Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yasmeen and Zeedan Nazir

Exclamation Yasmeen and Zeedan Nazir

Coronation Street bosses have cast two more members of Kal Nazir's family.

Shelley King has landed the role of Kal's mother Yasmeen, while Shameless actor Qasim Akhtar has signed up to play the gym owner's teenage son Zeedan.

Shelley King
    Shelley King

Both new arrivals will make their first appearances in the summer, completing the Nazir clan.

Kal, played by Jimi Mistry, joined the cast of Coronation Street late last year and show chiefs later announced their plans to bring in his family.

Marc Anwar is already appearing on screen as Kal's father Sharif, while actress Sair Khan will arrive in Weatherfield next month as Kal's daughter Alya.

Upcoming storylines will see Kal juggling the demands of his extended family, who have been tipped to cause him problems as he tries to settle down with love interest Leanne Tilsley (Jane Danson).

Qasim Akhtar
    Qasim Akhtar

King's previous credits include roles in the TV series Tandoori Nights, West End musical Bombay Dreams and various theatre productions.

Akhtar played Chesney Karib in Shameless between 2007 and 2013.

akhtar looks interesting

3. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Perdita (12-08-2014)

Coronation Street's new recruit Qasim Akhtar makes his first appearance on the soap next week as he takes on the role of Zeedan Nazir.

Show bosses announced in May that the former Shameless actor had been cast as Zeedan, who is the teenage son of existing regular Kal.

Zeedan arrives on screen as Steve McDonald's new Rovers Return cricket team head out for their first practice session.

Steve has been nervous about the challenges ahead for his hastily-arranged team, but things seem to be looking up for him when Zeedan proves to be a brilliant cricketer!

The Rovers cricket team head out for their first practice session
    © ITV
    The Rovers cricket team practice

Kal's son Zeedan arrives
    © ITV
    Kal's son Zeedan arrives

In his recent interview with Digital Spy, Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn confirmed that Kal has a lot of ground to make up with Zeedan.

He explained: "There's not a dark side to him, but his relationship with Kal is incredibly difficult. Zeedan was brought up for most of his life by his mother and his grandparents, because his dad was away in the army.

"What Zeedan experienced as a young lad was absence, which he's really angry about. His mother died a couple of years back, but when she was alive, Zeedan would have seen her sitting staring at the television and sobbing terrified whenever there were reports from Afghanistan.

"There's a lot of anger in Zeedan as he questions why his dad wasn't with him."

Coronation Street airs these scenes on Friday, September 5 at 7.30pm on ITV.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (27-08-2014)

please no more of this annoying family

Do not like the mum but hope the grandson character is ok. I like the father but not impressed with Kal as he is boring. Most families take a while to fit into the street. But they never get it right with Asian families!

Coronation Street newcomer Qasim Akhtar makes his first appearance on the soap this week as he takes on the role of Kal Nazir's son Zeedan.

Zeedan gets to know the Weatherfield locals when he joins Steve McDonald's new Rovers Return cricket team, but he shows a less friendly side to his personality when he is cold towards Kal's new girlfriend Leanne Tilsley.

Here, Qasim reveals all about his first scenes and what's ahead for Zeedan.

What can you tell us about Zeedan?
    "Zeedan has been brought up by his grandparents. His dad has been in the army for 16 years, so Zeedan and his dad don't have the best relationship. That's what you'll see when he first comes into the show.

"That's not so much to do with Leanne, it's more to do with the fact that his father figure is his granddad. He's grown up seeing his father being a completely different person to his granddad, so his attitude to his dad is, 'I don't want to be anything like this guy'.

"Zeedan is also very overprotective over his sister Alya. He's meant to be a bit of a cool kid - he likes his clothes, he likes his trainers."

He must have also been hit hard by his mother's death.
    "Yeah, he was. That's another thing with Leanne - I think that's what's getting to him more than anything. It's not just a religious thing that means he's so against the fact that Kal is seeing Leanne, there's a lot more depth than that. He doesn't want anyone to replace his mother.

"It's upsetting for Zeedan to see his dad and Leanne together, because growing up he never saw his mum and dad together much with Kal being away all the time. It's building up so much anger inside him that the audience don't see, but people will start to realise what's actually wrong. Maybe there is a soft side to him and there are reasons why he's doing what he's doing."

