Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elaine - Linda's Mother

Quote Originally Posted by flappinfanny View Post
    Sounds pretty dreadful but it may breath life into the Vic, not sure about the Elaine recast, Harriet Thorpe is a little ott for me and I did like Maria Friedman in the role, however Colin Salmon is a good signing, time will tell.
    she is from brittas empire, so thinking ditzy

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/eas...ne-new-family/

It's the beginning of a new era in EastEnders next week, as Linda's mum Elaine returns to Walford as part of some big changes at The Queen Vic.

Elaine, who will now played be played by Harriet Thorpe, will unveil herself as the new co-owner of the iconic Walford pub and will be joined by the rest of her family over the coming weeks.

Here, Harriet reveals all on her new role and teases "big consequences" after Elaine's dramatic arrival.

Welcome to EastEnders! How has your time in Walford been so far?

"It?s a dream come true. My family originally came from the East End, two generations back, so it?s like coming home. Everyone has been so warm and wonderful, it?s been so fun and creative so far. With all the drama and the laughs of the show too, I really couldn?t ask for anything more."

lHow did you feel when you got the part?

"I felt so honoured. It?s a wonderful story of another strong woman who takes no nonsense, is fearless and forthright but who has a big heart. Again, it?s a very fulfilling role."

Did you do anything to celebrate?

"I was already in a theatre show at the time, working eight shows a week, so I couldn?t go out and celebrate. I also couldn?t tell anyone so I?m still waiting to celebrate!"

We know you?re set to join as the new co-owner of The Vic. How does it feel to be part of a lineage of iconic landladies?

"Again, I feel so honoured. Also, importantly, it?s an honour to portray a 65-year-old woman of today as not being coy, fearful or anxious. Elaine is more of a rock chick girl rather than a 1940s landlady."

Can you give us some insight into Elaine?s character?

"She?s funny, fearless, forthright and her phrase for her life is: 'life?s a mess, get on with it or get over it. Keep moving forward'."

What was it like filming your first scene in The Vic?

"It just felt very awe-inspiring, thrilling and exciting to begin to find the breath to put into this character as she enters through the doors and starts her journey on the Square."

What has it been like working with Kellie Bright?

"She?s absolutely amazing. She?s supportive, funny and we?re very communicative about this wonderful mother-daughter relationship. Our job, as characters playing a mother and daughter, is to irritate the hell out of each other and their relationship can be testing at the best of times."

Is Elaine?s arrival on The Square smooth sailing?

"Of course not! There?s always some drama!"

How do you think Sharon and The Panesars will react to Linda?s deceit?

"I think they?re both hugely shocked, with big consequences."

We know you will be part of a brand new family ? The Knights. Can you tell us how it feels to be part of a new family on EastEnders?

"It is something that we?re all enjoying so much because they?re a group of such interesting characters who have their own issues, thoughts and passions for life."

Is Elaine here to stir up trouble?

"I don?t think she stirs it up but whenever there is any, she sorts it out immediately."

Can you tease what viewers can expect from Elaine over the next few weeks?

"Some laughs, a bit of wit, a bit of wisdom and a strong woman."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/eas...lande-rivalry/

EastEnders has confirmed a new rival for Elaine Peacock.

The co-owner of The Queen Vic will soon clash with legendary character Yolande Trueman over the handling of Walford's Christmas choir.

In scenes airing next week, Elaine takes control of planning a Christmas event sponsored by The Vic. Soon, her family are feeling stressed by Elaine's very high expectations for the party.

At the same time as planning for The Vic's festive celebration is going on, Yolande starts organising the Christmas choir ahead of their seasonal performance.

Yolande has trouble recruiting enough members for a full choir, so Elaine muscles in to take over the recruitment drive with promises of free booze.

This drives a wedge between the two women, as Yolande resents Elaine for taking control of running the choir without even consulting her.

Harriet Thorpe, who plays Elaine, has revealed that The Vic landlady's involvement in the choir initially comes about completely by chance.

"Sonia suggests it to Yolande at the Christmas lights switch on, and Elaine thinks it?s a wonderful idea and that she should be running it," she said.

"It makes complete sense, what with her life experience professionally and creatively. It's an outrage that Sonia suggests Yolande should run the choir because Elaine's huge talent for community spirit, as she sees it, is being overlooked."

The friction between Elaine and Yolande may be stressful for viewers, but Thorpe has said it was "divine" to film the scenes where the two clash.

"Elaine and Yolande slightly cross swords regarding who should be 'the leader' of the choir," Thorpe said. "These are two women trying to highlight their potential, and it's very funny. There is very theatrical attention-seeking on both parts! They are both fuelled by their egos, and in those moments, nobody else exists."

The actress credited EastEnders producers with showcasing female friendships on the show ? even if Yolande and Elaine don't necessarily get off on the right foot.

"It's absolutely vital. For example, Kathy and Elaine are great together, and I have the most fabulous time working with Gillian Taylforth," she said. "These two characters support each other but have no filter most of the time and can speak very honestly to one another. That's wonderful and core to friendship because you should always tell the truth to your friends.

"It's those moments that matter. Plus, Elaine and Kathy have a mature understanding of life experience."

Thread Information