Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nancy Carter

Exclamation Nancy Carter

EastEnders newcomer Maddy Hill has admitted that she doesn't know whether her character Nancy Carter will get together with Dexter Hartman.

The pair initially clashed when they got off on the wrong foot, but Khali Best (Dexter) has since hinted that there would be more to come for them in the future.

Speaking to Inside Soap, Hill said: "I genuinely don't know. I actually went to drama school with Khali Best, so it might be weird - but nice.

"I've been asking Dom [Treadwell-Collins] to tell me what is going to happen, but he won't say anything."

Next week's episodes will see Nancy get revenge on current boyfriend Wayne after her mum Linda makes a shocking discovery.

Hill said: "Those scenes were too satisfying to film. Nancy's not too bothered about Wayne at this point.

"She knows her parents don't like him so Nancy was basically just vying for their attention. In any case, I think that Nancy's always known she was too bright for Wayne."

Nancy gets her revenge on Wayne.
    © BBC
    Nancy gets her revenge on Wayne.

Hill also heaped praise upon her on co-star Sam Strike, who plays her on-screen brother, Johnny. Viewers saw Johnny open up about his sexuality in emotional scenes earlier this month.

Hill said: "Sam's a few years younger than me, but that boy is so mature, we don't notice the age gap at all. As s soon as we found out we would be playing brother and sister, I went and spent the day in Southend with him for a little bonding sesh.

"It's nice to have someone who is going through exactly the same experience at the same time as you are."

EastEnders: Maddy Hill on awards, Carter reveal and Nancy's future

EastEnders star Maddy Hill could have a night to remember at the British Soap Awards this weekend after being nominated for the Best Newcomer prize.

After nearly five months on screen as no-nonsense Nancy Carter, the actress is in the running for the gong alongside Coronation Street's Amy Kelly, Emmerdale's Michael Parr and Hollyoaks' Charlie Clapham.

Digital Spy caught up with Maddy this week for an exclusive chat about her nomination and why the drama for the Carter family is only just beginning…

How does it feel to be up for Best Newcomer?
    "I'm really excited and it came as a surprise when I found out, because I'd thought all of the nominations were already out, to be honest! When they released the viewer-voted nominations like Best Actor I thought that was it, so I had no idea that I'd be up for anything."

Have you given any thought to possibly winning the prize?
    "I've got absolutely no expectations whatsoever because I don't really know how the process works and what they base it on. Everyone in the category is really strong so I think everyone has got a really good shot."

The Carters have definitely dominated the shortlist this year! Did that take you all by surprise?
    "It was a total surprise, especially as it's happened so soon! I thought that we would have had to be in the show for a bit longer before we got any kind of nominations, so everyone is over the moon."

Do you think EastEnders is in with a good chance in general this year?
    "I hope so, but I think Corrie's also had a really good year. The best one will win at the end of the day, but I think EastEnders has improved so hugely in the last few months that we really do deserve some recognition.

"Dom [Treadwell-Collins] has put in so much hard work since taking over as executive producer, so I think it'd be great if we could get some recognition for what he's been doing."

Mick protectively cuddles Nancy and Linda in front of the Carter family portrait.
    © BBC
    Nancy with Mick and Linda

How would you sum up the past few months since joining EastEnders?
    "It's definitely been life-changing as it's not an ordinary job! (Laughs.) When we first joined, they did tell us that it would change our lives entirely and they were absolutely right, because it definitely does.

"You have to commit to the show wholeheartedly, but I think the more you put into the show, the more you get out of it. I'm having the best time as it's so much fun. EastEnders is such a stimulating environment to be in. I'm working with lovely, exciting people and I'm really having the best time of my life."

Do you get recognised much by fans in the street?
    "Yeah - all the time! People are never rude but they can be a little invasive, so you just have to be friendly and accepting. You have to remember that people don't often get to meet people who are on TV - so even though it's an everyday occurrence for you, it's not for them. I just try to be as friendly as I possibly can."

Nancy is very different to many of the other characters on the Square. Have you had much input into her development?
    "I have, as the team at EastEnders are really, really flexible and they're always looking for your input. Actually, when we started, Nancy wasn't going to be anything like the way she is now. She was always going to be very opinionated and confident, but she wasn't going to be what she has become now - so it's been a group effort of writers, producers, hair and make-up, and costume.

"It's great that the team are always prepared to listen and they always value your input."

How do you feel about the positive reaction to the Carters?
    "The reaction has totally taken us by surprise - we had no idea how they'd be received. The producers actually told us that there usually can be a little bit of hostility towards new blood in the soaps, as people like what they know.

