Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sylvie Carter

EastEnders producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins has revealed that there will be further changes ahead for the Carter family once Sylvie Carter arrives.

It was previously announced that Stan's ex-wife Sylvie Carter would be introduced into the show and bosses are currently in the process of casting her.

Sylvie, who is the mother of Shirley and Tina, walked out on her family years ago, but viewers know that Aunt Babe is still secretly in contact with her.

Speaking to Inside Soap, Treadwell-Collins admitted that she will be arriving 'imminently', adding that she will change the family dynamics once again.

He said: "We are on the brink of casting Sylvie now and she will change the Carter family dynamic yet again. She brings with her some meaty stuff for Shirley and Mick, but mostly Stan. Timothy West is a brilliant actor, and he's not in vain.

"In fact, he has come up to me to complain that Stan is too nice and he wants to make him more unpleasant.

He continued: "When we announced the characters, we deliberately said Aunt Babe was lovely and Stan was dark and then we twisted it around and turned it on its head. We have now seen a darker side to Aunt Babe and there is more to come."

Treadwell-Collins also teased another bombshell for the family when Mick discovers that Shirley is actually his mother and not his older sister.

"All I can say is, it'll all come out at the worst possible time. It is going to get messy for the Carters, especially after Dean rapes Linda," he added.

"It's a difficult story to cover but it's a very important issue to tackle and this story has the potential to make a real difference to people's lives."

EastEnders bosses have announced that Linda Marlowe is joining the soap in the role of Sylvie Carter.

Sylvie, who is the mother of Shirley Carter and sister of Aunt Babe, will be a recurring guest character on the show and make her first appearance later this year.

Linda Marlowe at the Whatsonstage.com Awards
    © Rex Features / Dan Wooller
    Linda Marlowe

Show chiefs had previously confirmed their intention to introduce Sylvie to Walford, but Marlowe's casting in the part has now been revealed.

Speaking of her new role, Marlowe commented: "I'm totally thrilled to be joining the cast of EastEnders and playing such a wonderful character."

EastEnders' executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins added: "We've had Sylvie Carter - and Linda Marlowe - in our heads for almost as long as Shirley has been on Albert Square. Linda is such an intuitive, raw and skilled actress, perfect to bring to life the brittle faded glamour of this most selfish of mothers.

"Sylvie's return is going to open old wounds in the Carter family - and watching Linda Marlowe, Annette Badland, Ann Mitchell and Timothy West going for it on screen is going to be electric."

Sylvie walked out on her family years ago after struggling with a house full of kids, an abusive husband in Stan and having to raise a child that wasn't her own.

Although manipulative and used to getting her own way, Sylvie arrives in Walford as she needs help from the family she abandoned years ago. However, the welcome she gets in Walford will be anything but warm.

Marlowe has a wide variety of stage and screen credits to her name, including TV and film roles in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The House of Mirth, Love Hurts, She's Out and Family.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (23-09-2014)

has described her upcoming role in EastEnders as "wonderful".

The Australian actress will soon appear in the BBC One soap as Sylvie Carter, the mother of Shirley (Linda Henry) and Tina (Luisa Bradshaw-White) and estranged wife of Stan (Timothy West).

Sylvie's appearance has been teased over the past few months, having abandoned her family long ago.

"I'm going to hit the screens, I can't exactly say when, but not long," she told Digital Spy. "It's a wonderful role, and I'm very, very proud and thrilled to be doing it. It's a lovely cast."

When asked if she was a fan of EastEnders before joining this year, she said: "I never have time to watch, I've dipped in and out of it because I have friends in it. I think, 'Oh I must watch them', like with Josie Lawrence. I don't watch a lot of television because I'm always working and often in the theatre.

"But I did know about [the Carters], and they seem to be a wonderful group. It's lovely that Timothy West is in it, and Danny Dyer is wonderful."

Dyer plays Sylvie's grandson Mick, although he believes her to be his mother, unaware that 'sister' Shirley actually gave birth to him.

"I've really enjoyed working with them. Danny is a real sweetheart and really lovely, and Linda Henry and Luisa too, who play my children," Marlowe continued. "I get to work with the whole Carter family, and all of them are wonderful. Danny is so lovely and warm and enthusiastic and hard-working."

On her future in the soap, she added: "I would be very interested [in returning]. Recurring suggests that a character will come back, but I don't know about that yet, that's a discussion we've yet to have. She's not going to go away, definitely."

EastEnders have released the first picture of Shirley Carter's mother Sylvie as she makes her first appearance next month.

Sylvie, played by Linda Marlowe, is the mother of Shirley and Tina and sister of Aunt Babe.

Linda Marlowe as Sylvie Carter in EastEnders
    © BBC
    Linda Marlowe as Sylvie Carter

Sylvie walked out on her family years ago but viewers have been aware that Aunt Babe has been secretly living with her.

Although the Carter family are currently in the dark over Aunt Babe's secret, the truth will finally come out following a difficult day for Mick and Linda Carter.

Having made a final decision over Linda's unborn baby, Mick and Linda return home to find an angry Shirley looking for Aunt Babe.

Not wanting Shirley to drive off in a rage, Mick decides to head off with her. When there is no answer at Aunt Babe's house, they head inside where they hear a noise upstairs.

However, nothing can prepare Mick and Shirley for the shock they receive when they come face to face with Sylvie, who they haven't seen for years. How will they react?

Is she really ill as she remembered Mick wasn't her son and her grievances only are with Shirley no others of the family not even Stan

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Is she really ill as she remembered Mick wasn't her son and her grievances only are with Shirley no others of the family not even Stan
    Would be a stunt Babe would pull but given her "character" - She doesn't really seem the Carter type as she is unless her health is deteriorating. She has moments with Shirley when I think her true character comes out but she seems quite docile most of the time.

Would be a stunt Babe would pull but given her "character" - She doesn't really seem the Carter type as she is unless her health is deteriorating. She has moments with Shirley when I think her true character comes out but she seems quite docile most of the time.

shirley told her she had a son when she said she didn't and so did babe and mick, she is very resentful of shirley so i think stan cared too much for mick and not for her and their kids so she was jealous and turned that resent to shirley for having mick

shirley told her she had a son when she said she didn't and so did babe and mick, she is very resentful of shirley so i think stan cared too much for mick and not for her and their kids so she was jealous and turned that resent to shirley for having mick

I think moments of clarity are very common for Alzheimer's and other dementias. These moments occur less and less frequently as the disease progresses.

I've seen the theory elsewhere that she doesn't have Alzheimer's and that in reality Babe has kept her drugged for years. It would be a good storyline but I doubt it's true or Babe would never have dared leave her at the Carters.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 27-12-2014 at 20:04.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

lizann (27-12-2014), Perdita (27-12-2014)

Thread Information