Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Sean Tully (Antony Cotton)

After Antony Cotton teased that his Coronation Street character Sean Tully's new story will be "poignant and serious", we've got a first look at Sean's upcoming struggles.

Pictured below is Cotton's character, who appears to be sleeping rough, living in a tent with a homeless woman.

Sean Tully is sleeping rough in Coronation Street filming pictures
    © MCPIX/MARK CAMPBELL

It's also revealed that Sean is attacked in a public toilet by two thugs, which certainly is a "very different" arc for his long-standing character.

Previously, Cotton said: "I've just begun the first part of a storyline that's going to run for quite a while over the summer.

Sean Tully is sleeping rough in Coronation Street filming pictures
    © MCPIX/MARK CAMPBELL

"It is a very unusual storyline, very serious and not what people would expect from Sean. It will come good, but it's a very poignant and serious story.

"It's not what I expected and I was taken aback when I heard what it was," he added. "But it is a subject that's very close to my heart and I will reveal all in time."

He continued: "I'm doing the beginnings at the moment. It's very, very new and very different."

Cotton has signed another year-long contract to stay on the ITV soap.

Digital Spy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (23-05-2018)

I liked Sean with Tyrone living on their own without Fiz why does Fiz kick him out?

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I liked Sean with Tyrone living on their own without Fiz why does Fiz kick him out?
    He is too good a mother to the girls and clean and better cook than she is ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Southcoastsoap (16-08-2018)

In an uninterrupted one hour special next Friday, Corrie starts to sow the seeds ready for Sean’s devastating storyline to air in a few weeks..

Coronation Street sows the seeds for Sean Tully's dark new storyline next week, as Fiz Stape tells him to find a new place to live.

Corrie paparazzi pictures taken on location have recently revealed that Sean (Antony Cotton) will end up homeless in an upcoming plot.

Next week, we'll see the first hints of the storyline when Sean realises that he's no longer welcome at Number 9.

Fiz (Jennie McAlpine) makes the decision when she realises that it's time to reunite with her estranged partner Tyrone Dobbs, giving their kids Hope and Ruby a more stable home life again.

The turning point comes when Fiz discovers that troublesome Hope has conned her and Tyrone (Alan Halsall) into both buying her new pairs of trainers.

Fiz receives a call from the school, telling her that Hope has been caught selling trainers for cash in a sneaky money-making plan.

Finally uniting after weeks of bickering, Fiz and Tyrone confront Hope and tackle her bad behaviour together.

Grateful for Tyrone's support, Fiz then tells Sean that she needs him to find somewhere else to live, as she now wants to make a go of things with Tyrone.

The timing couldn't be any worse for Sean, as he's already showing signs that he's struggling to make ends meet at the moment.

When Sean heads out on a date with Fiz's friend Kim Vaughan (Tom Shaw) at the Bistro, he panics when Kim suggests splitting the bill – knowing he can't afford to pay up.

Kim overhears a sheepish Sean discussing his financial woes with Michelle, explaining why he can't pay. But will Sean admit this to Fiz, who wants him out?

Coronation Street is lining up another dark twist in Sean Tully's homeless story when his friend Carol is brutally attacked.

Sean (Antony Cotton) is about to take centre stage in a harrowing new plot when he ends up living on the streets, having recently been asked to move out of Fiz Stape's house.

Sean and Carol in Coronation Street
    © MCPIX/MARK CAMPBELL

Paparazzi pictures have already shown Sean sleeping rough in a tent and being beaten up in a public toilet, but sadly, his ordeal is about to take another dark turn.

Having formed a strong bond with newcomer Carol, who is also homeless, Sean will desperately try to persuade her against prostitution.

After failing to stop Carol from getting into a punter's car, Sean is horrified when she later turns up covered in blood and collapses into his arms.

Sean and Carol in Coronation Street
    © MCPIX/MARK CAMPBELL

Sean then faces a race against time to get Carol the help she needs, but will she be alright? Or is it too late?

