Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kirin Kotecha

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I am sure an actor of south Asian descent could have done a good job but there have been American thespians that have portrayed British royalties and politicians ... I guess that is all what acting is about
    I am guessing you are white so you probably would not understand how racist and offensive it is. Since when can a white actor take on a role meant for an actor of colour? Actors of colour have it hard enough since there are a paucity of film rIles for them.
    Last edited by Serena Williams; 08-06-2015 at 03:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Serena Williams View Post
    Since when can a white actor take on a role meant for an actor of colour? Actors of colour have it hard enough since there are a paucity of film rIles for them.
    I do understand the point you are making Serena
    but.to make a factual.point -it is only relatively
    recently( in historical terms) that actors of the
    correct ethnic origin have played Othello ( white
    actors eg Laurence Olivier) used to use black make-up.
    There were also variety acts Black & White
    Minstrels who did the same.

Portrayals of Jewish Characters in Shakespeare &
    Dickens would now be considered racially
    stereotyped to say the least.
    So to answer your basic question of "how long"
    the answer is - hundreds of years!. Which doesn't
    make it right.
    But many things that happened historically to
    women / children/working people are unlawful
    now. But change can take a long time.
    I dont what the acting unions attitude is to
    actors playing roles of a different ethnic origin
    to their own is**-but as you say acting jobs are
    difficult to get at the best of times.
    I hope my post has not caused you ( or anyone
    else).any offence.

** there is a term used "colour-blind casting"
    but Equty prefer the term "non- traditional casting"
    and there is a long list of actors playing roles that
    are different to their ethnicity on wikipaedia.
    There was criticism of BBc last year for using
    white actor to.play black role.
    So a complex subject

Alsi teenage boys used to play the female roles!
    Last edited by maidmarian; 08-06-2015 at 08:00. Reason: more info

3. The Following User Says Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Perdita (08-06-2015)

Dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 08-06-2015 at 07:17.

anyone else think he fancies priya

I agree with you that they should have used an Asian actor for the part.

However I would question to what extent Adam Fielding can really be said to be white. From what I understand he is of Irish and Italian ethnicity and this does indeed get him the official classification of 'white'. Does he really read as 'white' though? I would say this is a matter of perception, but he doesn't securely read as white by any means. His claim to whiteness is based on his heritage more than his appearance, which is ambiguous to say the least. Hence being chosen to play an Asian role, he can pass. Probably a lot more easily than playing some English toff in a period drama. As such his appearance will surely limit his own access to roles in a Northern European country.

That being said, he will still be more easily cast in mainstream roles than most actors from a racial minority and so should not have been given a part playing a South Asian, which could easily have been filled by an actual South Asian actor.
    Last edited by Daffodillie; 08-12-2015 at 21:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffodillie View Post
    I agree with you that they should have used an Asian actor for the part.

However I would question to what extent Adam Fielding can really be said to be white. From what I understand he is of Irish and Italian ethnicity and this does indeed get him the official classification of 'white'. Does he really read as 'white' though? I would say this is a matter of perception, but he doesn't securely read as white by any means. His claim to whiteness is based on his heritage more than his appearance, which is ambiguous to say the least. Hence being chosen to play an Asian role, he can pass. Probably a lot more easily than playing some English toff in a period drama. As such his appearance will surely limit his own access to roles in a Northern European country.

That being said, he will still be more easily cast in mainstream roles than most actors from a racial minority and so should not have been given a part playing a South Asian, which could easily have been filled by an actual South Asian actor.
    I agree the Back and White Minstrels would be totally wrong, but Alex fills the part? looks like Rakesh's son so given that you admit his appearance would limit his own access to roles, why should not have been cast here?

