Thread: Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Exclamation Eurovision Song Contest 2014

The BBC has revealed that singer/songwriter Molly Smitten-Downes will represent the UK at the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest. She will be performing her own song entitled Children of the Universe.

That's all well and good - but who is Molly? Turns out she has been singing and writing for over 10 years. The 26-year-old from Leicestershire was originally discovered through BBC Introducing, a scheme which brings together all of the BBC's supporters of undiscovered and unsigned music. She was then chosen for the coveted spot in the famous competition.

In 2012 she was awarded Best Urban/Pop Act at Live and Unsigned, has performed at numerous festivals including Sundown and in 2013 won Best Song at the Best of British Unsigned Music Awards. She has worked with artists such as Jake Bugg, Tinie Tempah, Labrinth and Chase and Status.

The song Children of the Universe is, according to the BBC, 'an anthemic, uplifting track specifically written with live performance in mind'. Talking about her exciting new European gig, Molly says: “To represent the United Kingdom in such a huge competition, not only as a singer and performer, but as a songwriter is an unbelievable honour. I hope I can do us proud.”

Molly will be the latest British hopeful to fly the flag; we've showcased a few of the UK acts who've all had different degrees of luck. Let's hope Molly becomes the UK's next Bucks Fizz and not Jemini!

10th May, 8.00 - 11.00PM

Graham Norton commentates for BBC One and BBC One HD and Ken Bruce commentates for BBC Radio 2, as 26 countries compete to become the winners of the 59th Eurovision Song Contest.
    Molly will be flying the flag for the United Kingdom with her anthemic self-penned song Children Of The Universe, as the final of the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest gets underway in Copenhagen, Denmark, the country who won Eurovision for the third time in 2013 with Emilie De Forest’s Only Teardrops.

10th May, 8.00 - 11.00PM

Graham Norton commentates for BBC One and BBC One HD and Ken Bruce commentates for BBC Radio 2, as 26 countries compete to become the winners of the 59th Eurovision Song Contest.
    Molly will be flying the flag for the United Kingdom with her anthemic self-penned song Children Of The Universe, as the final of the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest gets underway in Copenhagen, Denmark, the country who won Eurovision for the third time in 2013 with Emilie De Forest’s Only Teardrops.

Austria has won the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest.

Conchita Wurst's 'Rise Like a Phoenix' emerged victorious at this year's competition, ending the night with 290 points.

Eurovision 2014 in Copenhagen: Live Blog

"This night is dedicated to everyone who believes in a future of peace and freedom. You know who you are - we are unity and we are unstoppable," Wurst told the assembled crowd after winning.

The Common Linnets of The Netherlands were runners-up, with their song 'Calm After the Storm' earning 238 points, while Sweden gained 218 points for Sanna Nielsen's 'Undo' to finish third overall.

Molly - who represented the UK with her track 'Children of the Universe' - finished in 17th place overall with 40 points.

This year's ceremony was held at the B&W Hallerne in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Lise Rønne, Nikolaj Koppel and Pilou Asbæk oversaw the proceedings for an international television audience, and took part in a series of comedy sketches and interviews with the contestants.

The theme for the evening was one of togetherness, with '#JoinUs' serving as the motto for this year's song contest.

A closing musical number also included the first-ever gathering of all the Eurovision contestants on stage at the same time.

The escalating tension between Russia and Ukraine was felt in B&W Hallerne often, as the crowd frequently booed when Russia received points in the voting announcements.

Graham Norton provided coverage for the UK on television on BBC One, while Ken Bruce anchored for BBC Radio 2 listeners.

Once again political voting at it's best. At least Mollie didn't end up with NIL POINTS and she did better than Bonnie Tyler last year, but it was still a farce.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

i will enter for ireland next year with a beard no more shaving for me from now on

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Perdita (13-05-2014), tammyy2j (13-05-2014)

Thread Information