Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Erika (Claire King)

Coronation Street airs Claire King's first scenes on the cobbles later this month as she takes on the role of Liz McDonald's friend Erica.

The former Emmerdale and Bad Girls actress will be featuring in a steamy storyline as Erica sets her sights on local businessman Nick Tilsley (Ben Price), bringing him some happiness after his difficult year.

Here, Claire chats about Erica's arrival, what fans can expect from the character and why she's unlikely to return to Emmerdale as Kim Tate.

What is Erica's background?
    "When Liz originally went over to Spain, she met Erica there and I think they went through quite a few things together. They have each other's backs, so they soon became good muckers. Erica runs a bar over there and I imagine at the time she was married and her husband was a little handy with his fisticuffs.

"Erica is a tough person, straight-talking but she's got a good sense of humour as well, so she's not like the other character in the Dales! She's not bitchy. I think she's got out of this relationship and she's wanting to live life to the full."

Why has Erica turned up?
    "Erica has come to see her mother and sort out some family business. Her mother is not so good but they don't particularly get on. I don't really know the reason for this yet, but I'm sure it will all come out in the wash.

"Erica's mother lives in Preston, so because Liz lives nearby, she thought she'd pop in. She did send her a postcard beforehand saying, 'Scrub your doorstep because I'm arriving soon!' But Liz doesn't get the postcard until after Erica's arrived!"

How will you feel if people start referring to your character as a cougar?
    "I don't mind that but I don't think she's particularly a cougar. In this instance I suppose she is because she's got a younger guy that she actually clicks with, but I think it's good for Nick as well because it brings him out of his shell and his suits actually. He starts wearing some jeans and things!"

Nick's impressed by Erica
    © ITV
    Nick's impressed by Erica

It sounds like she literally gets him out of his suits!
    "Well there is that as well! In every scene there's a reference to going to bed, having a drink or something to eat. I think there are only two scenes where I don't have a glass in my hand, so I think she's probably the lush cougar!"

Is it an instant attraction between them?
    "No, I think it's one of those things where they just get talking and Nick sees something in her that's not like a clingy younger person, so he doesn't think this could be trouble. He just thinks, 'Wow, she's got a great attitude to life, just wants to live it and I want some of that'. They just get on. From the word go they say it's just a fling, so it's two adults just enjoying it."

Did you get a chance to get to know Ben Price before the racier scenes started?
    "Every time I do bed scenes, it's usually, 'Oh hi, I'm Claire. Well, let's get to it!' At least this time we got to know each other a bit and he's absolutely lovely. He's been really welcoming, as Bev [Callard] has, because I've done most of my work with those two."

How will Gail react to this new relationship?
    "Not very well at all! You can imagine Gail is not impressed and thinks Erica is brash, flamboyant and a bit of an old soak really - and she's probably not far off!"

Erica kisses Nick
    © ITV
    Erica kisses Nick

Is there tension between Erica and Nick's ex Leanne?
    "No and I was expecting that with her being the ex-missus, but actually we get on quite well because Nick and Leanne are quite at ease themselves as ex-husband and wife and I think Leanne is pleased to see him not be so mopey. Erica also instigates Leanne working for Nick at the Bistro again."

How does the relationship play out?
    "They both just want a fling and know what it is. They're both of a certain age - they're not teenagers with all these hormones raging. But then Nick starts thinking maybe Erica wants a bit more out of it and starts to get worried when her mother has a fall and she can't go back to Spain.

"Erica also starts thinking he's a bit more clingy than what she wanted, so they're both at cross-purposes and think the other is falling for them. So there are a few awkward scenes and then they have to talk about it, so New Years Eve is the big boom!"

Does Erica rival Liz when it comes to revealing clothes?
    "She's more booby and leaves the legs bit to Liz! Erica is skinny jeans and leather jacket."

How does it feel to be back in a soap?
    "It's been a long, long time. I don't think people really understand how long it's been - 16 years. The good thing about it is you've been there, done it before and know the system to a certain extent. This is more full-on, but it's a very well-oiled machine.

"You know it's going to be hard work - that you turn up and know your lines. You have no idea where you've come from or where you're going because there are so many scripts. Usually actors are very meticulous about continuity, but you just don't have time on a soap, so you have to rely on costume and make-up. As teamwork, it works."