Well maybe it shouldn't then if we just see him as a somewhat racially marked actor. I think two points, one that as I stated he is officially classified as white and this factor will probably affect casting decisions. If casting agents know his heritage they are more likely to perceive him as 'white' compared to a similar looking actor they know to be of Asian origin, and so cast him in more mainstream roles. Two, there is already a trend to cast Asian roles with 'Asian' actors who are relatively very light skinned and European looking. I say 'Asian' because many of these actors are actually part Asian/part European. Obviously some Asians do look like this, hence Adam Fielding being able to get the part. But the majority of South Asians are darker and less European looking. So with that in mind there should be more Asian actors who are darker and less European looking in general being cast in roles. In that sense an actor of Italian/Irish origin doesn't help at all but neither does light skinned European-ish looking Asian actors being overrepresented help much either.

the guy who plays Kirin is definitely part Asian if I had to guess his mother is probably Asian or part South Asian heritage. I know his name is Adam Fielding but he looks like Zayn Malik. Malik father is South Asian but his mother is white and that is why Zayn is so light skinned. Adam Fielding father is probably white if I had to guess but his mother is probably a woman of colour. I think it is wrong to cast too many light skinned characters to play South Asians. The lady who plays Pryia isn't even South Asian she is Fillipino and half white. I just find it odd and bizarre that mixed race people are being cast as though they are South Asians. It means less roles for people who really are full South Asian heritage. This is why I give Eastenders a lot of credit for having a South Asian Muslim family with dark skinned actors who are really South Asian. I also commend Eastenders for having a black family who really is black and not mixed race light skinned people. Sometmes casting departments always cast light skinned mixed race people and pass them off as being authentic when they are not. At least Emmerdale has Rakesh, Rishi, and I believe the guy who plays Nikhil and Jai are really South Asian and not mixed race.
    Last edited by Serena Williams; 09-12-2015 at 00:17.

I'm a bit confused as in earlier posts you stated a white actor should not be playing a South Asian role but now you are saying he is actually of partial South Asian descent. I agree he looks mixed South Asian/European, although I can only find reference to him being of Italian/Irish heritage. He does indeed look similar to Zayn Malik though. As I alluded to above 'whiteness' is merely a social construct, an Italian actor of Fielding's appearance is still officially 'white', while Zayn Malik isn't. Some one who is half South Asian/half European but looks totally European can pass socially as white, be treated as such and therefore to all and intents and purposes be white until possibly they start telling every one about their origins and/or people know Asian appearing members of their family. But some one of the same heritage who looks more obviously Asian will not be classified as white. So if Fielding is actually of partial Asian heritage and also looks fairly Asian then he is surely not 'white'. As such he isn't a white actor taking a role from an actor of colour, as he would definitely be classified as a person of colour himself. However I do agree it is problematic that roles designated as being for South Asians tend to go to light-skinned, relatively European looking actors.

I had no idea the actress who plays Priya is not of South Asian origin by the way.
    Last edited by Daffodillie; 09-12-2015 at 01:43.

I'm a bit confused as in earlier posts you stated a white actor should not be playing a South Asian role but now you are saying he is actually of partial South Asian descent. I agree he looks mixed South Asian/European, although I can only find reference to him being of Italian/Irish heritage. He does indeed look similar to Zayn Malik though. As I alluded to above 'whiteness' is merely a social construct, an Italian actor of Fielding's appearance is still officially 'white', while Zayn Malik isn't. Some one who is half South Asian/half European but looks totally European can pass socially as white, be treated as such and therefore to all and intents and purposes be white until possibly they start telling every one about their origins and/or people know more Asian appearing members of their family. But some one of the same heritage who looks more obviously Asian will not be classified as white. So if Fielding is actually of partial Asian heritage and also looks fairly Asian then he is surely not 'white'. As such he isn't a white actor taking a role from an actor of colour, as he would definitely be classified as a person of colour himself. However I do agree it is problematic that roles designated as being for South Asians tend to go to light-skinned, relatively European looking actors.

I had no idea the actress who plays Priya is not of South Asian origin by the way.
    Last edited by Daffodillie; 09-12-2015 at 01:42.

Thread Information