When do we first see Zeedan?
    "The first time we see him is at the cricket practice with the Rovers Return's new team."

What happens when the day of the match itself arrives?
    "They turn up at the cricket ground and everything's going smoothly. Then there's a scene with Alya and Zeedan and she's telling him that she's happy he's there. Zeedan points out to her that he's not sucking up to his dad's girlfriend, but at that point she's already rung Leanne and told her to come down to the cricket match and bond with the family.

"Leanne turns up and Zeedan has a big argument with her. He goes inside, throws his bat down and nearly messes things up for the team!"

Does Zeedan realise that he's upsetting his dad by being so negative about Leanne?
    "I think he does, but at this moment in time he doesn't care. I think that's his goal. He'd be happy if his dad went and said to Leanne that they couldn't be together anymore and he'd think his mission was accomplished. He's being a bit selfish but there are reasons for why he's being that person. I think there's so much more for me to learn about Zeedan."

Aside from his family, who else will Zeedan connect with?
    "I think it's going to be Gary. There was quite a nice scene that me and Mikey [North, who plays Gary] did in the pavilion after Zeedan throws his bat down. Gary comes in and he speaks to him about what his dad was like when he was in the army, but Zeedan doesn't want to hear it - he doesn't care. However, it's quite a nice scene creating a relationship between them, so it's the start of something."

Can you tell us more about the relationship between Zeedan and his grandfather Sharif?
    "Obviously with Sharif being his father figure growing up, Zeedan takes after him. He's a cool granddad and in real life I love Marc [Anwar, who plays Sharif] as well as a person. He's made me feel really at home in the last four weeks and I could actually call him my granddad."

How did the part of Zeedan come about for you?
    "I'd just come out of Shameless and I thought I wanted to continue in dramas and films. In February, I hadn't worked for 11 months. I was starting to feel a little bit down about things and my mum could see that. It was almost like it was meant to be, as my mum said to me, 'Do you know what I'd love? If you got a part in Coronation Street'.

"At the time I didn't think anything of it, and then literally three weeks after she said that she'd seen a casting for Coronation Street for a young Asian lad. Next thing you know, two weeks later my agent is ringing me saying he's got an audition for me for Coronation Street.

"At first I wasn't sure, but I knew it would make my mum so happy because she's literally been a fan of the show for over 20 years. Then as soon as I'd been to the first audition and spoken to the casting director and the character, I knew how much I wanted the role."

Was your mum the first person you told when you got the part?
    "I was at a mate's house around the corner from mine when I got the call, but I ran home instantly. I told my mum and she literally broke down in tears and started crying her eyes out. I got on the phone to everybody - I was ringing all my mates and telling everyone."

Who did you know in the cast before you started?
    "I knew Brooke Vincent a bit because I'd seen her out and about and Ryan Thomas as well because I'm good mates with his brother, but I haven't really had much time to speak to them. Marc Anwar and Jimi Mistry have made me feel so comfortable. Jimi, from day one, made me feel like I'd been there for so long. The relationship just clicked straight away."

What's it like working with all the other members of the family?
    "The casting has been so great for the family. We've all got something there that brings us together and makes us look like an actual family, so I think it's been really well cast."

Will you watch your first episode?
    "One hundred million percent! I can't wait and I'm so excited. I think anyone who says that they hate watching themselves is lying. I'll be sitting with my mum, my brother and my little sister. Everyone will probably come round and we'll just sit down and watch it."

Are you prepared for what comes with it?
    "I've been acting since I was 13 so it's nothing new to me, but I know that being on a soap there's a lot more media attention. I guess it's just going to be what I've already experienced, but times 10 or 100!"

think he likes eva

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (01-10-2015), swmc66 (01-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    think he likes eva
    I can see that there might be a couple of things that would attract him....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (01-10-2015)

Eva is very nice but I would like her back with Jason

14. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Perdita (01-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by swmc66 View Post
    Eva is very nice but I would like her back with Jason
    I hope they get back together too, they both know Todd lied for them to split up ... I think they still have lots of feelings for each other and it could work

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (01-10-2015), swmc66 (02-10-2015)

Thread Information