"I think there was a little bit of that as in the first week, I saw people online saying, 'Oh, I hate her!' But then things started to get more and more positive, from what I can tell. The reaction that I've seen on the street has been really positive about the Carters."

Nancy and Mick fight it out
    © BBC
    Nancy and Mick

What has Danny Dyer been like to work with as your on-screen dad?
    "Absolutely fantastic! He's hilarious and a lovely guy. Danny is so thoughtful and I've learned so much from him because he's been in the business for so long. He's been great at supporting me and Sam [Strike, who plays Johnny] through everything. Danny is just a really lovely, funny and clever man."

We know everyone asks you this, but is there any news on Nancy and Dexter's future? Do you think they'd make a good couple?
    "I still have no idea what's going to happen, but I think there's going to be quite a bit on the cards. They've been in a lot of scenes together and I can't see nothing coming of that! I think there'll be a little bit of reciprocation on Nancy's part - it's not the type of thing that would just be left alone in the show, so you'll see more."

Do you think Lucy Beale's killer could be part of the Carter family?
    "I very much doubt it, based on what we've seen so far. I think Lee as the killer would be too obvious, but the only people who know for sure are the producers upstairs. The rest of us might not find out until February next year!"

Nancy looks uneasily at Lee after she hears him answering the police questions.
    © BBC
    Nancy recently questioned Lee's alibi

We've seen a lot of fans saying they'd like to see Nancy get a big storyline soon. Is there anything on the horizon?
    "There is - there are Carter storylines where Nancy has to support the rest of the family coming up sooner, but after that, there'll be a window for Nancy's big storyline - so hold on for that!"

A lot of the family seem to have secrets. Do you think there's more to learn about Nancy?
    "Not that I know - there are no skeletons in the closet! What's coming up is more a case of what's going to happen to her, but there aren't any secrets as such. Or at least not that I know of - they could be keeping it a secret from me!

"There is another big Carter family secret being revealed in Thursday's episode, though, so that's another one to watch out for..."

I think she will begin a relationship with Dean until Shirley tells her he is Uncle not her cousin

Maddy Hill, who plays Nancy Carter on EastEnders, has revealed that a big story affecting the entire Carter family will begin soon.

She told BBC Radio 1: "Something pretty extreme is going to happen in the family and that is going to affect everyone. It is big, very big and things won't be the same. You should be worried and scared!'

She also spoke out on whether one of the Carters could have murdered Lucy Beale after her brother Lee (Danny-Boy Hatchard) was named a potential suspect.

She said: "The Carters would be loyal like any good East End family. The family is very much built on loyalty and no matter what happened they would stick together, I think.

"At one time I heard I was a suspect and I got really excited but now that seems to have fallen off the radar.

"Clues will keep coming out. It will be a case of thinking this person did it, then this person did it, then this person. Apparently there are four people that know, big head honchoes upstairs. Obviously if one of the cast knew everything could spill!"

When asked how long she sees herself on the soap she said: "I love the idea of Nancy always being there, I want to know what she is going to be like as an adult, someone with her own family and having kids and stuff like that, so it is definitely something I think about."

Nancy Carter is left feeling livid on EastEnders next week as she becomes convinced that her mum Linda is having an affair with Dean Wicks.

Sharon Rickman is to blame for the mix-up as when Linda tells her about Dean recently trying to kiss her, Sharon suggests that she may not be entirely innocent in the situation.

As the two friends end up in an argument, Mick asks Nancy to step in and take a drunken Sharon home. However, when Nancy does so, she is left horrified as Sharon spills the beans about Linda and Dean…

Here, Maddy Hill - who plays Nancy - reveals how her character reacts to the troubling news.

How does Nancy feel when she hears what Sharon has to say?
    "Nancy is really shocked - she would never, ever expect that of her mum. She sees her mum as a lot of things but not disloyal and definitely not a cheater, so she's taken aback. Her mum has always been utterly loyal to her dad."

Does she believe it straight away?
    "Why would Sharon make it up? She can't think of a reason she would so has to believe it, as Sharon has no ulterior motive."

How does Nancy feel towards her mum after this?
    "She's really angry and upset. Nancy is so close to her dad as she's such a daddy's girl, so this is the ultimate betrayal."

How does she feel towards Dean?
    "Absolutely venomous. She can't stand him. She tried to welcome him into her family and he repays her by doing this!"

When Mick expresses concern about Nancy's strange behaviour, is she tempted to tell him then?
    "She's tempted to tell him, but at that time she still thinks it will do more harm than good and she wants to get to the bottom of what's actually going on. She knows it will crush her dad and he'll go nuts at Dean and that will be a lot to handle. So she has to measure the pros and cons before doing something rash."

