Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carly Hope

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    get in line

gemma is an awful actress she should stick to her magazine spreads and calendars as a rival for jordan as part of the fake tits club
    Lol. We're joining a long line.

Gemma should just be a model, she looks like she belongs to that world

Emmerdale's producer Kate Oates has revealed more details of Gemma Atkinson's upcoming arrival in the role of Carly Hope.

The ITV soap announced earlier this month that Atkinson had landed the role of Bob's estranged daughter, who will join the village in March.

Gemma Atkinson at The Bodyguard (Adelphi Theatre)
    © Dan Wooller
    Gemma Atkinson

After missing out on Bob's presence while growing up, Carly thinks that her dad has to make up for lost time - but the café owner might find it difficult to secure her forgiveness.

Speaking in a new video released by Emmerdale, Oates explained: "Bob hasn't kept in great touch with all of his children, but we do know that he loves them when they come back to the fold.

"Carly probably resents him a little bit for being so distant. She sees how he was with Donna, who wasn't even his natural blood daughter. We see how he was with Gennie, and she resents that maybe she's not as close to his heart as she'd like to have been."

She added: "That's going to cause problems for Bob and Brenda, but we know that Bob is so big-hearted and so loveable - he's definitely going to want to pull his daughter back into the fold. It's whether or not she's feisty enough to fight back."

Carly will arrive following a series of failed romances, so she will no doubt be hoping for better luck as she settles into life in Emmerdale.

The character has appeared in the soap before and was last seen briefly in 2006, played by Rebecca Ryan.

Emmerdale welcomes former Hollyoaks and Casualty star Gemma Atkinson to the soap's cast next week, as she takes over the role of Bob Hope's estranged daughter Carly.

Carly returns to the village with a bang, shocking Bob (Tony Audenshaw) by revealing that she is getting married that day and wants him to give her away. Her marriage plans soon hit the rocks, but this brings her to the village permanently as she is left with nowhere else to stay!

Here, Gemma chats about her Emmerdale debut and why she has always wanted a role on the ITV soap.

How is it going at Emmerdale so far?
    "It's been really good. It feels like I've been here for a lot longer than I have. As I've worked in TV previously, it's a bit like jumping back onto a treadmill. It's very fast-paced and there are so many units filming at the same time, so on paper it sounds quite daunting, but I've actually been quite calm.

"One of the reasons for that is everyone has been so friendly and it does feel like a nice close-knit family already. I've not really had that on a job before - it's usually been a slow-burner, whereas with this one it's come straight away and that's really nice."

How did the opportunity come about?
    "It was really crazy! I have an agent in the States who wanted me to come out for a few months, but I wanted to look for work nearer home primarily. I said that I'd like to do soap again and I would like to do Emmerdale, so my agent called up and told them that I was a fan of the show and if any auditions came up, I'd be really grateful if they'd consider me.

"It was about six months later that we got the call from Emmerdale. They said they were bringing Carly Hope back and they'd like to offer me the part. It was an offer straight away, which was brilliant. I was like, 'Surely that's someone messing around?!'

"It went from there and I found out before my 30th birthday in November, but obviously we couldn't really say anything at that point - only myself, my partner and my family knew. It was nice because we all kept it secret over Christmas."

Did you know many of the Emmerdale cast before joining?
    "Kath Dow Blyton who plays Harriet was my mother in Hollyoaks, so it's nice to be back with her. It's quite crazy because Alex Carter who was my brother in Hollyoaks was Bob's son in Emmerdale, so we've got the same dad again!

"I knew Kath, I knew Adam Thomas and I'd seen Lucy Pargeter at lots of events. You cross paths with people quite a bit at the Soap Awards and things like that, so it's nice to see some familiar faces."

Was it easy to establish a quick rapport with Tony Audenshaw?
    "I rang Alex when I got the job and said, 'Honestly, what's Tony like?' I trust Alex a lot. We're very much alike with our sense of humour and our opinions on things. He said to me straight away, 'Tony is brilliant, you'll really like him'.

"He was right - within the first hour or so we were laughing together and we do have things in common. I look forward to having scenes with Tony now. It's nice because primarily my scenes will be with him and everyone in the cast and crew has said to me, 'You've got lucky with Tony because he is a gem within the company'."

What can you tell us about Carly's return?
    "Carly arrives in a beautiful wedding dress and she is turning up in the village to ask Bob to give her away. It's her fifth engagement and she's only 25, so she's not been treated very well by the guys in her life. While talking to Carly, Bob discovers that she has only known her partner for four or five months. He's a millionaire, so that's something to do with it!

"Bob tries to talk Carly out of the wedding by saying, 'Don't make the same mistakes that I've done, you're too young'. He gives Carly the fatherly spiel, which annoys her in a way because she thinks that he hasn't got the right to advise her on anything in life because he's not been around. So she tells Bob where to go, she goes to the wedding but then she has second thoughts. I don't think that Bob realises the repercussions this will have, though! In Carly leaving her fiancée, she has got nowhere to go other than Bob's - and she's going to bring a lot of trouble with her..."

