Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robin Williams dies

i hope i didn't offend you dazzle

lately you hear of a parent murdering a child and themselves or nearly killing themself too and blaming mental health so getting less criminal sentence which maddens me

i have friends and relatives who suffer from mental health issues and bad depression too but if any killed or injured anyone i couldn't condone it

robin was very unwell with depression and he is a big loss to his family, friends and all his fans all over the world - rip

no one should call him a coward

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (13-08-2014)

lately you hear of a parent murdering a child and themselves or nearly killing themself too and blaming mental health so getting less criminal sentence which maddens me

i have friends and relatives who suffer from mental health issues and bad depression too but if any killed or injured anyone i couldn't condone it

robin was very unwell with depression and he is a big loss to his family, friends and all his fans all over the world - rip

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    No, you didn't offend me Lizann. You just gave me an excuse for a rant!

I would never condone violence either. My point was simply that a lot more murders etc are committed by people that don't suffer from mental illnesses, but the ones committed by sufferers are sensationalised in the media so we hear about them disproportionately.

If someone does commit violence due to genuine mental illness though, I do believe they deserve to be treated differently than psychopaths etc who kill for gain or enjoyment. That doesn't mean I think they should be let out if not completely and utterly cured though. I don't believe anyone should be walking free if they're a danger to the public.

Thank you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

lizann (14-08-2014)

Robin Williams was suffering from the early stages of Parkinson's disease at the time of his death, his wife has said.

Susan Schneider said her husband had been sober but "not yet ready to share publicly" his struggles with Parkinson's.

She added that he had also been suffering from anxiety and depression.

Taken from the BBC website.

Paul from Neighbours (who's currently suffering from depression) had a good line yesterday, something like "I feel like I'm standing on the edge and it'll only take something small to push me over". Maybe the Parkinson's diagnosis was what pushed Robin Williams over the edge? An incurable and degenerative illness like that must be very hard to come to terms with for even the most mentally healthy people.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

lizann (17-08-2014), maidmarian (15-08-2014), Perdita (15-08-2014), tammyy2j (15-08-2014)

I hope my comments about depression earlier in the thread didn't get anyone down. I was talking specifically about people who have lived with depression for many years and for whom treatment has been unsuccessful.

Depression, anxiety and many other mental illnesses successfully respond to treatment for the majority of people, who often go on to lead perfectly normal lives. I was talking about the experience of a minority of sufferers who don't respond to treatment. A member of my family had depression for a few years but has gone on to have a very successful career and life. Everybody's different.

I hope that's some reassurance for anyone who's been unnecessarily worried about these events and perhaps by my posts.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

lizann (17-08-2014)

What does this have to do with Robin Williams???

sorry it was about my previous ranty post dazzle will understand it was an example

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (25-08-2014), Perdita (25-08-2014)

Terribly sad

Although it seems she was depressed, it doesn't sound like that was the cause of the murder. She seems to have deeply resented her poor son for some reason. Many, many depressed parents bring up their kids without harming them (myself and my mother are both examples). Anger is often a huge factor in these family killings and can happen whether the parent suffers mental health problems or not.

RIP Mikaeel.

Thread Information