But then she sees Linda and Dean together and loses it…
    "That's when she decides that they're having a full-blown affair. She hasn't actually seen anything other than maybe a look, which is Dean pining after Linda - but when you have an idea in your head, you fill it out and see things that aren't even there. At Stan's birthday party, Nancy is reading into all these things which is just Linda being awkward with Dean after what happened. She reads it really wrong."

Will Nancy reveal all to Mick?
    "You'll have to tune in and see! She's very angry, so anything could happen…"

Mick has also recently lied to Nancy over the Rainie situation, so does that make her feel worse?
    "Probably. It's hit Nancy a little bit later than most - because she's still quite childlike and so close to her family - that her parents aren't infallible. It normally hits people when they are about 18 that your parents aren't perfect, and she's reaching that with both of them. When it's one after the other, it's more hard-hitting."

Fans have picked up on the relationship between Nancy and Tamwar. Could there be romance on the cards?
    "I don't know - I think they're just very good friends at the moment. I don't think that Nancy sees it that way, but maybe she hasn't grown up enough yet. Maybe she's not looking for a relationship, and if she's not looking for a relationship, she's not going to appreciate a good one that's there in her face. She'd have to be ready to enter into something with Tamwar as she'd only do it if she was very serious about him."

What about Nancy and Dexter?
    "There's not been much action there for a while but there's some unfinished business. I'm pretty sure that she fancies him and that usually leads to hanky panky!"
    How do you make the on-screen Carter family bonds seem so natural?
    "Because we really, really, really like each other! I realise that if I've had a full day working with them, I come away from it feeling so fulfilled and happy. We work so well together. As long as you like each other and know each other really well, it gives so much scope for interesting acting. We don't have to make an effort to spend time with each other - we just really want to spend time with each other."

What's it like working with Timothy West (Stan)?
    "Absolutely fantastic - he's hilarious and a legend. You learn so much from him. He's a comic genius. There are some scenes when Stan's just there, looking a bit like he's up to something in the background and feeding one liners and it's so funny. I can tell, at least I hope, that he really enjoys those scenes."

Aside from the Carters, who else from the cast have you grown close to?
    "I spend a lot of time with Himesh Patel. We get on really well and spend a lot of time thinking up comedy sketches. I always have a good chat with Lindsey Coulson and Sam Womack cracks me up. Everyone is lovely!"

What's been your favourite scene to film so far?
    "There have been so many! There's a hilarious one we filmed recently when there were a lot of us round at the Masoods'. We were filming back-to-back scenes all day and Nitin Ganatra is the funniest man alive. He just made my day an absolute pleasure and everyone else's day - everyone was just cracking up all day. That was very fun!"

Nancy Carter's temporary position in charge of the Queen Vic causes her further stress on EastEnders next week as Shirley insists on moving her son Dean into the pub.

Shirley makes the decision as she is determined to keep the family together in the wake of Linda's rape revelation, but her actions infuriate Nancy and are bound to cause further fireworks among the Carter clan in the long-run.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Maddy Hill, who plays Nancy, to hear more about the Carter dramas, her character's long-term future and her reaction to being shortlisted for Best Newcomer at the National Television Awards.

How does Nancy react when Shirley wants to move Dean into The Vic?
    "Nancy feels very out of control of the whole situation. She's been asked to look after the pub and that's a very adult responsibility, but she can't control who's moving into The Vic.

"The main problem is that Nancy knows Shirley and Dean aren't allowed in the pub but she has no idea why. She's been given a lot of responsibility but not any explanations for why it's happened, so she feels quite frustrated by that."

Does Nancy start to question what really happened between Linda and Dean?
    "Absolutely. She's the only one who has any pre-text on the situation. Nobody else knows about the time that Dean kissed Linda, so there's no reason for Lee to be suspicious of an affair or anything like that. That makes Nancy's reaction quite different to her brother's."

Is it a relief for Nancy when Mick and Linda finally return home?
    "It is to an extent, but by that point things have started to work a little bit more steadily at the pub. Mick and Linda coming back just means that Nancy will once again have to be faced with whatever's happened.

"Nancy needs to find out what really happened now, because so far she's been left in the dark. So their return causes a mixture of emotions and it's not necessarily relief at all."

Nancy tells a shocked Shirley she knows Dean kissed Linda
    © BBC
    Nancy will remain trouble over the next fortnight

How does Nancy feel when she does find out about the rape?
    "It's the last thing Nancy even considered and she feels a lot of guilt because her reactions to the situation have been quite different to everyone else's. Nancy is quite a forthright person and she can be quite offensive, so when she looks back on everything that's happened, her immediate feeling is one of tremendous guilt."

