Thread: EastEnders omnibus to be taken off air from April 2015

EastEnders omnibus to be taken off air from April 2015

EastEnders will stop airing a weekly omnibus from April 2015.

Executive producer, Dominic Treadwell-Collins, explained that viewing figures for the omnibus edition of the BBC One soap have "steadily decreased" in recent years. Sure the stupid time it is being shown has a large part to play in that ... I can hardly watch the original transmissions these days as the time clashes with me being busy

In a letter published by The Writer's Guild, he wrote: "The BBC is today announcing that the EastEnders omnibus will cease from April 2015. This decision has been taken after much consideration and detailed analysis of the audience research."

He said that the "advent of PVRs and the wide availability of BBC iPlayer" has contributed to a decease in demand for the weekly catch-up broadcast.

"With the anticipated introduction of 30 day catch-up on BBC iPlayer in the near future, as well as BBC One +1, there will be even more opportunities for viewers to watch episodes they've missed," he continued.

Treadwell-Collins assured writers in his letter that the BBC is "absolutely committed to the future of EastEnders", and that it "remains at the heart of the BBC One schedule".

A BBC spokesperson confirmed to Digital Spy: "EastEnders is a key part of the BBC One schedule but viewers are increasingly using their recording devices or iPlayer to catch-up on episodes they've missed rather than rely on the weekly TV repeat.

"As a result, from April 2015, BBC One will no longer show the EastEnders omnibus."
    Last edited by Perdita; 02-10-2014 at 19:08.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (02-10-2014)

The Sunday omnibus attracted 3 million viewers, but was axed in favour of a midnight showing (that's bound to maintain viewing figures, NOT) Our iPlayer frequently fails to work smoothly as do many. .EE is a keystone of weekday viewing so why not put the omnibus back on Sunday, easier to record or view for people unable to watch in the week particularly those with young children.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Glen1 For This Useful Post:

Perdita (02-10-2014)

Good news: The EastEnders omnibus is set to return to TV, after finding a home at UKTV's newly-rebranded channel W.

Fans of the BBC soap will also be able to catch same-day episode repeats on the channel - formerly Watch - from February 15 onwards. This means that fans won't lose out when BBC Three, which currently airs the nightly repeats, goes online-only next month.

EastEnders previously stopped airing a weekly omnibus in April last year, due to decreasing viewing figures.

As well as EastEnders, W will be the home of UKTV originals Honey I Bought the House, Get Me To The Church and US exclusives MasterChef USA, Code Black and Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders.

Steve North, W's general manager, said: "W's programming includes our new authored documentary strand, which covers modern life in the digital age - from dating and friendship, to the cult of celebrity.

"We also have shining, new entertainment properties that focus on key life moments, like getting married (Get Me To The Church) and buying a first home (Honey I Bought the House) as well as one of the nation's favourite dramas, EastEnders, on air just a few hours after its BBC One premiere as well as bringing back the omnibus. The peak W schedule will include a host of glittering US series."​

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Good news: The EastEnders omnibus is set to return to TV, after finding a home at UKTV's newly-rebranded channel W.
    This is good news for some fans, but not for people like me who only have access to Freeview. We can obviously catch up online, but I don't enjoy watching TV on my laptop.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (15-01-2016), Perdita (15-01-2016)

With the BBC Three digital switchover happening this month, those worried about EastEnders can relax - because the new schedule has been revealed.

The final ever BBC Three EastEnders repeat will air on February 15 at 10pm, before the channel moves online, so set the record button.

You can then catch up on all the goings-on in Albert Square on UKTV's newly-branded channel W from Tuesday, February 16 at 10pm.

It will be a 40-minute slot due to W having adverts - yes, you'll now have to endure those.

A next-day repeat on W will then air at 10.20am, just in case you didn't manage to catch it the night before.

EastEnders previously stopped airing a weekly omnibus in April last year, due to decreasing viewing figures.​

However, we already know the omnibus is returning, but they haven't released the exact timeslot for that yet, so watch this space.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

TaintedLove (04-02-2016)

Will this digital switchover effect BBC iPlayer at all Perdita?

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
    Will this digital switchover effect BBC iPlayer at all Perdita?
    I donĀ“t know, TL

Thread Information