We can't imagine Brenda being too happy!
    "Carly has some good scenes with Brenda. She's very ignorant in a way towards Brenda - she keeps getting her name wrong by calling her Wendy and she just hasn't got much time for her. I don't think the audience are going to like Carly at all at first. She is very complex, but she has got a bitchy streak. That all stems from her feeling hurt, neglected and lonely. She's very angry with a lot of people - mainly her dad but also the people close to him.

"Carly resents Bob's family - the twins, for example. There are also a lot of comparisons between Carly and Donna. She never really met Donna, but Donna was obviously the golden girl for Bob. Carly is very resentful that they all had the family upbringing that she missed out on through no fault of her own."

What kind of contact have Carly and Bob had over the years?
    "Carly has not heard from Bob since she was 16. In the episode before Carly arrives, Bob's phone is ringing constantly, but he doesn't answer it because he doesn't even have her number and doesn't know who is calling. Carly's mum and brother have moved to Australia, so she has literally been on her own and has just relied on men to try and look after her and keep her happy. None of them have given her the fairytale ending she wants, so she ends up back at dad's."

We know that Carly will interact with Ross. Could there be a romance brewing?
    "Well, she's got a few people who catch her eye. A few of the guys take a shine to her and she takes a shine to them in return, but she is very inexperienced with the whole romance side of things. She thinks the best way to get by is to jump into bed with somebody and hope for the best.

"There are a few guys along the way, and to make money Carly is like the Del Boy of the Dales. She sells goods from the back of a van - she's got a little fun bus and she sells everything out the back of it! She has got perfume that's not really perfume - it's just water with a bit of fragrance in it. Carly is thinking of herself only. There are a few people in the village who will get angry with her because she's only out for herself."

Has it been nice to film with Michael Parr, who plays Ross?
    "I've not had much stuff with Michael, to be honest. I've only had about two or three scenes with him so far, but he's a good lad. A few of my friends in real life have got their eye on him! I've got to do a bit of matchmaking!

"A romance for Carly and Ross is not confirmed yet. We film in blocks and there are a few potentials who she could have a romance with. Ross is in the mix, but it's a real slow-burner with a few of them. I was reading the scripts thinking, 'God another one!' It depends on the team upstairs and who they decide to put her with.

"I'd like to see Carly first of all make amends with Bob. I think until you've developed your personal relationships and your relationship with yourself, you're not going to be happy with anyone else."

Is Carly a comedy character?
    "The way the scripts have been written for me and Tony has been brilliant because they are very comical but there is a serious side underneath. There are elements to Carly that are quite funny, which is good.

"It's great, because I've never played a nasty character in soap before. I just hope the audience will see there are reasons for it - it's not just because she's a bitch. Hopefully that will play out and the audience will start to feel sorry for her when they find out what she's been through."

Is it nice to be back in the soap world?
    "Yeah, it's the job I love but this is a much better location for me! It makes it more fun to be able to go home to Bury at the end of it, as opposed to a hotel room or a train. It's bizarre, because I did an interview about six years ago and they said, 'In so many years, where would you like to be?' and I said 'In Emmerdale'. I've always said that I do love the soap and my mum is a huge fan. The interviewer said, 'But Corrie's nearer, why Emmerdale?' I don't know if it's because it's based on a farm and I'm really outdoorsy, but I always said that I'd like to be in Emmerdale and here I am!

"I'm very much a home bird. The longest I did in London was six months and it drove me crazy. It was too busy, too expensive. I like it up north."

Would you like to do a long stint on the show?
    "As long as they'll have me, I'd like to stay. It's been going amazingly so far. When I was younger, I would always say that I'd go wherever the work is, whereas the first thing I've asked over the last year or so is where they'll be shooting. It sounds really boring, but as I've got older, I've realised that it's nice to be home and see my nephews and nieces' birthdays that previously I missed when travelling. It's nice to be part of that again."

© ITV
    Brenda and Bob will be affected by Carly's return

Was there any truth in the reports linking you to the US and a role in Supergirl?
    "I read somewhere that I was moving to the States! I did audition for Supergirl, but that came around at the same time that I'd already accepted Emmerdale - not that I would have got Supergirl anyway. It was nice to get down to the final few for that, though. I've auditioned for lots of things in the US and sent my tapes over. I did a film in Russia, The Dyatlov Pass Incident, which was American and was through my agent over there, so I've been very lucky."

Had your role in Casualty come to a natural end or did you give it up to join Emmerdale?
    "It was a bit of both, to be honest. It was left open for me to return, but my storylines were with Jeff and with him leaving, there wasn't much for the character to do. It was also filmed in Cardiff which is a great city but so far away from everywhere!"

