Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tornado storyline

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    As time begins to run out for Lou, a panicking Susan calls her husband Karl for help and he tells her about an emergency procedure that he once performed on their son Malcolm.
    OMG I remember Karl doing that with Mal years ago - it was really scary!
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LostVoodoo For This Useful Post:

Perdita (30-08-2014)

A few weeks after the tornado, one of Neighbours young characters makes a fateful mistake that impacts on the life of another.
    Wouldn't surprise me if something happened to Paul and his injuries from the tornado turn out not to be serious and this injury could be a lot more serious.

Ariel Kaplan did a Q&A a few weeks ago on the Neighbours facebook page, she was asked what her favourite storyline was. She said?

The Paige storyline, eating disorder one and one I can't reveal!

Looks like the one she can't reveal will have something to do with the character who makes a fateful mistake and injures another character.

Life on the line
    Could this be Lou's last goodbye in Neighbours?

Susan is confronted with the possibilty of losing Lou forever in a nail-bitting episode of Neighbours.

In a storyline guaranteed to keep fans glued to the screen. Lou's life is put in danger when the ceiling of Harold's crashes down and he's pinned under a beam. Before the critical emergency, Susan (Jackie Woodburne) and Lou (Tom Oliver) are enjoying each other's company, despite the bad weather in Erinsborough.

"The storm is getting quite serious, so everyone else heads off to check on their homes and families," Jackie, 58, explains. "Susan isn't in a rush, so she decides to wait it out at Harold's. It's far to wild outside. She and Lou sit down and are having a lovely catch-up - he's even put together some food for them."

Their relaxing sanctuary from the storm is rudely interrupted. The power goes out and a tree smashes into a window, giving them a fright. Lou reassures Susan and goes to check on it but suddenly the ceiling crashes down around him! "If Susan had time to think about it, I'm sure she'd freak out about what's happening," Jackie says. "Time is crucial, so she's carried by adrenaline."

Susan screams out his name into the darkness. He doesn't reply, so she's too distracted by the heavy beam crushing his body and doesn't realise he's also choking on a piece of food! "Susan tries to help him but she can't move the beam because it's too heavy," Jackie explains. "She rings an ambulance and then realises it's actually the choking, not the beam that's the real danger." When the ambulance is delayed by the storm, she calls Karl (Alan Fletcher) for moral support.

"Karl tells Susan she's done everything she can," Jackie says. "He wants her to focus on keeping Lou as calm as possible. He can't breathe, so that's all she can do."

Susan can't stand back and watch Lou fight to stay alive. She tells Karl she'll do anything to help him. It's at this point Susan is forced to make a life-or-death decision but is it too late? Could this be the end for one of Ramsay Street's most loved residents?

Source: TV Week Soap Extra 28th August - 11th September

Neighbours has been airing the show's dramatic tornado episodes on Australian screens this week and two new videos have been released offering an insight into how the storyline was filmed.

Tim Phillipps and Jenna Rosenow, who play new couple Daniel Robinson and Amber Turner, host the behind-the-scenes features and reveal the secrets of the natural disaster storyline.

Daniel and Amber both feature prominently in the tornado episodes as they are out driving when the storm reaches a peak, blowing the car roof off.

The incident comes just as they are having their first major fight, which is sparked when Amber discovers that Daniel's tattoo is inspired by his ex-girlfriend.

The Neighbours tornado episodes air on Monday September 15, Tuesday September 16 and Wednesday September 17 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5 in the UK.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s1...oOONrcAqUlLiyM

Neighbours' tornado episodes are just over a week away in the UK and a full set of pictures can now be revealed showing the natural disaster and its aftermath.

Ramsay Street couple Daniel Robinson and Amber Turner are among those in danger in the storyline, as they are out driving when the storm hits and blows off the car roof.

Lou Carpenter also finds himself caught beneath wreckage at Harold's Store, with Susan Kennedy the only person who can save him when he begins to choke on a piece of food which is lodged in his throat.

The tornado leaves behind endless damage on the Street and the local area, but also leads to two marriages hitting the rocks as Brad Willis and Lauren Turner's recent secret kiss is exposed in the aftermath of the chaos. Can their respective partners Terese and Matt forgive them?

Neighbours airs the tornado episodes on Monday September 15, Tuesday September 16 and Wednesday September 17 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5 in the UK.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s1...oP4V79JrNLj07i

With just one week until Neighbours' tornado episodes reach UK shores, Channel 5 has unveiled a new trailer for the soap's big week.