Fans will have to wait and see if Carol manages to pull through, but thankfully, it looks like Sean's ex-boyfriend Billy Mayhew will be on hand to support him.

Billy will turn up amid Sean's nightmare with Carol and offer him a shoulder to cry on, but can Sean be persuaded to go back to Weatherfield?

Digital Spy

what happened to the homeless shelter or was it soup kitchen that sophie volunteered at? surely one of sean's many mates could take him in

Coronation Street kicks off Sean Tully's homelessness storyline next week, as he starts sleeping rough after being kicked out by his friend Fiz Stape.

Fiz has been dropping hints to Sean for weeks that he needs to leave her house, but when he fails to come clean about how he has nowhere else to go, he ends up stealing a tent from a bin and using it to sleep in a car park.

Here, Antony Cotton – who plays Sean – speaks fully about the storyline for the first time and reveals the eye-opening real-life story about his own recent personal connection to homelessness.

How have Sean's troubles started?

"Fiz has told Sean that she wants him to move out. Ordinarily that wouldn't have been a problem, but he then loses all of his employment. Had he been at Eileen's, that wouldn't have been a problem, because he would have just carried on until he got the next job. But because it coincides with moving out of Fiz and Tyrone's, that's why it all goes wrong.

"Sean just pretends that everything is alright. Once he tells one lie about that, he has to continue it and it all just goes wrong, so it's pride."

Is there anyone Sean could have turned to?

"Sean thinks there are so many people, but every avenue seems to be a dead end. So he just shrugs his shoulders and goes: 'Well there's not much I can do now'. He thinks it's temporary. He thinks it's probably for one night or just 12 hours. But then it's not."

How long does the storyline go on for?

"From start to finish, it's probably three months. There's the lead-up to it with Sean's job loss, then him being homeless and him finally having salvation. You'll see that he ends up in a homeless village and he befriends a character called Carol.

"They ask each other about their stories and the eye-opener for Sean is that Carol says she's been homeless on and off for nearly four years. He's brought into the homeless community, because Carol says that it's safety in numbers after Sean has been mugged."

How will the rest of the Street react when they find out what's happened to Sean?

"We haven't filmed those scenes yet. I've purposely not looked ahead in the scripts, so I don't know what people will say. I would imagine that they'll all be shocked. But Sean is unique in that he doesn't have a single enemy on the Street. While some characters wouldn't make their neighbours feel sympathetic towards them, it's not like that with Sean.

"I think people will feel guilty that they didn't realise and didn't help. Unlike Tracy Barlow, for instance. I can't imagine many people would feel they should take her in!

"I think everyone will be disappointed that they hadn't noticed, especially after what happened with Aidan. It does go very badly wrong, but it could have been even worse."

Do you think this experience will change Sean's character?

"Yes, I suppose. It will be interesting to see what they write for him. Long term and down the line, who knows what will happen or what will be said? Maybe Sean won't be so flippant, having gone through this experience. Maybe he won't be so shallow in judging people on how they look, and maybe he'll think more before he speaks.

"It'll be interesting to see how it maps out and it'll be interesting to see who doesn't care, although I don't think there will be many of those people."

Can you tell us about the research you did for this storyline?

"When I was doing Dancing on Ice at the beginning of the year, I randomly got a message on Facebook Messenger from a lad that I'd met a couple of times socially, but literally only a couple of times.

"It just said: 'Can you help me? I've got nowhere else to turn to, I'm homeless'. I wondered what could possibly have got him into that position, because when I knew him he had a missus, two kids, an Audi on the drive, and he was self-employed. I promised that I'd help him if I could.

"I got in touch with a charity in Manchester called Barnabus and explained the situation. I said that someone needed to go and pick him up, but he was in Fleetwood. He was living in a tent in a stairwell in a council block. They said that picking him up wasn't a service they could provide, and they couldn't come with me if I picked him up either.

"I said that I'd have to go on my own, but they said: 'You can do whatever you want, but we would advise you not to do that because you don't know what you're going to be presented with'."

What happened next?