Looking back over your time in the spotlight, is there anything you'd do differently?
    "I wouldn't do anything differently. I look back on things with fond memories. Obviously you cringe at some stuff you wore, but I think I'd do that with just my school photos!

"I'm just glad that I never moved away from home. I know a lot of people who started off when I did and instantly moved to London to be 'in the mix'. People used to say, 'You've got more of a chance in London, it's where the big agents are', but I always commuted to work. When I did the months in London, it was for Calendar Girls but as soon as we finished the show on a Saturday, I was straight on the train back home.

"That's the advice I would give to people - just keep with the people who were there before. I still see the main four friends I was at school with all the time and I think that really helps. As nice as all this is, there's a lot more to yourself - it's just a job at the end of the day and I think people get swept away with it. I'm really lucky that my mum has been really honest with me and if I've ever done anything she's not agreed with, she's told me. It's nice to have people around who'll tell it like it is!"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

KiwiElle (03-03-2015), lizann (03-03-2015), tammyy2j (03-03-2015)

sounds like another charity

Emmerdale's producer Kate Oates has teased Carly Hope's upcoming return to the village, warning that she will cause "a lot of trouble" for her father Bob.

Former Hollyoaks and Casualty star Gemma Atkinson has taken over the role of Carly, who shocks Bob next week by arriving in the village in a wedding dress.

Carly Hope returns to Emmerdale
    © ITV
    Carly Hope returns to Emmerdale

Carly is getting married that day and wants Bob to be there, but when he expresses concerns over the forthcoming nuptials, she agrees not to go ahead with the ceremony and moves to the village instead. This decision may not go down well with Bob's partner Brenda Walker in the weeks that follow. What about her intended husband????

Speaking about Carly's return, Oates commented: "I think she's going to be popular with the boys! Carly is going to really stir things up for Bob. She's really resentful of him because she feels that he wasn't the best dad and he's kind of ignored her.

"That's the thing with Bob - everyone loves him, but you forget that he's been married 25 million times and fathered so many children! He doesn't actually have a lot of contact with all of his kids. You get that sense with Bob that he's really devoted to the family he's with at the moment, and that must really hurt when you're one of the family members who is left behind."

Carly urges her Dad to jump in the vehicle with her as she is on her way to get married
    © ITV
    Carly urges her Dad to jump in the vehicle

She continued: "When we see Carly, she's angry with Bob, but we also see that actually the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. She actually shares a lot of traits with him, but she's definitely going to get him in a lot of trouble.

"Carly is going to make him choose between her and Brenda, and she'll maybe deceive Brenda a little bit so that she can have her way."

Oates also discussed the current storyline for Pearl Ladderbanks (Meg Johnson), which sees her stealing from her bosses Paddy Kirk and Rhona Goskirk to fund her gambling habit.

Rhona and Paddy present Pearl with temptation
    © ITV
    Pearl, Paddy and Rhona

She said: "It is nice to have a proper story for Pearl and I like that it's with Rhona and Paddy as well, because I haven't seen enough of them on screen lately. She is going to be letting them down and betraying them, so Paddy will feel like his 'nan' has double-crossed him which is going to really hurt him!

"It is nice to see older characters getting storylines. Sometimes we don't get to do it often enough for one reason or another, obviously if an actor has health concerns, but thankfully Meg is fighting fit and doing brilliantly."
    Last edited by Perdita; 05-03-2015 at 21:30.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (05-03-2015), tammyy2j (06-03-2015)

I am really disliking Carly

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I am really disliking Carly
    no she is growing on me?

I so agree with you both, tammyy2j & sarah c, Carly needs to go and fast.

Over on Emmerdale, there could be more trouble for Carly Hope when Ross Barton takes their latest scheme a step too far.

Upcoming episodes will see Carly's experience of running the local shop go from bad to worse after it gets flooded. It later transpires that she has forgotten to insure it.

After Bob decides to sell his car in order to pay for a plumber to sort out the problem, Carly (Gemma Atkinson) is left feeling increasingly guilty.

Realising that Carly is struggling, Ross (Michael Parr) comes up with an idea. He hands her a set of keys and tells her not to ask questions.

Out on a country road, Carly assists Ross in stealing one of Jimmy's vans by blocking the road with her fake broken down car.

However, the situation escalates when the driver gets out to help Carly and Ross hits him over the head. Will Ross's have actions have serious repercussions?

Ross threatens the driver
    © ITV
    Ross threatens the driver

Ross and Carly's scam gets out of hand
    © ITV
    Ross and Carly's scam gets out of hand

Emmerdale airs these scenes on Monday July 13 at 7pm on ITV.

Carly is an irritating, unnecessary character and she's not as attractive as everyone likes to make on. The women cast are so obsessed with their looks, frightened incase they melt in front of a fire. Gemma Atkinson's full of muscles and looks ridiculous and they're all mad on yoga. I hate the ones that are mad on appearance like it's all that matters and so obviously fancy themselves rotten, so off-putting

Thread Information