EastEnders actors Danny Dyer and Sam Strike have won a gong at this year's Attitude Awards.

The pair were handed the Media Recognition Award for their handling of Johnny Carter's coming out storyline in January.

Johnny breaks down in Mick's arms
© BBC

Former EastEnders star Michelle Collins was at the ceremony to hand Dyer and Strike their award.

In an interview with Digital Spy earlier this year, Dyer said he was proud of the storyline's impact.

"That [coming out] scene was beautifully written and I've had many, many letters from young gay men who came out because of it," he explained.

"I love what I do as an actor because it's a great job, but things like that make you realise how much of an impact your work can have on people's lives when you're in a soap. I hadn't quite realised that and it's quite a life-changing thing."

Dyer was recently named as a Serial Drama Performance nominee at this year's National Television Awards, alongside co-stars Kellie Bright (Linda Carter), Linda Henry (Shirley Carter), Shane Richie (Alfie Moon), Jessie Wallace (Kat Moon) and Adam Woodyatt (Ian Beale).

Voting has now opened ahead of the star-studded event, which will take place at London's O2 on January 21.