"I got back in touch with him and explained that if he could get to Manchester, I'd help him. He did, so I rang the Travelodge in the Northern Quarter and I booked him in for the Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I got him to meet me there but I internally burst out crying because he was about eight stone. When I'd known him previously, he was massive, he was a unit.

"This was when I was in the middle of Dancing on Ice. So I may have appeared quite grumpy on Dancing on Ice occasionally, but I wanted to say: 'You don't know the f**king half of what I'm going through right now!'"

How easy was it to help him?

"When you are homeless, you are ghosted. If you've not got an address, you have no right to benefits and you can't get any money. The moment you have no address, you have nothing. Which is why there are so many homeless people. Luckily we had the freak weather at the time and the Severe Weather Programme was in force, where every council in Great Britain is not allowed to refuse anybody shelter.

"In the middle of the SWEP programme, they took him in and he stayed there for a week. From there, we met an amazing organisation called Homes for Hope. We got him into a private house with an address. Once he had the address, he was able to unlock the social benefits and he got an emergency payment.

"But I realised very early on, that in one day just to go to these places, and he had to go every day, it was 12 miles walk every single day, in that freezing weather. Well, it's no wonder people give up because I don't think anybody would want to walk for 12 hours a day to go and beg for somebody to help them. Fortunately, because I was in my car, we shot between the places and we got everything in place.

"Because I've got a big gob, I was able to knock on doors and I'd say: 'I'm not leaving here until we're sorted. I don't give a s**t whether somebody's got an appointment'. He's always said he's lucky it was me, because I am that gobby idiot. It broke my heart thinking of all the people that don't have anybody to either physically lift them up, take them to places or emotionally support them."

How's he doing now?

"He now has employment with a company called Boland, which is a construction company. That was via Barnabus. They had got a contact with a very socially aware building company, who wanted to give back."

When did you become aware that Sean would be going through a similar experience?

"It was purely coincidental. I'd kept what was going on a secret, because it's a very private thing. But I rang work up and said: 'Oh, there's a really odd line about Sean lying about his job'. And they said: 'Well he's going to be homeless. He's going to be living in a tent'.

"If somebody had said that to me without me going through this, I would have said: 'That just doesn't happen. Sean would not be in that position'. But it turns out that it's absolutely true. And very spookily, it was an identical story.

"So much so that I then had to go back to the charity, Barnabus, and say: 'I've got something to tell you now, and I don't want you to think that I've come in here for some weird research and that I've picked up this homeless person online just to help research it!'

"I then put work research in touch with them. Shelter is a brilliant national organisation that everybody knows, but within each town and city there are individual charities. Barnabus is specific to Manchester and it's a volunteer-led organisation."

Are you hoping the storyline will be eye-opening for viewers?

"What's been a real joy is sometimes shows will do issue-based storylines and you can tell it's purely for the end to drive traffic to a website. Sometimes you see those stories played out and something doesn't ring true about it. But what I've loved about this is it's all true.

"My friend had nothing, but he was always clean. He always found somewhere to wash his stuff. You might be dirty from a couple of nights, but in the version I'm playing, Sean looks relatively clean, so people don't know. He does get his job back at The Rovers, but he's not got anywhere to live.

"For me there's a real truth in it. It's a character-based storyline, which we all know Coronation Street does better than anybody else. Sean is not homeless because of another issue. He ends up this way because of his pride. He doesn't become somebody who's filthy with a cap in hand. It's a real process. He has to think about when he starts begging. He doesn't just do it.

"Through the story, he's still Sean. The one thing I hope that people take from it is that thought of 'God – that could happen to anyone.'"

Digital Spy

can he not claim benefits or is no one in soaps ever allowed?

When he had tears in his eyes, I nearly cried with him ... glad that this storyline is coming to an end soon.

Same here . I just past my local cinema and at the back of it were 3 neatly placed cushions that were obviously someone’s bed for the night. I felt grateful i had a roof over my head. So sad.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Perdita (17-08-2018)

Thread Information