The local residents will receive warning that bad weather is on the way, but only realise the terrifying extent of the situation when the tornado arrives in Erinsborough.

The trailer shows the natural disaster wreaking havoc on the local area, as Lou Carpenter's life hangs in the balance.

Ramsay Street couple Daniel Robinson and Amber Turner are also in danger in the storyline, as they are out driving when the storm hits and blows off the car roof.

Neighbours airs the tornado episodes on Monday September 15, Tuesday September 16 and Wednesday September 17 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5 in the UK.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s1...oPiWJuoEjaR4Uk

Neighbours' Stefan Dennis on tornado plot: 'Paul's life is in danger'

Neighbours airs some of its most dramatic scenes of the year next week when Erinsborough is hit by a natural disaster.

Paul Robinson will be amongst the characters who get caught up in a tornado after he heads out to find his nephew Daniel following an argument. Ramsay Street residents are aware that the storm is on its way, but the bad weather will turn out to be much worse than expected as the tornado wreaks havoc on the area.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Stefan Dennis, who plays Paul, to hear more about the big episodes and what they were like to film.

Paul has had a very difficult year so far. What has that been like to play?
    "As an actor, it has been tremendous to play. He has had a death, he's had depression, he has had a relationship breakdown, a new family member, his sister has come back in, he has business dealings and he has recreated the hotel. It has been pretty good for the actor in me."

Do you think having Daniel around has helped him in the aftermath of Kate's death?
    "Yes, Daniel has stepped into Kate's shoes. Already on screen you have seen that closeness with Paul and Daniel and the reason there is that closeness is because they are uncle and nephew, even if the audience hasn't seen that history. Paul keeps in contact with his brother and sister all the time and is well aware of their children Madison and Daniel. He has seen them grow up and would know all about their history.

"So there is a closeness to begin with, but with Daniel now living with Paul, they have become very close very quickly. Also, another thing that makes them so close is the fact that they are total opposites. There was the scene recently where Daniel was speaking to his mother about Paul and Paul was speaking to his brother about Daniel. They were mirroring each other and I think it was even a split screen scene. It gives a really good insight into where their relationship is now and where it is going."

Obviously we have the big tornado episodes coming up. What was that like to film?
    "Exciting! Well, exciting and boring. It was exciting because from the moment they told us they were going to film a tornado, we were like, 'What? You are going to do a tornado on our budget? Really?' But then we got the script and we saw the tornado unfolding on the page. When we filmed it a few weeks later, there was an enormous amount of money put into it, a lot of care and attention and a lot more people working because of all the special effects.

"All of that was very exciting. It is nice to go to work and sit in a car with massive Hollywood wind machines around you with debris flying everywhere and people spraying you with water hoses. The downside of it is that when you are setting up all these special effects and waiting for the weather and the right light, there is a lot of standing around, sitting around, joke cracking and a lot of coffee drinking."

Was it a challenge to film under the show's budget?
    "It was a massive challenge. When you consider that we are working on a soap budget and not a Hollywood film budget, to get the end result we got was really quite amazing. But it was a massive challenge because more than anything, time is money in this situation and they have got to get the shot right. There is the challenge of getting it right in the time frame you have and also you've got the challenge of the special effects actually working in the way they are supposed to work on paper.

"One massive thing happens with my character and they literally only had one crack at it. If just one small thing had gone wrong, it would have completely screwed it up and that creates a lot of tension. It is situations like that where you have to be professional and know there is a time for joking and there is not a time for joking. Fortunately, it pulled off without a hitch and it worked brilliantly. There are obviously some things you can do over again if it isn't right but with the special effects and the stunts, you really only get one crack at it. If it doesn't work, that is the budget blown on that one and it is back to the drawing board."

What will it look like on screen?
    "I think it is going to look massive on screen. I think the audience will be really taken aback by what we have managed to achieve, although it is hard not to be biased about the production you are working on. Obviously Neighbours is very dear to me and it is a huge part of my life but I am actually very proud of this one. It is a group of episodes that I think have been pulled off brilliantly. At the end of the day, it is a soap and we all know that. It is not Shakespearean, it is not a Hollywood blockbuster - it's a soap. But for a soap, I think we have done a marvellous job and I think the audience will see we have done a marvellous job and be pleased with it."

