Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rakesh (Pasha Bocarie)

Glad to hear this. I know he's a bit of a villain right now but I quite enjoyed how the Who's The Daddy? plot played out. It's different to the predictable the one night stand is always the father.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

KiwiElle (15-06-2015), maidmarian (14-06-2015), Perdita (14-06-2015), tammyy2j (14-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Glad to hear this. I know he's a bit of a villain right now but I quite enjoyed how the Who's The Daddy? plot played out. It's different to the predictable the one night stand is always the father.
    I like him but think Jai is a bigger prat and villain than him, he is at least trying to protect Kirin but has done so in the completely wrong way

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

KiwiElle (15-06-2015), maidmarian (14-06-2015)

Wow - ​Emmerdale may just have found its new Public Enemy Number One. And let's face it: in a village which already features ruthless Robert Sugden and violent criminal Ross Barton, that's really saying something.

And yet unlikely bad boy Rakesh Kotecha will continue to face a furious backlash next week, after he confessed to tampering with baby Johnny's DNA results. But can his livid son Kirin ever forgive him? Read on to find out as Pasha Bocarie, who plays Rakesh, spills some gossip on where things are heading next.

So the truth is out! Were you excited to film these episodes after such a long wait?

"I was! There was a lot of anticipation from our end to film these scenes. We wanted to make sure it was handled well - and it has been. The audience will be taken on a journey with some surprises and they'll be able to relate to a lot of the storyline.

"It's well written and we explore the relationship between father and son, as well as the possibility of redemption. Hopefully the viewers will enjoy it."

How will this affect the relationship between Rakesh and Kirin?

"Well, there's definitely a lot going on in Kirin's head. He's feeling anger, confusion and hurt. You'll see a combination of those sorts of reactions between father and son, which creates the drama and drives the story forward. It's very hard for Kirin to get his head around what his dad has done to him."

Can they ever come back from this?

"Who knows? Sometimes you can go without talking to somebody for a while, but then it takes just one incident to bring you together. On paper, you would say that Kirin probably wouldn't speak to Rakesh again. But sometimes circumstances throw you together and force you to reconcile."

Kirin has already punched Rakesh, and Adam is next in the queue on Monday. Was that scene fun to film?

"Those sorts of scenes are always fun to film because they're quite challenging. Obviously it's not much fun if you're being punched - it's probably more fun if you're the guy who's doing the beating up! We were filming out in the village and it was quite a challenging day, but it all added to the drama. As much I love dialogue, I'm an action type of person so I love that kind of stuff."

Is Rakesh surprised when Priya walks out on him next week? She's been in on the DNA secret for ages, after all...

"Rakesh has taken it for granted that Priya is going to stand by him. He did act on pressure from Priya when he came clean with Kirin, so he's very surprised at her reaction because she's the one who forced him to come out with this in the first place! He's going to be very shocked and disappointed that she's not there for him anymore."

Do you hope they can find a way to make it work?

"I hope so, because they work well together. I don't think the relationship between Priya and Rakesh is ever stale, as there's always something or the other going on. I think the audience will enjoy it if it stays fresh and interesting to watch."

Be honest - does Rakesh feel any remorse? Or is he just annoyed to have been caught out?

"He does feel remorse. Rakesh might have unscrupulous ways of going about things, but he does act from a good place in general. He was doing this to protect his son and there have been occasions in the past where he's tried to help people.

"Rakesh is also willing to take the repercussions. To some extent the audience will find closure and they'll see how he deals with it now. It's very important that the audience accepts the way he's dealt with the consequences of his actions."

We often hear about soap baddies being confronted by viewers in the supermarket. Have you ever had any stick over Rakesh's antics?

"Yeah! But do you know what? Rakesh is still popular. People come up to me and say, 'I love your character. You're very naughty. Why did you do that to your son? When are you going to tell him?' I get that, but I don't get abuse!

"The viewers do genuinely enjoy watching Rakesh. I also think he is redeemable at this stage. I haven't crossed that line where I'm just an all-and-out villain. That's what makes him interesting - that he has got different shades to him."

Do you ever get any input into the character's development?

"They're open to ideas, but I personally haven't made any suggestions so far. I would like to see Rakesh maybe face adversity and see what colours come out during that. A darker side being explored would be interesting. It's always nice to see someone lose it all, but then build it up again. If it means him completely turning to the dark side, so be it."

The fans have often picked up on Rakesh's connection with Chrissie Sugden. Would you like that to be explored more?

"I think so, because there was a good reaction from the fans when we had scenes together. They definitely want to see more of that. Fiona Wade [who plays Priya], Louise Marwood [who plays Chrissie] and I all work well together, so I think there's scope there definitely."

There were a lot of news stories late last year about lack of diversity in TV. Do you think the industry still has a way to go?

"I think it's moving in the right direction. The fact that people are starting to tackle it and talk about it is a very good thing. The characters that ITV have created on Emmerdale are very progressive and done really well."

Is it easier to land a role now than it was 10 years ago?

"It's not about landing 'a role' in particular - it's about landing the right role where you can say something meaningful and play a leading character. For me, utopia is when I bypass my ethnicity - when I just play a character and people are just interested in that character regardless of anything else. To some degree I have that with Rakesh, and I think it's the way forward. Hopefully there'll be more of that."

