Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarah Harding to guest in Corrie

Exclamation Sarah Harding to guest in Corrie

Coronation Street bosses have announced that Sarah Harding is joining the soap's cast in a guest role.

The actress and former Girls Aloud singer will be appearing in four episodes of the ITV show in the summer.

Sarah Harding arriving at RTE Studios
    © WENN
    Sarah Harding

While full details of Harding's storylines and character have yet to be revealed, she will be playing a "feisty troublemaker" who will make life difficult for established regular Tracy Barlow.

Speaking of her new role, Harding commented: "I am extremely excited to be joining Coronation Street. As a fan of the show it is a huge honour for me to join the cast. I can't wait to get started!"

Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn added: "Sarah is proving to be a gifted and exciting actor and I'm absolutely delighted to have her on board. The viewers are in for a treat as her character will be right at the heart of a massive new story for the Barlows."

Although best known for her pop career, Harding already has a number of previous acting credits to her name, including roles in films Bad Day, Run for Your Wife and St Trinians 2: The Legend of Fritton's Gold.

Harding will start filming at Coronation Street in May. Although some fans have greeted the timing of the casting announcement with scepticism, show chiefs have assured viewers that the news is not an April Fool.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (01-04-2015), tammyy2j (01-04-2015)

Is she the new recast Amy

Coronation street is starting to get too many known people . Now i realise who she is!

Sarah Harding is "terrified" about appearing In Coronation Street this summer.

Last month, Coronation Street bosses announced that Sarah Harding would appear in four episodes of the ITV soap.

Empire Awards: Sarah Harding
    © Getty Images

In an interview with The Sun, the former Girls Aloud singer said: I'm really terrified because people have made such a big deal about it.

"It's been a while since I've acted and Corrie is such a big deal. It's made me more nervous."

Harding will play an unnamed nemesis of Tracy Barlow in the ITV soap and recently admitted she didn't have to audition for the role.

"It definitely feels an exciting time. I'm a huge Corrie fan. I'd love it if my character could pop in and out for years."

The 33-year-old added: "The level of secrecy has been totally insane. I have to really watch what I say. My mum reads all those soap magazines and is always telling me, 'This is going to happen'. I've told her a few things but not everything."

The former Girls Aloud singer will appear in the soap this summer.

Maybe she can befriend Michelle and they can start a Girl Group, hope she can act, if she didn't audition for the role, no wonder there is such naff acting in Corra

Sarah Harding has fitted in so well on the cobbles that Coronation Street bosses have already invited her back for a second stint – before her first episodes have even finished filming.

The Girls Aloud star was recently cast in the ITV soap for a short run as Joanie, the wife of Tracy Barlow’s (Kate Ford) ex Robert Preston (Tristan Gemmill).

But when Robert arrives in Weatherfield obviously still very much in love with his former wife, fiery Joanie is not about to let her husband go without a fight – and it seems like the storyline could be ongoing as Sarah has been signed up to film further episodes later in the year.

She told The Sun: “It turns out they’ve given me more episodes to film. But I don’t know about doing it full-time. You only get about seven days to learn your lines. Sometimes you have to learn on the spot.

“It’s not like when I’ve done films and you learn the script well in advance. I’m nervous because people are going to expect high standards.”

The singer added that it was a lot to deal with but a job she loved: “It’s hard work in soapland. But everyone is so friendly. I just love it there. Also my family are from up there, and I get to see my friends, too.”

Sarah Harding Interview

How did you get the role of Coronation Street?

I was here last year doing a film with Good Morning Britain and everyone saw that I was a really big fan of the show, I was running around getting my photo taken on set. I asked them if they ever did cameo appearances and they knew I had done some acting. That was how it started and the producer Stuart Blackburn got in touch and we had a meeting and he said there was maybe a role for a guest appearance and a good few months later here I am!

Did you have to keep it quiet for a while?

I did yes, I only told my mum and my fella and swore them to secrecy. I was bursting to speak about it as I was so honoured to have a part in this programme so it was hard keeping it quiet. I was a bit overwhelmed with it but so excited at the same time. There is so much pressure too.

What sort of response did you have from your fans on Twitter?

They are so excited but I just hope I can do the Coronation Street fans justice as well. I want to be able to switch over and please those fans and not just my own fans.

It is a guest role at the moment but would you be interested in making it something more permanent?

It’s not just about whether I would like to, it depends on whether the storyline would work for Joni to return and also my schedule as I am very busy with my music now across the summer. Obviously I would love to come back and do some more bits and bobs but we will have to wait and see, it isn’t something that could happen in the near future.