Before the storm breaks out, Paul discovers that Brennan is now seeing Paige. How does that make him feel?
    "Paul is very unhappy with Brennan. That puts him in a really bad mood. He is furious with him for moving on too quickly. One minute he saw Brennan professing undying love for Kate and saying how he will never get over her and in Paul's eyes, he now sees him with this young bit of fluff. He thinks, 'Hang on a second, I thought you were in love with my niece?' He is very angry about it."

Daniel and Paul have a row and that prompts Paul to go off after him in the midst of the storm. Does this put him in danger?
    "He has a big row with Daniel and Daniel storms out. When Paul discovers that the storm is not just a storm but an ensuing tornado, he starts to get quite concerned and frightened for his nephew's life. He goes out into the storm to look for him and that is something he would never ordinarily do. Paul is frantic and wants to find him, but that puts him in serious danger."

What happens after that?
    "Well because he is trying to drive through this storm, he is swerving around objects with hardly any visibility at all. He hits something in his car and that freaks him out because he doesn't know what or who he has hit. It is then all pointed towards a certain character who is missing at the time so there is a lot of fear and guilt going on inside Paul's head. The problem is that Paul didn't stop to check because he was so frantic about finding Daniel."

We have already seen Paul in a very fragile state this year. What kind of emotional impact will the tornado have on him?
    "You will see a couple of things come from Paul that you wouldn't ordinarily see. He decides to be generous in a way that is surprising but that is all I am giving away on that one. I don't want to say too much but a lot of intense closeness will be seen in the aftermath."

What kind of impact will the tornado have on Ramsay Street in general? Will there be a lot of destruction?
    "Yes. Again, we have to use a bit of artistic license with this because if it really was a tornado the size of what it is supposed to be, then it would have annihilated everything in its path. But again, budget restraints don't allow us to do that because we can't just start knocking down buildings and our budget isn't enough to make it look like they have been flattened.

"What the art department did instead was work tirelessly over time to make sure that they could create as much devastation as they possibly could. It is quite convincing when you see Lassiters and you see Ramsay Street and all the key areas. It brings all of the residents of Ramsay Street together because there is a massive clean-up. It is that typical thing where everybody pulls together after a disaster."

Do you think there is a chance that Paul could return to his old ways after this and maybe try get his position as mayor back?
    "That is a very key part. There is quite a turning point there but I can't give it away."

Would this be something you would like to see?
    "Yes absolutely. It is so luscious to play a character like him. That is the beauty of playing Paul. You would probably hate him in real life but he is such fun to play."

Can you tell us anything else that might be coming up for Paul in the future? Could there be any romance on the cards for him?
    "There is some romance in the air shortly after the tornado. But a long-term romance? Possibly not - not at this stage anyway. I am amazed that Paul hasn't sworn off women altogether because he has had such a rough time with them. He just keeps going back to the whipping post."

Jackie Woodburne on tornado, anniversary and Susan stories

Neighbours favourite Susan Kennedy finds herself at the centre of a life-or-death drama as the show's tornado storyline hits UK screens next week.

When the ceiling at Harold's Store caves in on Lou Carpenter due to the natural disaster, his life rests in Susan's hands as she is the only person around to save him.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Jackie Woodburne, who plays Susan, to hear about the tornado, Neighbours' upcoming 30th anniversary and future storylines for the Kennedys.

What was your reaction when the producers first told you about the tornado storyline?
    "We were all very excited as it's not the sort of thing that Neighbours usually does - we've never done anything like this. We've done a couple of big action scenes in the past, but this is much bigger than anything we've attempted before."

Were you grateful that Susan was one of the characters chosen to play a role in the storyline?
    "I was grateful on two levels - firstly that I had a lovely storyline to do during the tornado, but secondly that I wasn't actually going to be out in the tornado itself! (Laughs.)

"The cast that were out in the tornado were amazing because it was mostly night shoots and it was very cold. There were water cannons, wind machines, jets blowing at them and debris flying towards them. It would have been very, very hard work for them but everyone had the best time."

Was it challenging for the producers to do something so ambitious on a small soap budget?
    "I think they make cuts here and there when they want to do something like this, so they've got a bit more of a budget for it. It's not just the restraints of the budget, though, but also the time we have to shoot it. If something like this was shot in a big feature film it would take weeks, so to get the effect we got in such a short time was amazing."

What can you tell us about Susan and Lou's scenes in the tornado?
    "When the tornado strikes, Susan and Lou are both at Harold's. Rather than go out into the storm, they decide to stay put and wait it out. During the storm the electricity goes out and Lou goes to investigate, but then the ceiling collapses, a beam comes down and he's left trapped. Lou is also eating a sandwich at the time, so he's actually choking as he's trapped under the beam."

