Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Edna Birch

A memorial service for Emmerdale favourite Shirley Stelfox takes place at Leeds Minster this afternoon [17 March 2016].

The 74-year-old actress, who lived near Newark, played Edna Birch in the soap for fifteen years. Many of the cast and crew are expected to attend. She died in December after a short battle with cancer.

ITV News
    http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/upd...to-take-place/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Telly Watcher For This Useful Post:

Helena8 (18-03-2016)

That's a lovely idea. Like many viewers, I will miss Edna. I wonder how she will be written out?

Imiss her already, although I do appreciate Pearl and Harriet talking about her and keeping her 'alive' for now

Emmerdale will pay an emotional tribute to its much-missed cast member Shirley Stelfox next week, as the villagers learn that her character Edna Birch has passed away.

Stelfox died in December last year at the age of 74 following a short battle with cancer. Her final scenes in the role of Edna had already aired when the announcement was made.

Next week's episodes see Ashley Thomas (John Middleton) receive a heartbreaking phone call from the hospital to inform him that Edna has passed away.

Ashley then faces the sad task of sharing the news with the rest of the villagers, but his father Sandy is furious when he learns that Ashley knew Edna was unwell and didn't tell him.

© ITV
    Ashley and Laurel break some devastating news

© ITV
    Ashley and Laurel break the news that Edna has died

An upset Ashley tries to explain that Edna wanted her illness to stay private, but Sandy remains angry as he feels that he missed out on his chance to say goodbye to Edna one last time.

Freddie Jones, who plays Sandy, revealed: "There's quite a serious argument where Sandy says that Ashley should have told him. Ashley explains his reasons, but Sandy is furious. It's a heavy scene.

"Edna's friendship was very important to Sandy. We had some very good scenes together. When we got the walkie talkies, that was a brilliant invention on the part of the scriptwriters. That was real imagination and a brilliant concept."

© ITV
    Sandy is furious with Ashley

© ITV
    Sandy blames him for not allowing him to say goodbye to Edna

© ITV
    Sandy is furious with Ashley

He continued: "In a scene coming up, you find Sandy with the walkie talkie again. He's talking to Edna but he isn't, because he knows she's dead and there's no chance of communicating with her. Nevertheless, he talks to Edna on it and says, 'You cheated me, you went before me!' and all this kind of thing.

"It's a delicious scene and a very wonderful moment, while always avoiding being mawkish or overly sentimental. I invented the idea that at the end of the scene, I finish and throw the walkie talkie over my head and say 'And out!' I'm very proud of that."

Edna's passing will also lead to some big questions for those that she left behind. Ashley learns that Edna wanted him to lead her funeral service, but he struggles with the request as he's lost his religious faith following his recent health crisis.

Fans will also be left to wonder who'll look after Edna's beloved dog Tootsie now that she's gone.

© ITV
    Shirley Stelfox as Edna Birch in Emmerdale

John Whiston, ITV's creative director for soaps, led the tributes to Stelfox after she died last year. Tributes also poured in from Emmerdale cast, crew and the wider soap world.

Speaking at the time, Whiston commented: "The family here at Emmerdale are deeply saddened by Shirley's passing. It is hard to imagine Emmerdale without her.

"We offer our condolences to Shirley's family and share our feeling of loss with the millions of viewers who will miss Edna enormously."

By Daniel Kilkelly, Digital Spy
    http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emme...s-in-hospital/

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Telly Watcher For This Useful Post:

Helena8 (26-04-2016), tammyy2j (26-04-2016)

Thread Information