Neighbours star Eve Morey has claimed that it is easy for viewers to relate to her character Sonya Mitchell.

Sonya has been part of the Ramsay Street soap since August 2009, originally appearing as a guest before later being upgraded to a full-time regular.

Morey told What's On TV of her alter ego's success: "I think she is very relatable to viewers because she's pretty normal. Even looks wise, she's not glamorous, there is something quite humbling about her.

"Also, I think on an emotional level she always tries to do the right thing and the audience relates to that even when things are quite dramatic - she always does it for the right reason. Her heart is always in the right place."

Sonya's current storyline sees her keen to have a baby with boyfriend Toadie Rebecchi (Ryan Moloney).

Morey added: "I think they would be wonderful parents because they have put so much thought into the decision. Toadie has always wanted a child, and Sonya has always had this thing in her to make up for her past troubles.

"Whether there might be too much care and thought to get this one right, we'll have to wait and see."

Neighbours favourite Jackie Woodburne (Susan Kennedy) recently hailed Sonya as one of the soap's best characters.