Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donna Yates (Lisa Hammond)

Exclamation Donna Yates (Lisa Hammond)

EastEnders is set to introduce a new disabled character portrayed by former Grange Hill actress Lisa Hammond.

The 31-year-old will play tough market trader Donna Yates on Bridge Street, who declares war on stall rivals Kat and Bianca.

Lisa Hammond as Donna Yates
    © BBC
    Lisa Hammond as Donna Yates

Despite the character not originally intended to be in a wheelchair, Hammond succeeded in her audition for the role among able-bodied actors.

Hammond has a restricted growth condition and is the second regular disabled character to appear on Albert Square, after Adam Best (David Proud) from 2009 to 2010.

"I'm really excited to join EastEnders," the actress said. "Donna is a bit of a handful but they are always the most fun characters - it feels good to be bad."

EastEnders boss Dominic Treadwell-Collins described her character as "flinty, aggressive and difficult".

"Donna's not an easy character to like at first," he admitted. "As we get to know her better, we will discover a funny, loyal but also fragile woman underneath.

"Lisa is a brilliantly comic and sharp actress. We have been trying to get her into the EastEnders cast for a long time so I am delighted."

Hammond started her acting career in Grange Hill at the age of 13 and has also appeared in Psychoville, Bleak House and Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2...#ixzz2wOrXdPgV

EastEnders newcomer Lisa Hammond has revealed that there will be a humorous side to her character Donna Yates.

Donna's first scenes will be aired next week as the future of Walford's local market is finally decided.

Despite being billed as "aggressive and difficult", Hammond has insisted that her character won't be completely unlikeable.

Speaking to Inside Soap, the actress said: "Initially, Donna is very opinionated. But there is a humorous side to her.

"I don't want her to just be a hard-faced cow. There needs to be a glint in her eye, tinged with a bit of sarcasm as well.

"It was hard to launch into being such a fiery character. Once I settled in, I thought, 'This is fun - people will hate me!'"

Donna will immediately get on the wrong side of stallholders Kat Moon and Bianca Butcher after they mistakenly assume she is someone from the council and confront her.

Hammond said: "Not only did I come in on my first day as someone who is difficult and a bit nosey, but I had to do it with Kat and Bianca!

"They are really strong women, so it was daunting. But Patsy (Bianca) and Jessie (Kat) have always been a good laugh in between scenes, so it was very easy to settle in.

"Patsy is my mentor. She told me to come straight to her with any questions."

EastEnders airs Donna's first scenes on Monday, April 14 on BBC One.

EastEnders star Lisa Hammond has revealed that there is more to learn about her outspoken character Donna Yates.

Donna's fiery attitude didn't win her many friends when she joined the Bridge Street market last year, but she has recently been getting to know some of the locals better after moving to Albert Square.

Speaking about the fan response to her character, Hammond told Inside Soap: "Viewers come up to me in the street and say, 'You're a bitch' right in my face! But I find that really exciting, because it means I must be doing something right.

"Donna's not supposed to be particularly likeable and I find that much more interesting to play than someone who's a bit neutral."

She continued: "You're going to find out a lot more about Donna's roots and where she's come from. We'll discover that there is a softer side to her and a funnier side as well.

"But it doesn't matter if people still hate her - I don't want the audience to just go, 'Oh well, that explains why she is how she is'. She could lighten up anyway, couldn't she? But I don't think you'll ever see a full turnaround with Donna!"

Next week's episodes also see Donna left disappointed when she realises that Kat and Alfie Moon are growing closer again, with Kat agreeing to be her estranged husband's 'plus one' at Ian and Jane Beale's upcoming wedding.

Hammond added: "Donna's been single for a long time, so she sees a few people as potentials. I don't think she's head over heels in love with Alfie. It's just that thing of when you get on well with a guy and you think maybe something could happen.

"There's that little spark of attraction for Donna, so she's disappointed that he wants to take Kat along to the wedding."

do you think les is her dad?

she kisses kush and asks him to have a baby with her

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-05-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    she kisses kush and asks him to have a baby with her
    I thought that was probably what she asked him when I read the spoilers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Rear window (25-05-2016)

asking vincent her brother by adoption for a kid is sick

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    asking vincent her brother by adoption for a kid is sick
    She was only fostered by Claudette not adopted.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

parkerman (03-06-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    even foster brother still sick to me, go sperm bank

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Rear window (03-06-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    even foster brother still sick to me, go sperm bank

Thread Information