Will the truth coming out lead to the core Carters being brought closer together?
    "I really hope so and I think it will once everyone knows. This is the whole point of this storyline in terms of reaching real people's lives.

"A really important message is to tell the truth and be as honest as you possibly can with those that love and support you. There's no need to be afraid of them knowing what you've been through, because them knowing will always make your life easier. Suffering in silence has got to be the worst thing."

Will Nancy have a big story of her own this year?
    "I'm going to be on screen a hell of a lot, from now right up until the live episode and after that. I've got quite a bit in the live.

"Nancy is going to have a big story, but I don't even know what it is myself yet! Just before Christmas our producer said to me, 'Make sure you sleep loads at Christmas because I'm going to be working you very hard next year!' I'm well up for it."

Now that Dexter is gone, would you like Nancy to have a new love interest?
    "Yeah, because Nancy barely skimmed the surface with Dexter and she's not had much success in terms of her love life so far. I think she does deserve it!"

Dexter makes light of Nancy's family situation
    © BBC
    Nancy and Dexter

How do you feel about viewers pointing to Nancy and Tamwar as a good match?
    "I think they're absolutely right! I love the speculation and I think their relationship is not necessarily the expected, so that's great. People shouldn't look past each other just because they're a bit different. In this case, Nancy is a confident tomboy and Tamwar is a bit of a textbook nerd, but I think they're alike in the way they're both misfits. I think they'd be really interesting together and they'd really love each other."

Are you excited or nervous about the live episode?
    "I'm really excited. A lot of people at work seem quite nervous, but I don't want them to be because I think it'll be really fun to bring everyone together. It's nice when everyone comes together and there aren't actually that many opportunities for that. You might think it's like that, but at work you spend a lot of time with who you're in the scene with and you don't really see anyone else.

"I think this will be a reason for everyone to be in the same place at the same time, but I'm not entirely sure what to expect yet! But I'm excited more than I am nervous."

Who do you think killed Lucy Beale?
    "We know as little as you do - we genuinely do! I think it would be most interesting and shocking if Ian had done it, but then I always look back on his reaction to hearing about Lucy's death and I can't buy that it was fake! I know it would be really horrible if Ian had done it, but it would be really shocking."

How did you feel when Sam Strike (Johnny) left the show?
    "I was absolutely devastated. I'm obviously happy for him and in support of him, but we were just so close. In the same way Danny and Kellie have their scenes together, me and Sam had all of our stuff together.

"You don't quite realise it until afterwards, but when Sam first left I had two weeks where everyone knew I was uncharacteristically quiet and found it very difficult. I miss him!"

How do you feel about being shortlisted for the Best Newcomer NTA?
    "I'm really, really surprised to be honest. I also feel under quite a lot of pressure as EastEnders nominees have won the Newcomer award for the past few years!

"Khali Best won it last year and he's with my agent. I remember at the time my agent said, 'Oh it'll be you next year!' and I was like, 'No, please stop saying it!' (Laughs.) I'm definitely way more petrified than I would be if I wasn't following in such an impressive succession!"

Have you met your rivals in the category before?
    "I know Mike Parr from Emmerdale through a friend so we always have a chat at awards events and we're always up against each other! I've won one before and he's won one before! It's nice to be in it with him, because I'd be really pleased if he won it."

Why should people vote for EastEnders for the top soap prize?
    "Usually I wouldn't be biased but I just think the show has come on so remarkably in the last year or so that I think it deserves it. I think the show is at such a good point with such an amazing cast and crew. Everyone works so hard to create something that's quite different, I think."

Are you nervous about attending the awards event itself?
    "I'm going to be absolutely bricking it, definitely! The red carpet isn't necessarily the nervewracking bit as that's just a case of being like a rabbit in the headlights, but I'm almost certain that I'm going to be absolutely petrified afterwards. If so many EastEnders people hadn't won this award I wouldn't feel any pressure at all, I'd be totally 'c'est la vie' about it!

"I always say it's best to just tell yourself that you haven't won something like this, so I always convince myself that it won't be me - which I'm quite good at doing! (Laughs.) Then if you do win it's a really nice surprise. It'd be horrible if you convinced yourself you will win and then it's the opposite. So I definitely won't be winning it, thank you very much!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (11-01-2015)

sorry nancy maddy i want ross mike parr to win the nta

EastEnders is waving goodbye to Nancy Carter and Tamwar Masood, Digital Spy can exclusively reveal.

