Thread: Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Exclamation Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Australia is to compete at this year's Eurovision Song Contest.

Organisers issued a one-off invitation as part of the contest's 60th anniversary celebrations.

"It's a daring and at the same time incredibly exciting move. It is our way of saying let's celebrate this party together!" contest supervisor Jon Ola Sand said.

Australia will be fast-tracked to the final, which will take place in Vienna, Austria, on 23 May.

A total of 40 countries will now compete in the contest.

The European Broadcasting Union said Australia had been given a wildcard for the final "to not reduce the chances" of the semi-final participants and because of the "one-off nature" of its participation.

Australia will be allowed to vote in both semi-finals, as well as the grand final. The possibility of allowing the public to have a 50% stake in the Australian vote through televoting is also being explored.

The other participating countries will be allowed to vote for the Australian entry - who has yet to be selected - however should their act win the contest, next year's show will be held in a European city and Australia will be allowed to defend its title.

Gina G
    Australian singer Gina G represented the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest in 1996
    The show has a long tradition of being broadcast in Australia by broadcaster SBS.

"SBS has been broadcasting Eurovision for over 30 years and we have seen how Australians' love of the song contest has grown during those years," managing director Michael Ebeid said.

"We are very excited to have secured this historic opportunity for Australia to be represented on the world's biggest stage and are honoured that the European Broadcasting Union has supported us to achieve this ambition."

Host broadcaster ORF added: "With the participation of Australia, together with our partners at the EBU and SBS, we have succeeded to lift [Eurovision] to a new global level and to build another bridge for the 60th anniversary."

It is not the first time Australians have participated at the song contest.

Singer Jessica Mauboy - who appeared in the 2012 film The Sapphires - provided the interval entertainment at last year's contest.

Australians have also competed representing the UK - including the New Seekers, Gina G and Olivia Newton John - who lost to Swedish pop group Abba in 1974.

line
    Kylie Minogue
    Analysis - Dr Paul Jordan, Eurovision expert
    It might seem a little bizarre, but Eurovision doesn't always follow the rules of geography.

Many of the competitors are from outside of Europe, like Israel and Azerbaijan - and Morocco also entered in 1980.

Participation is defined by being a member of the European Broadcasting Union. Australian broadcaster SBS is a member, and they've broadcast it for 30 years.

Eurovision is hugely popular in Australia - three million watched it last year and they have a very loyal fanbase. This is a one-off: a way of saying thank you for the support, so come and join us for the 60th contest.

I think Kylie would make a fantastic participant, but the question is whether she'd do it or not. It would be interesting to see who Australia chooses - would a big artist with a credible career touch the contest? That's the difficultly we've had in the UK in recent years - it's seen as a poisoned chalice.

It would be a real coup if Australia won because it's supposed to be a one-off a light-hearted gimmick, but there's potential they could win.

It also demonstrates how strong the Eurovision brand is. As a TV format, it has existed for 60 years and it's hugely impressive. Other countries and continents have tried to emulate it, but it's never got off the ground.

What we've got here is a very special song contest that everyone has an opinion on whether they love it or hate it - it's really quite a nice idea of uniting Europe and, in the case of Australia, the world.

I understand their first entry is to be My Heart goes Boom Boom a-Boomerang

Electro Velvet will represent the UK at Eurovision Song Contest 2015.

BBC Radio 1's Scott Mills made the announcement live on the BBC Red Button service tonight (March 7).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6r1tUhl1cQ

Electro Velvet, which consists of Alex Larke and Bianca Nicholas, will perform the track 'Still In Love With You' when representing the UK in the Vienna-hosted Grand Final on Saturday, May 23.

Penned by David Mindel and Adrian Bax White, 'Still In Love With You' is an up-tempo electro-swing track.

Mindel previously co-composed the song 'Someday' for Olivia Newton-John that came sixth in A Song For Europe in 1974.

Larke said: "I feel incredibly privileged and humbled to be representing the United Kingdom in the Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna, for this massively historic 60th anniversary event.

"We have a fantastic song and will work as hard as is humanly possible to bring the contest home and make our great nation proud. It's time to get this party started! See you in Vienna!"

Nicholas, who previously auditioned for The Voice UK 2014, added: "I am so proud to have been chosen to be a part of the world's biggest song contest - Eurovision! It's such an honour to represent the UK, especially in its 60th year too!

"I have never been to Austria before, and I can't wait to get out to Vienna and do my best, and I hope to make the UK proud!"

Saturday 23 May
    8.00pm-11.25pm
    BBC ONE

Graham Norton commentates as the Grand Final of the 60th Eurovision Song Contest, one of the longest-running and most-watched non-sporting events in the world, is broadcast live on BBC One from the Wiener Stadthalle in Vienna, Austria.
    A total of 27 countries will compete in tonight’s Grand Final. Electro Velvet, a musical duo consisting of Alex Larke and Bianca Nicholas, will be representing the United Kingdom performing the song Still In Love With You with an eye-catching and spectacular stage performance.

The Grand Final itself will be presented by Mirjam Weichselbraun, Alice Tumler and Arabella Kiesbauer, the first all-female trio to host the contest in its 60 year history, whilst last year’s winner Conchita will be presiding over matters and chatting with this year’s contestants in the Green Room.

Meanwhile back in London, a surprise spokesperson will deliver the voting results from the United Kingdom plus there will also be a chance for viewers to sing-along during the final by pressing the red button.

Full details on how viewers in the UK can vote in tonight’s Grand Final can be found at bbc.co.uk/eurovision

is this why graham has a beard i shaved mine

Sweden has been crowned the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest 2015.

Måns Zelmerlöw performed 'Heroes' at the 60th final held in the Austrian capital Vienna this evening (May 23).

Sweden's Måns Zelmerlöw wins the Eurovision Song Contest 2015
    © SAMUEL KUBANI/AFP/Getty Images

Sweden's entry scored a total of 365 points to win the event and faced a close battle with Russia who finished on 303 points in second place.

Reacting to his victory, Zelmerlöw said: "I have so much to say right now, I'm so extremely happy and I want to thank all of you for voting and supporting me, my entire team, Fredric and David who couldn't be here but made this performance possible.

"And I just want to say that we are all heroes no matter who we love, who we are, what we believe, we are all heroes."

It's the sixth time Sweden has won the competition - the last time being 2012 when Loreen entered with 'Euphoria'.

https://youtu.be/5sGOwFVUU0I

In this year's top five, Sweden and Russia were followed by Italy in third place with 292 points, Belgium in fourth with 217 points, as well as Australia's debut in fifth with 196 points.

Meanwhile, the UK had a disappointing night with five points, putting Electro Velvet in 24th place.

Host Austria and Germany finished the evening with no points.

Thread Information