What happens next?
    "Susan can't move the beam as it's too heavy. She also can't get an ambulance to come quickly enough, because the emergency services are 20 minutes away. Susan phones Karl and asks what she can do to stop Lou from choking, but he says that there's nothing - all she can do is make sure that Lou is comfortable as there's nothing to be done.

"Susan won't accept that and insists there must be something, so Karl finally tells her there is one option but it's a risky and dangerous procedure. Susan says she'll do it, so she does. It's either going to kill Lou or save him!"

These are Susan's biggest scenes for a while, so were you glad to get something so intense?
    "Yes, it was really good. It's not just the event itself but also the trauma Susan feels afterwards. It's one of those situations where something happens and you're running on adrenaline, but once it's over and you can think about what might have happened, you keep reliving it over and over in your mind and that's the really distressing time. Susan finds it very difficult to process it and she is actually overwhelmed by what's happened.

"That also ties in really well with Nate's post-traumatic stress disorder storyline. Nate is able to help Susan with her trauma, just as she is helping him with his. The two storylines tie in together really nicely."

Were you glad when you heard that Nate was being brought in as a new houseguest for the Kennedys?
    "Absolutely - Meyne [Wyatt] is a very interesting young actor and Nate's story is quite dark. It's not the sort of thing that we normally do on Neighbours. He's a returned Afghanistan war veteran with post-traumatic stress disorder, so there's a lot going on there. He's a very broken man and he has a very short fuse, so he's a dangerous man and you don't really know which way he's going to jump. That's a really interesting dynamic to bring into the mix."

We've also seen some classic Kennedy comedy recently thanks to Karl's Book of Secrets! Were you glad to go back to some old-style Neighbours humour?
    "With any script or scene, Fletch and I always look for the gag. If there's any opportunity for a light moment we'll always find it, because we both think that's the strength of the show - having the lighter moments as well as the drama. The Book of Secrets story was what we like to call Kennedy gold, because it's silly and good fun. We both really, really enjoyed doing that."

There seems to be great feedback for Neighbours at the moment with fans saying the show is back to its best again. Have the cast been feeling the same way?
    "Yeah, there was a time there where nobody seemed to be related to anyone and everyone was a bit adrift. Now the show has gone back to three or four core families, with the younger characters having all of their adventures and the older characters being there to support them and rescue them if necessary, while having their own stories too.

"The families all interconnect and there's a community sense again. I think that's the strength of the show and I think it's really good that we have gone back to that."

The current producer Jason Herbison is a genuine fan of the show, so would you say that's made an impact too?
    "Yeah, Jason goes back right to the beginning as a young journalist. He was covering the show from that perspective for a long time, so he's right across the show's history. Jason also has a genuine affection for the characters and the show, as well as a loyalty and a desire to maintain that integrity. He's been a very, very positive influence."

It was great to see Libby back this year. Would you like to see her return again?
    "Oh, absolutely. Libby Kennedy is an iconic character. To have Kym walk onto set, it was as if she'd only just left. She walked straight back into the role, straight back into the Kennedy family and it was lovely to have her there."

Have the producers told you much about the show's 30th anniversary plans yet?
    "No, and I have tried everything! I've tried bribery, I've made threats - nothing works! (Laughs.) Everybody is very excited about it because it's going to be the biggest ever occasion for the show.

"I know that the producers have got a lot of feelers out for past cast members to come back for a visit. I don't know exactly how they're going to bring people in, but I suspect it's going to be very exciting. I don't know who's definite and who's not, but they have very high hopes for a lot of ex-cast members."

As a cast, are you all speculating amongst yourselves about it?
    "Of course! None of us know much at all! Everyone's saying, 'I saw on Twitter that so-and-so said such-and-such'. We're all in the dark - none of us know for sure!"

Speaking of Twitter, would you be tempted to join it yourself?
    "It's not my cup of tea. I haven't got Facebook either! I do know how to do emails, so that's not bad, but I don't do Twitter. I think it's a great device if you're promoting a show or trying to market something, but just to tweet that you had a really nice ham sandwich for lunch doesn't really do it for me!"

Can you give us any final hints on what you've been filming recently?
    "There's another lovely little comedy story coming up for Karl and Susan where Karl is madly trying to get more animals back into the house again, but his choices are a little imaginative and not quite what Susan would hope for! There's some lovely comedy stories on the way."

Thread Information