Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavin Rodwell - Andy Carver

Exclamation Gavin Rodwell - Andy Carver

Former Hollyoaks and Mr Selfridge actor Oliver Farnworth has been cast as Gavin, the long-lost son of Les Dennis's character Michael.

Oliver Farnworth
    © Getty Images / Dave M. Benett
    Oliver Farnworth

Farnworth said: "I'm absolutely delighted to be joining the cast of Coronation Street. Having spent my childhood in the North, to be given the opportunity to return and work on such an iconic, popular TV show is a dream and feels like a natural homecoming. I can't wait to tread the cobbles!"

Blackburn added: "Sexy, confident, engaging and yet still with edge and depth, Oliver as an actor has got it all and I can't wait to see Gavin light up our screens."

The characters Callum (Kylie's ex) and Gavin have been tipped to cause fireworks on the cobbles as their respective pasts will no doubt make a big impact on the Platt family over the next few months.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (14-08-2014)

Coronation Street newcomer Oliver Farnworth has said that his character Gavin Rodwell will arrive in Weatherfield with an ulterior motive.

Gavin and Michael (Les Dennis) will come face-to-face later this week following Michael's attempts to track his son down.

However, while Michael fails to be completely honest with his son about his hereditary heart condition, it soon becomes apparent that Gavin is hiding a secret of his own.

Discussing whether there could be a darker side to Gavin, Farnworth said: "He is in financial difficulty. He has bills mounting up, he's unemployed and there's a scene where he is eating beans out of a pan because he just doesn't have any cash.

"Going back to that child in him, perhaps he feels a bit hard done by and feels he is actually owed something.

"As ugly as that is, subconsciously that's what he is feeling. Meeting Michael stirs up a lot of stuff and there is that part inside him that feels like he's owed something from him."

Speaking about Gavin and Michael's first encounter, Farnworth said: "I think Gavin warms to him quite quickly. There's a scene in the Bistro where they meet up and it's quite emotional for both of them.

"There is a bit of ice between them initially but fortunately Gail is there to spur the conversation on. Then they relax a bit, have a beer and see each other for who they are."

Discussing a possible spark between Gavin and Steph Britton, Farnworth added: "I think they do. Again, I think this is weariness that he is in too deep, too soon."

There's an instant attraction between Gavin and Steph
    © ITV
    There's an attraction between Gavin and Steph

He added: "To take on board a possible attraction to one of ladies he works with is almost too much for him to comprehend but there is an initial spark, definitely.

"There is trepidation on his part because it's just something else to get tangled up in at this stage."

In earlier info they said he did'nt know anything about cocktails and pretends with the help of Steph. Yet his ex says he's really good with cocktails.

So he does have financial difficulties... Thats his secret. No doubt he will have money for the rovers but not food

6. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (19-11-2014)

Coronation Street delivered an unexpected twist at the end of Friday night's episodes (November 28) as newcomer 'Gavin Rodwell' was revealed to be an impostor.

Oliver Farnworth's character has stolen the identity of the real Gavin and has fooled Michael (Les Dennis) into believing that he is his long-lost son.

While some fans had no doubt guessed that 'Gavin' was up to no good, Corrie bosses managed to avoid any leaks of his big secret before transmission - allowing viewers to have an element of surprise while watching the episode.

Digital Spy caught up with Oliver this week to hear his reaction to the twist and learn who 'Gavin' really is…

How do you feel about this big twist involving your character?
    "It's fantastic! Coming into a soap and playing a character like this one is great, because you really hit the ground running. It piques the audience's interest from early on and there's a hell of a lot of scope for where it could go.

"I'm also finding out things myself day by day as to what's happening with my character and what's going to happen next! It really is a storyline that's going to run and run."

When you were doing your early scenes with Les Dennis, did you always know you were playing an impostor?
    "Yeah, I knew from the start that 'Gavin' was an impostor, but a lot of the details hadn't been decided upon even at that stage. I had the basic facts but that was all. That was exciting as well, though. It meant that I didn't know some of the details and that helped with the playing of those scenes, because at that point the audience knew nothing either!"

Can you tell us a bit about who your character really is?
    "His real name is Andy! Andy is a friend of the real Gavin Rodwell and they share a flat together. The real Gavin has disappeared off and we learn in future episodes that he has messed Andy around quite a bit in the past. That's in terms of relationships, girls and things like that.