In your short time on the show do you get to have slanging matches with Tracy?

Hahaha yes I did on the first day! I was filming with Kate who is the complete opposite of her character and also Lisa George and Tristan, it was very nerve wracking. It was a long day and there was a lot to learn, I had to give her a good slap. It was all choreographed to look nasty but I didn’t actually touch her!

Is it a shock for Joni that Robert has come back to Weatherfield to find Tracy?

Yes it is a bit of a shock but she knows deep down he hasn’t ever got over Tracy. Joni has moved up with him to his restaurant but obviously he is still holding a torch for Tracy so I play a woman on the edge! She is very vulnerable at the same time, she does come across as very angry and feisty but she is also hurting people have to remember that. If you catch your husband having an affair you would be wouldn’t you!

What has their marriage been like, has she been aware of him holding a torch for Tracy?

In the scenes she does say to him that she is not surprised because of the way he goes on about Tracy. She is aware she is not living up to his ex wife’s memory. Then she meets her and she is less than impressed. She knows she is in someone else’s shadow, she is living a lie and trying to believe that he will fall in love with her. But once he meets up with Tracy again it is evident that isn’t going to happen.

What does she do for a living?

They own the restaurant together, she is front of house. She is the face of the restaurant.

Does she give him an ultimatum?

She doesn’t want to play second fiddle, he clearly goes for a certain type of woman and having Tracy and Joni in the same room there are bound to be fireworks. It’s a natural reaction if you literally catch your husband with someone else.

Tell us about your first scene on the cobbles

I have been back and forth across a few weeks doing different scenes for the four episodes I am in. My first scene on the cobbles was with Malcolm Hebdon who plays Norris so that was fun. Joni is trying to bang down Tracy’s door and poor Norris gets in the firing line.

Do you feel comfortable with acting, you have done a few different things now?

Corrie is the sort of place that you are always learning, it is very fast paced there are a lot of people making this show. With films you have lots of read throughs and run throughs, it is very different with soaps so for me it has been a learning curve and it hasn’t been easy but I am so glad I have done it as it has been a massive honour too because it is one of my favourite soaps. it has been nerve wracking at times definitely!

Is music still very much your first love?

It is pretty equal at the moment between acting and singing, they are side by side. I love my music but I love to think I have other options and paths available to me. I did train in acting when I was younger which a lot of people don’t know and for me it is nice to have another option, it mixes things up a little bit and keeps it interesting. These days it is good to be a bit of an all rounder.

How did the other girls from the band react to the news you had the part?

They have been great, they tweeted me, they are really pleased for me. I caught up with Cheryl and Kimberley a few weeks ago but we are all so busy it is impossible to get us all in the same room together I was supposed to meet up with them all a few weeks ago, I had arranged that meeting but in the end i couldn’t go as I had to work!

Are you still super healthy, do you live a healthy lifestyle?

I am on the go all the time working and Iive outside of London these days, I have got five animals , I live the country life, I have a veggie patch and I have been growing my own beetroots! I live in Buckinghamshire.

Are the happiest you have been?

I am definitely more content, I am very far removed from London, I am quite far out of the loop on most things. I am trying to get my head round social media. It is quite nice to be away from all that though. It is better for the mind sometimes. When I am really busy I love to get away to the peace. I love listening to the owls at night - I am like an old woman these days!

Are you prepared for the reaction when your Corrie episodes air?

I know it is going to be a mixed reaction because people are going to be expecting high standards. As long as I am prepared for that i will be ok. Stuart was saying that for myself and Shayne we are probably going to be under a lot of criticism and scrutiny so you just have to be prepared for that, it is one of the nation’s most loved soaps and it has been a massive honour to be on it I just hope I have done it justice. I look on the positive side, I have done something I love doing and have had a blast doing it.

Are you planning anything special for your first episode?

I haven’t really had time to think about it. I am my own worst enemy, my own worst critic I am the same with the music. I will probably just watch my Corrie episodes with my mum she is my biggest fan.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

I think she will be good

She was brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by swmc66 View Post
    She was brilliant
    How on earth did we perceive her so differently? I thought she was awful! I hope it's only a short guest stint.

Edited to add: I've just noticed she said in post #4 above that she was terrified about appearing in Corrie, so hopefully she'll improve once she's got over her nerves.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 24-07-2015 at 02:23.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

mariba (24-07-2015)

Thread Information