Digital Spy

VERY surprised the Emmerdale writiers are IGNORING RACE in this storyline, it is clear to me Raklesh is ashamed his son had a baby with an older WHITE WOMAN. I think the Emmerdale writers need to stiop ignoring race. I have heard in South Asian cultures interracial romance is FROWNED UPON and absolutely NOT ACCEPTED. Which is why, I find the interracial babies, and the relationships surprising without the discussion of RACE. I remember watching a documentary where a South Asian woman married a white man in Canada and her family disowned her. So I think the writers ignoring RACE in this storyline is wrong. Why can' t the writers be honest. Rakesh is deeply disappointed his son has a mixed race baby. I think ignoring race is ignoring reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Serena Williams View Post
    VERY surprised the Emmerdale writiers are IGNORING RACE in this storyline, it is clear to me Raklesh is ashamed his son had a baby with an older WHITE WOMAN. I think the Emmerdale writers need to stiop ignoring race. I have heard in South Asian cultures interracial romance is FROWNED UPON and absolutely NOT ACCEPTED. Which is why, I find the interracial babies, and the relationships surprising without the discussion of RACE. I remember watching a documentary where a South Asian woman married a white man in Canada and her family disowned her. So I think the writers ignoring RACE in this storyline is wrong. Why can' t the writers be honest. Rakesh is deeply disappointed his son has a mixed race baby. I think ignoring race is ignoring reality.

but why would Rakesh disapprove of Kirin having a
    baby with a White Woman when he (.Rakesh) has
    married a mixed Race White Woman

Priyas mother Georgia is White and her Father
    South Asian so.all three children Jai Nikil & Priya
    are the same racial mix as Kirin/ Vanessa s child.
    Nikil also had a child with Gennie??!!

Ps- Emmerdale is set in.Uk- perhaps there is a
    more tolerant attitude!!?
    Last edited by maidmarian; 10-01-2016 at 02:55.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

deeCee (10-01-2016), JessicaMad (10-01-2016), TaintedLove (10-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post

I don`t think Rakesh and Princess Priyah are married are they? If they are I must have glazed over scenes of their wedding. Which usually happens when Priyah is in a scene.
    What about Kirin`s Mother? what race was she? I don`t know too much about that family anyway. Is Rakesh a widower or separated from Kirins Mother? And was Rakesh as controlling with Kirins Mother as he is with Kirin?
    I`ve always found Rakesh to be a massive hypocrite anyway. He really deserved that punch in Fridays episode. I just wish Kirin had hit him harder.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TaintedLove For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (10-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
    I don`t think Rakesh and Princess Priyah are married are they? If they are I must have glazed over scenes of their wedding. Which usually happens when Priyah is in a scene.
    What about Kirin`s Mother? what race was she? I don`t know too much about that family anyway. Is Rakesh a widower or separated from Kirins Mother? And was Rakesh as controlling with Kirins Mother as he is with Kirin?
    I`ve always found Rakesh to be a massive hypocrite anyway. He really deserved that punch in Fridays episode. I just wish Kirin had hit him harder.
    Ive checked Wiki and no mention of Kirins mother
    is made. I think I was assuming Rakesh was
    married to Priya for similar reasons to youself.

But he is certainly an hypocrite with double
    standards. Perhaps the fact the Sharmas have
    money outweigh any "shame"?"

I live in a city in UK and there are quite a lot
    of "mixed marriages" inc some work colleagues.
    Ive not heard of anyone being "disowned" but
    of course it may happen sometime!
    I dont think anyone as strict - as in Serenas example
    would be mixing as Rakesh does?

Thanks for pointing out the errors in this
    fictional scenario
    Last edited by maidmarian; 10-01-2016 at 04:02.

I got a question, did the show ever say Kirin mother is white? I am guessing Kirin is supposed to be mixed race because he is light skinned. But I heard in India some Indians really are just very fair skinned especially if they are from Northern India. Also, parents are hypocritical all the time, remember when Rakesh said he had to give up his dreams because Kirin was born. It seemed to me he was ashamed of himself and he wanted BETTER for his son. And perhaps in Rakesh eyes having a baby for an older white woman at age 18 is not considered a good thing in South Asian culture. This is where the Emmerdale writers need to improve you got a South Asian family on the show stop pretending they are NOT South Asian and stop ignoring their culture.

Ive checked Wiki and no mention of Kirins mother
    is made. I think I was assuming Rakesh was
    married to Priya for similar reasons to youself.

But he is certainly an hypocrite with double
    standards. Perhaps the fact the Sharmas have
    money outweigh any "shame"?"
    I live in a city in UK and there are quite a lot
    of "mixed marriages" inc some work colleagues.
    Ive not heard of anyone being "disowned" but
    of course it may happen sometime!
    I dont think anyone as strict - as in Serenas example
    would be mixing as Rakesh does?

Thanks for pointing out the errors in this
    fictional scenario
    Of course Rakesh is a hypocrite but the issue of "shame" and family honour is huge in South Asian culture. I am not sure if you heard of honour killings? Where a South Asian family will have a family member usually a female killed off because she did something that "shamed" the family. The Emmerdale writers seem to be suggesting Rafesh feels ashamed of Kirin for having a mixed baby. It would be NICE if the show went there but Emmerdale tends not to have serious discussions about race unlike say EastEnders. But in the South Asian culture, family honour is a big deal and extremely important. I just hope Kirin and Rakesh have a discussion more about honouring the family ect. South Asian culture is different than white British culture.

According to Wiki, Rakesh was married to Sana Kotecha, who died in a car crash. The name sounds Asian to me. Priya got cold feet before the wedding but agreed to get back with Rakesh after a short while and to start courting properly rather than going through the arranged marriage. I donĀ“t think that there is any sexism going on, Rakesh did not want Kirin to be the father of a baby because at 18 he thinks his son is too young to cope with parenthood, nothing to do with the mother of the baby being white and older
    Last edited by Perdita; 10-01-2016 at 05:57.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (10-01-2016)

Thread Information