, Cathy is an engaging yet sometimes chaotic woman. Though her indecision can drive her friends mad, behind the vulnerable front is a woman who truly does have a heart of gold."

“Gentle, kind and intelligent she has more to offer than she knows and in Roy she'll find a friend who will ultimately bring out the best in her. ”

– Stuart Blackburn

"We are delighted that Melanie Hill has agreed to join us and take on the role. Familiar I'm sure to our audience, Melanie is an incredible actress who I know will soon propel Cathy to the heart of Coronation Street.”

Melanie Hill said:

"I'm chuffed to bits to be joining the cast of my favourite soap. I and my family grew up watching it and to actually be working on it is a dream come true. "

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-02-2015), lizann (23-02-2015), maidmarian (23-02-2015), Perdita (23-02-2015)

I liked her in Waterloo Road, she should be a good addition for Corrie.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to moonstorm For This Useful Post:

Perdita (23-02-2015)

I liked her in WR too and yes, I think she will be a good companion for Roy

She was great as Aveline Boswell too in Bread and in Playing The Field, an actress very capable of both drama and comedy

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-02-2015), lizann (23-02-2015), maidmarian (23-02-2015), moonstorm (24-02-2015), Perdita (23-02-2015)

Waterloo Road star Melanie Hill has joined the cast of Coronation Street.

The actress has landed the role of Cathy Matthews, who will strike up a friendship with fan favourite Roy Cropper in a forthcoming storyline.

Melanie Hill
    © PA Images / Jonathan Brady
    Melanie Hill

When Roy starts working on an allotment with Sharif Nazir, he quickly gets to know Cathy as she owns the adjacent plot.

As they start to confide in each other, Cathy reveals that she is getting over the death of her husband. Roy can easily relate to her experiences, having lost his beloved wife Hayley at the beginning of last year.

Speaking of her new role, Hill commented: "I'm chuffed to bits to be joining the cast of my favourite soap. I and my family grew up watching it and to actually be working on it is a dream come true."

David Neilson and Marc Anwar filming scenes for Coronation Street
    © Rex Features / MCPIX
    Roy at the allotments in Coronation Street

Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn added: "Recently widowed, Cathy is an engaging yet sometimes chaotic woman. Though her indecision can drive her friends mad, behind the vulnerable front is a woman who truly does have a heart of gold. Gentle, kind and intelligent she has more to offer than she knows and in Roy she'll find a friend who will ultimately bring out the best in her.

"We are delighted that Melanie Hill has agreed to join us and take on the role. Familiar I'm sure to our audience, Melanie is an incredible actress who I know will soon propel Cathy to the heart of Coronation Street."

As the storyline develops, viewers will have to wait and see whether meeting Cathy could be Roy's first chance of romance since Hayley's death.

Hill has appeared in a number of popular TV shows over the years, including Waterloo Road as Maggie Budgen. She has also starred in Bread, Playing the Field and Cilla among others.

Coronation Street will air Cathy's first scenes in late April.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (23-02-2015), maidmarian (23-02-2015), swmc66 (24-02-2015), tammyy2j (23-02-2015)

Melanie is great... brilliant casting.

Loved her as Rita in Playing the Field and she was good as was it Marie in the Bill, she was married to Jim Carver?

And my personal favourite character of hers was Sandra in Brassed Off....one of my all time favourite films! You wouldnt mess with her. Cant wait to see her scenes in Corrie she is a brilliant actress if given the right stuff

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Katy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-02-2015), Perdita (23-02-2015), swmc66 (24-02-2015)

Exclamation Roy and Cathy to visit Blackpool

Roy Cropper is heading back to Blackpool for more emotional scenes.

The popular café owner will visit the seaside resort with his new friend and possible love interest Cathy Matthews in an upcoming episode

David Neilson and Melanie Hill, who play Roy and Cathy, were spotted filming the scenes on location today (July 14).

The pair's trip will initially go well, but Cathy inadvertently says the wrong thing when she suggests going for a paddle in the sea.

Memories of Roy's late wife Hayley flood back to him as a result, leading to him getting emotional and running off.

Roy visited Blackpool with Hayley in October 2013, enjoying a bittersweet holiday with her after she had been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

He paid another visit last year when he considered scattering Hayley's ashes in the town.

Earlier this month, Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn confirmed that Roy and Cathy will continue to grow closer following his recent discovery of her hoarding secret.

Blackburn said: "Roy and Cathy have been muddling along at the allotment but that is a friendship that is going to really develop and blossom when Roy discovers Cathy's secret.

"She has been very troubled since the death of her husband, she has problems with her house and so she ends up moving in with Roy. But don't worry, it is just as friends."

Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-07-2015), lizann (16-07-2015), maidmarian (14-07-2015), tammyy2j (16-07-2015)

I hope they stay good friends with no romance

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (16-07-2015), lizann (16-07-2015)

Papers keep calling her girlfriend. I wish they would get their facts right

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (16-07-2015), tammyy2j (16-07-2015)

Coronation Street star Melanie Hill has opened up about her addiction to painkillers.

The actress, who plays Cathy Matthews on the ITV soap, revealed that she struggled to stop taking co-codamol after being prescribed the medication following a hip replacement operation.

"I needed a stick, but I had to get rid of it when I was shooting scenes," Hill told Woman magazine.

"I carried on for two years because I didn't want to take time out."

She continued: "I was on the maximum dose of co-codamol painkillers, and after two years it was hard getting off them.

"It took me three months to get completely weaned off them."

Hill joined the soap in April as Cathy, and her character befriended Roy Cropper following the death of his wife Hayley.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-09-2015), maidmarian (18-09-2015)

Thread Information