Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edna Birch

Exclamation Edna Birch

Emmerdale's Edna Birch plays a big role in Aaron Livesy's return storyline next week as she gives him a place to hide from the police.

When Edna first spots that Aaron (Danny Miller) is back in the village, she is quick to report him to the authorities - leading to a heavy police presence in Emmerdale.

Shirley Stelfox plays Edna Birch
    © ITV
    Shirley Stelfox as Edna Birch

However, Edna is later given pause for thought when she gets confirmation that Aaron didn't really start the fire at Cain Dingle's garage two years ago. Can she make amends for the trouble she has caused?

Here, Shirley Stelfox - who plays Edna - reveals more about what's to come for her character.

How does Edna feel about reporting Aaron to the police?
    "Edna does have enormous guilt about having turned Aaron into the police once she knows more about the situation."

Early next week, Edna asks Paddy who really started the fire. Is that because she suspects it wasn't Aaron?
    "Edna needed confirmation, but I think she knew deep down beforehand that it was never Aaron. Once she hears more about it, she also knows Adam would not have been trying to kill Cain in the fire, just to hurt his business - Adam as always was lashing out."

What does she think about Adam for all the mess he's caused?
    "Edna can see Adam is someone who generally does make a mess of things. Adam seems to always blame others for what is going wrong in his life. I think Edna feels Adam is quite young and doesn't always face up to things. She sees he tends to shout off about something or say it's others that have created the mess that he's found himself in.

"Of course, she wouldn't want to knock Adam's character too much in front of Aaron, but Edna certainly knows why Adam does what he does."

Edna shows an interest in Aaron
    © ITV
    Edna shows an interest in Aaron

Why does Edna decide to help Aaron by hiding him?
    "She's guilty over what she did. I think the guilt means she feels obliged to help. Edna's such a moral character, so it is a big thing for her to hide someone from the police. It's not her usual behaviour, but I think she does feel a huge sense of guilt that she got involved before."

What happens when the police come looking for Aaron at Edna's house? Will Edna give him up?
    "You will have to wait and see what Edna does! Edna has a strong moral code but she is also fair."

Is Edna there when Adam makes his arson confession in The Woolpack? If so, what does she make of it?
    "Yes Edna is in the pub when Adam makes his announcement and her main thought is 'about time'."

Can you see a friendship developing between Edna and Aaron?
    "Despite this gesture, I don't see a big friendship developing between Aaron and Edna. You will have to see the episodes to see what actually happens between them but they do share a poignant moment, which will give Aaron food for thought.

"Aaron doesn't need Edna as a friend as he has Paddy and others, but he would know she would give him advice should he ever ask her for it."

Chas calms things between Aaron and Cain
    © ITV
    Aaron is in trouble with the police

Have you enjoyed working with Danny Miller?
    "Absolutely. It has been lovely working with Danny and I have very much enjoyed recording our scenes together."

Who is your favourite person to spend time with in between takes?
    "It's funny but it's hard to single people out. I tend to enjoy the time between my scenes with whomever I share them with. If I do have a gap I tend to head outside and it really depends who else is outside too."

What else is coming up for Edna?
    "Edna has a storyline that will start looking into her past. It all happened a long time ago, but it was life-changing for her and that will come back to revisit her. Sandy will also get involved. This backstory will help to explain a lot about her."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

KiwiElle (05-10-2014), maidmarian (19-08-2014), tammyy2j (19-08-2014)

Edna has been living with the guilt that she caused a man to take his own life. Fans will know that the Emmerdale pensioner discovered her husband Harold was having a gay relationship with a man called Lawrence, so shopped him to the police. At the time being gay was a crime and Lawrence was sent to prison where Edna was led to believe he killed himself. But next week the past comes back to haunt her when Sandy Thomas discovers Lawrence is alive. Sandy convinces Paddy and Aaron to join him and confront Lawrence. When Sandy gets him to confess he's the Lawrence they're looking for, he refuses to see Edna and sends them away. Later Sandy tells Edna Lawrence is alive, but is this music to her ears or will the ghosts of her past come back to haunt her? With Sandy's revelation playing heavy on her mind, she fails to see Lawrence approaching and is shocked when he introduces himself. Lawrence wants to explain everything and bury the hatchet, but can she forgive and forget so easily?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to britgirl For This Useful Post:

KiwiElle (05-10-2014), maidmarian (25-09-2014)

Unhappy Edna Birch star Shirley Stelfox dies

Emmerdale star Shirley Stelfox has died following a short battle with cancer.

The 74-year-old actress, known to millions for her role as no-nonsense Edna Birch on the ITV soap, passed away at home on Monday (December 7) with her daughter Helena by her side.

John Whiston, ITV's creative director for soaps, has led the tributes to the popular star.

"The family here at Emmerdale are deeply saddened by Shirley's passing. It is hard to imagine Emmerdale without her," Whiston commented.

"We offer our condolences to Shirley's family and share our feeling of loss with the millions of viewers who will miss Edna enormously."

RIP Shirley

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (08-12-2015), maidmarian (08-12-2015), sarah c (08-12-2015), tammyy2j (08-12-2015)

RIP Shirley
    Last edited by tammyy2j; 08-12-2015 at 12:07.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (08-12-2015), maidmarian (08-12-2015), Perdita (08-12-2015)

oh gosh I am shocked!!!

RIP Shirley

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarah c For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (08-12-2015), Perdita (08-12-2015), tammyy2j (08-12-2015)

Came as a total surprise to me too ... must admit I have shed a few tears, will miss her character

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (08-12-2015), tammyy2j (08-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Came as a total surprise to me too ... must admit I have shed a few tears, will miss her character
    She was great as Rose too in Keeping Up Appearances

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (08-12-2015), Perdita (08-12-2015), sarah c (08-12-2015)

Such a shock. RIP Shirley

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalesfan For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (08-12-2015), Perdita (08-12-2015)

Emmerdale's Shirley Stelfox who played Edna Birch has died aged 74 following a battle

18. The Following User Says Thank You to uberfan For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (08-12-2015)

A sad loss.A very talented & versatile actress.

Thread Information