Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eastenders Spoilers week beginning 19th January

I was also surprised about the video testimony - and hope that it is true. Rape is such a different kettle of fish to any other type of crime. People mistake it for a sex crime when it is a crime of power. When Fran Drescher (best known for her series "The Nanny") was on Howard Stern a caller rang up to tell her that in his opinion the man who raped her loved her more than her husband because he had to have her. How she was able to stay calm and say "you are mistaken" or words to that effect I do not know. She and her husband were tied up - she was raped at gunpoint while they made her husband watch. Truly something you would never wish on your worst enemy!
    Then the fact that in the eyes of the law you are not there in role of victim but witness! What a travesty! Then there are the "he said, she said" stories - she was encouraging me, when she said no it was just a to and fro game. Hopefully you do not take vitamin C or the bruises caused may not come up in time to be considered due to the rape. Regretably there are women who cry "rape" when things go wrong. I was sharing a room in my mother´s friends groom - she had a one night stand with a married man (yes in the same room - only a chest of drawers separating our beds!!) He felt guilty and told his wife what he had done so she tried to get me to say it was rape! What she did not know was that I had woken up thinking the radio was still on and raised my head only to see them in the bed - and that she was under no pressure! You can imagine my mother´s friend´s face the next morning when his wife rang and he appeared from our room! These type of women make rape cases even harder.
    I was not saying that you should not report rape - simply and only commenting that Linda does not understand if she thinks they will arrest Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
    I was also surprised about the video testimony - and hope that it is true.
    I just had a look to see if video evidence is used routinely in rape trials but couldn't find any information. It may be used more for vulnerable victims including children. I think the victims in the recent grooming ring trials gave their evidence via video.

It'd be nice if it were routinely used because I think more victims would be likely to come forward if it were.

As for malicious rape reports, of course they happen but the Crown Prosecution Service published a survey in March 2013 confirming that false rape reports are 'very rare' and suggesting they could make up less than 1% of all reports.

"Furthermore, the report shows that a significant number of these cases involved young, often vulnerable people. About half of the cases involved people aged 21 years old and under, and some involved people with mental health difficulties. In some cases, the person alleged to have made the false report had undoubtedly been the victim of some kind of offence, even if not the one which he or she had reported."
    Last edited by Dazzle; 24-01-2015 at 15:14.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (24-01-2015)

Thread Information