"Andy has lost his job, he's got bills mounting up and he's in debt. He's in a bit of a low point in his life at the moment, so when Michael's letter came through, he quite cheekily decided to pretend to be Gavin. Andy thought that Gavin owed him one and he could make a few quid out of it - but he soon falls quickly into Weatherfield life."

Does Andy have a firm plan?
    "Absolutely not! Andy is free-wheeling and he's making it up as he goes along. He actually wants to get out of the situation pretty quickly. After a few days, he tries to get out but various things happen. He meets a girl, he's got a job and he's also quite indebted to Michael.

"There is the information about Michael's health that Andy really needs to pass on, so he's in a bit of a limbo. But there is no game plan and he's not particularly malicious or manipulative - he just falls into it."

Is it important to you that the viewers don't just see Andy as a bad guy?
    "Absolutely. I liked the idea that there was this unsavoury element to him at first, but now it's been revealed who he really is, I would like the audience to side with him because he does have lots of very good qualities. Andy really doesn't mean any harm on anyone."

Compared to Michael and Gail, Audrey and David have seemed slightly less welcoming towards 'Gavin'! Should he be wary of them?
    "I think so! At any given point, Andy's cover could be blown. With the immediate relationship he has with Michael and Gail, they don't want to see any negative side to his character at all. They've invested emotionally in him.

"As time goes on, some of the other characters will start to question things about 'Gavin'. Certain things don't add up in his stories, which makes people more cynical and sceptical. He's really got to be careful!"

Do you play any role in the Platt family's dramatic Christmas?
    "I'm there all through it, really! I'm working in the Bistro quite a lot, including on Christmas Day. 'Gavin' is there as a support figure for Michael and he's on the sidelines for Gail as well.

"Because he's not fully invested in the family, and especially not David's side of things, Andy doesn't feel that it's something he can get personally involved in. It's another tangle that he should probably stay out of!"

How did you feel about being thrown straight in with such a well-known soap family?
    "I was pretty nervous at first, but that just disappeared after ten minutes! After doing half a scene with them, I realised that everyone is fantastic at their job but really down to earth, helpful and really lovely. There's a great camaraderie there so I feel like I've fitted in really nicely."

Has your previous soap experience on Hollyoaks helped with joining Corrie?
    "Definitely. I think people have the shock of their lives when they start on a soap with the speed of it and the way things move along. It also involves doing multi-camera techniques, following instructions and still trying to make the script believable and human. My past experience helped as I definitely knew what I was getting myself into!"

Even though he's slightly dodgy, would you like Andy to have a long-term future on the cobbles?
    "Oh definitely! I really, really hope he does."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (29-11-2014), lizann (30-11-2014), swmc66 (29-11-2014)

I find it strange to think of him as Andy now. I like the name Gavin as it's my brother's name.

It sounds like he's a decent sort of chap underneath and I'm glad to hear he's not leaving the cobbles any time soon. It seems that Michael will be in for some disappointment as his real son doesn't sound very nice.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (30-11-2014)

He has impersonated someones long lost son and accepted money from him and his partner and would have taken more if their was not a heart condition involved. I know its hard to dislike the man but Michael genuinely believes he has met his son. He should own up now but looks like he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by swmc66 View Post
    He has impersonated someones long lost son and accepted money from him and his partner and would have taken more if their was not a heart condition involved. I know its hard to dislike the man but Michael genuinely believes he has met his son. He should own up now but looks like he won't.
    Ha ha...when you put it like that he does indeed sound like a nasty piece of work.

I suppose I softened to him when it became obvious he has a conscience after finding out that Michael's ill. Also, reading the above interview with the actor, it's apparent that "Gavin" only did it out of desperation and because he's been badly treated by the real Gavin. However, that doesn't excuse the fact that Michael will be devastated when he finds out he's been lied to.

Perhaps Michael will die soon without ever finding out? I kind of hope that doesn't happen though because Michael started growing on me last night.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 29-11-2014 at 19:08.

don't really care that he is a con artist or what his name just keep on the street long term

Hopefully he will give them the £200 back as soon as he can

15. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (30-11-2014)

Thread Information