Maddy Hill and Himesh Patel have already filmed their final scenes in the roles and will bow out on screen in a few weeks' time.

Hill has been playing Nancy for just over two years, while Patel has been on our screens as Tamwar for nearly nine.

​Both actors made their decisions to leave last summer and are now keen to pursue other opportunities.

​Mick and Nancy go through a box containing cards that Nancy has given to Linda through the years​.
    © BBC
    Announcing her decision, Hill told Digital Spy: "It was time for Nancy to take a break from her family and me from EastEnders after having a wonderful time working on the show.

"I was surrounded by a terrific team both on and off camera and I shall miss seeing them all on a daily basis, especially the fabulous Carter family."

Patel told us: "After almost nine years with Tamwar, it's time to bid him farewell and explore pastures new.

"I'm looking forward to new challenges, perhaps on the stage or behind the camera. Whatever awaits me, I'll miss my family at EastEnders immensely - they've watched me grow from boy to man and supported me every step of the way. It's been a true privilege to work alongside them."

Is this the end for Nancy and Tamwar? ​
    © BBC
    Viewers recently saw Nancy and Tamwar break up after a new business venture tore their happy relationship apart. Nancy has since confided in her family about how she's feeling directionless in life.

With Nancy soon to get the fresh start she's been seeking, could she reunite with Tamwar or will they both be going their separate ways?

Hill proved an instant hit with her role as Nancy, securing the Best Newcomer prizes at the British Soap Awards in 2014 and the National Television Awards in 2015.

Nancy is unimpressed with Mick's present to Lee​
    © BBC
    Patel has also been credited for his work both in front and behind the camera on EastEnders. Memorable storylines from his eight-year stint include Tamwar's unlikely hobby as a stand-up comic, his ill-fated marriage to Afia Khan and his involvement in a deadly fire that left him badly burned.

More recently, Tam has encountered various mishaps while trying to take control of friends and neighbours in his role as market inspector. A recent touching scene which saw him explain the true meaning of Islam to Nancy was also widely praised.

Patel also co-wrote an episode of EastEnders: E20 in 2011 and starred in his own online spinoff Tamwar Tales.

Digital Spy

Gutted
    Last edited by Perdita; 12-03-2016 at 19:53.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (13-03-2016), lizann (13-03-2016), sarah c (13-03-2016)

that is a shame, 2 good characters

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

sarah c (13-03-2016)

​EastEnders fans should make the most of Nancy Carter and Tamwar Masood while they can, as Maddy Hill and Himesh Patel have confirmed the date of their final episode.

The pair exclusively announced their departures on Digital Spy last month and it's now been officially revealed that their exits will air at the end of next week.

"We finished filming five weeks ago. April 22 is our last day on screen," Hill told The Radio 1 Breakfast Show today.

Asked whether the door is left open for Nancy and Tam, she replied: "Yeah we can tell you that - yes! You can have that much! They still exist."

Hill paid tribute to her on-screen family, explaining that she'd miss working with the Carters the most.

​"Kellie [Bright] and Danny [Dyer] and everyone in the immediate Carter family," she said. "It's huge. You spend more time with them than you do with your real family.

"We all went out for dinner on Saturday and it's the main thing that you're going to miss. It's the main thing that gets you through the graft and it's the reason you're there for so long and you love the job so much."

Quizzed over whether she took any souvenirs away from the set with her, she replied: "West Ham pants! My first episode I got married in that white tracksuit and Danny put me over his shoulder and exposed my West Ham boxers. They're the ultimate signifier of my time there.

"The amount of time I spend with people coming up to me saying: 'Oh those awful clothes they put you in, who decided that?' I'm like, 'Me! I had a big say in it!' It could be worse - I could have to wear skimpy little mini-skirts. I'm in the ultimate comfort wear."

Patel, who is bowing out as Tamwar after nearly nine years, was also interviewed and paid tribute to his own on-screen family.

"Because I've been there for eight and a half years, it's really the end of a chapter for me," he commented. "A lot of the people that you work with regularly, you actually become close to.

"So I'll definitely miss Nitin [Ganatra] who plays my dad, because he's not just been a great actor to work with, he's been a great mentor."

Revealing what he's up to next, Patel added: "I've written an essay for a book called The Good Immigrant. That's coming out in September. If you go to my Twitter I've tweeted about it. That should be a good read. I'm taking a little different direction now. Well, maybe not a life as an author because it's hard work!"

Digital Spy

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (11-04-2016), Glen1 (11-04-2016)

Thread Information