Erica flirts with Nick
    © ITV
    Erica flirts with Nick

Were you nervous about joining?
    "I was, particularly on the first day and the first scene in The Rovers because you walk in there and think, 'Oh god, there are all these people here and they're all watching me'. If you ask anyone in the cast they'll all say that, even now after 20 years. I just had a short scene with three or four people, so it wasn't a full bar so not too bad. I did most of my scenes in the Bistro first so it was easier."

Were you actively looking for another soap role?
    "I knew [Coronation Street producer] Stuart Blackburn when he was the exec at Emmerdale and he came to see me in a play at The Lowry called Fetish Nights, which was quite funny but not for children!

"We'd been talking about things and whether there was the possibility and I said, 'Well I don't think I'll go back to Emmerdale, I think too much water has passed under the bridge now for that character, but I would consider Corrie'. It's probably the only one I would do, having done Hollyoaks. It was skirting around, but it was in his head after that!"

Do people still see you as Emmerdale's Kim Tate?
    "They did for ages and that's still the case in certain areas, although then you get people who call me Karen from Bad Girls. And then you'll get Strictly fans who say, 'You were great, you laughed your way through'. After Bad Girls, I did get 'Claire' and people thought of me as an actress rather than a character in a TV show and that was nice. It'd be good to get rid of 'Emmerdale actress' as it has been a while."

You don't tend to play quiet characters!
    "I'm glad you said that and not non-bitchy characters because there's only been two, Down To Earth and Emmerdale and the others have all been strong women. More recently I suppose they've been comedic. For the last five years all I've done is comedy really, and a lot of people don't know that because it's either been shoved on E4 or it's been on stage so a limited audience.

"I suppose it's the way I look as well. I'm not 5 foot 2 and size 4, I'm broad-shouldered and strong-looking but that's fine, you're playing to your strengths. Type-casting's not painful because it helps your job."

Would you like Erica to become a long-stay character?
    "I think we've got a great character here and I think she could go on. There are scenes in which we were laughing out loud. I think there's something which could be really big with Liz and Erica - they could be a tour de force. Because Annie [Kirkbride] is off for a bit, Liz needs a mate and she's got a playmate in Erica. I think that could be a really good story."
    Last edited by Perdita; 05-12-2014 at 04:42.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (05-12-2014), tammyy2j (08-12-2014)

Its hard to imagine Nick with anyone since his illness he has not been nice to be around. I miss nice Nick.

Coronation Street viewers will see Erica Holroyd arrive back in Weatherfield next week, much to Nick Tilsley's delight.

Former Emmerdale and Bad Girls actress Claire King previously made an appearance on the cobbles at tail end of last year.

Erica is an old friend of Liz McDonald, who previously worked for the Rovers landlady in Spain. She decided to seek Liz out after arriving back in the UK, but soon set her sights on Nick (Ben Price).

When Erica turns up at the pub to surprise Liz once again, it is clear that Nick is thrilled to see her and is keen to rekindle their fling.

Nick is delighted to see Erica, they can't keep their hands off each other as they pick up where they left off.
    © ITV
    Nick is delighted to see Erica

Nick and Erica later find themselves unable to keep their hands off each other and they immediately pick up where they left off.

King's stint on the show was initially only meant to be for a few weeks, but bosses later decided to extend her storyline.

Coronation Street airs Erica's return on Friday, March 6 on ITV.

Cannot see value of bringing her back

Nor can I

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (25-02-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by swmc66 View Post

Bo-ring

Bo-ring

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LouiseP For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (25-02-2015)

I don't mind if she's going to be permanent and if they flesh out her character (she was very one dimensional in her first stint) as I like Claire King, and I liked the sense of fun she brought to Nick's character.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

lizann (25-02-2015), maidmarian (25-02-2015)

I agree Dazzle but we know that it won't last for long, "secrets" will be revealed that shock and lives will never be the same ......

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (25-02-2015), parkerman (25-02-2015)

I hope they will be explosive secrets that will rock the cobbles.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (25-02-2015), lizann (25-02-2015), Perdita (25-02-2015)

Thread Information