Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Pat Phelan (Connor McIntyre)

Coronation Street villain Pat Phelan faces a massive dilemma next week as he's left penniless in a bombshell new twist.

With the property development scam finally rumbled, Phelan and his partner-in-crime Vinny Ashford prepare to make their getaway with the cash - but Vinny soon commits the ultimate betrayal by fleeing early and taking all the money for himself.

Having earned nothing from months of scheming, will Phelan quit while he's behind, or will he return to the Street and face the music? Connor McIntyre, who plays Phelan, reveals some new gossip right here.

How does Phelan react when his scam gets rumbled?

"It's a mild state of panic. Now the scam has definitely been rumbled, it's time to make the decision. Phelan and Vinny have to get together, see how much money is in the kitty and think about what they are going to do next.

"Of course, they had a getaway plan in mind before, but now it has been brought forward."

By this point, Phelan has already had a huge altercation with Michael. How does he feel about that?

"That's a good question and in truth I don't think Phelan feels that much. Phelan has Michael right where he wants him and there is a point I'm sure when he thinks: 'Wow, have I just presided over this?' but he is a psychopath and he's a cold fish.

"Phelan recites a story to Michael which is quite chilling and makes his intent quite clear. It's shocking, but then Phelan can just snap back into normality."

Is Phelan feeling sad about leaving Eileen when he says goodbye, knowing he'll never come back?

"I think he is. Now having said that, Phelan is a cold fish and ultimately he knows he is going. I think he has still developed feelings for Eileen, for sure. He's not oblivious to the fact that she has all these hopes for Jason's money and the business, but it's collateral damage for him."

How does Phelan react when he discovers that Vinny has already left for the airport earlier than planned?

"The first thing Phelan would probably think is, 'Did I get the times wrong? Was I supposed to meet him at the airport?' There is that moment, until he rings Vinny's phone and the phone line is dead. That's when the penny starts to drop slowly. Next thing, he checks the bank accounts and he sees they have been cleared."

How surprised is he that Vinny has taken all the money?

"Phelan is blindsided - the conman has been conned. Money aside, that is probably the thing that hits home for him. Phelan and Vinny have been old friends, they have run scams before and actually, Vinny is somebody that Phelan has had to manage in terms of what he was going to do to Todd.

"He has been a combustible component, but now it seems that Vinny has actually been managing Phelan and that's a huge blow to Phelan's ego."

Does Phelan feel guilty towards Jason, Todd and Eileen?

"Phelan likes Jason, he has feelings for Eileen and he has become fond of Todd in a way because they are peas in a pod. But this is all part of the sickness with this character, the compassion is missing.

"The world revolves around Pat Phelan and all these things are secondary to him. Phelan comes from the Irish for 'wolf' and it is very fitting because Pat Phelan is the Wolf of Weatherfield... The Lone Wolf of Weatherfield."

Phelan is left to decide whether to leave the country, or stay and face the music. What factors come into play when he's making this decision?

"Well, it's all about one more roll of the dice. The thing about characters like Pat Phelan is that actually their egos are so big, so this choice becomes more of a: 'Do I go without a penny in my pocket and just escape? Or is there one more chance to pull the wool over people's eyes?'

"But then that is quite a challenge and he would have to go back and face the music alone. He has nothing to lose either way."

How do you feel about the end of this part of the story?

"I am very excited, because this starts to reveal more about Pat Phelan and the relationships get richer as it's much more complex now. The flats plot is much more secondary to what is going to happen, because this sets off a chain of events along the street that involves a lot of people outside of the building scam. No question we are going to see different sides to Phelan."

Phelan heads to the airport with his fake passport in Coronation Street
    ITV
    How confident was Phelan that he'd get away with this?

"Always, he is an egomaniac. But as well as a financial gain, it's a power thing and we've seen that with the bullying and the incidents with Anna. It's about thrill and adrenaline for Phelan."

Are you surprised that Phelan wasn't more careful with Vinny?

"If anything, it's made him even more ruthless because Phelan feels that he trusted someone but now that will never happen again. This has hardened Phelan's resolve, this has convinced him even more that there is only him and he is the one that matters."

Has this made him more dangerous?

"Completely. More ruthless and more dangerous."

What was the best thing about having Ian Kelsey (Vinny) as a co-star?

"They're manifold; he's a top guy, a really good actor, a great company member and just a fantastic guy to have around. Vinny was a really nice counterpoint to Phelan; that still, silence presence without being overt. And I buy into their relationship as I watch it as a viewer. I believe that Phelan is really worried about Vinny, but Ian as Ian is a lovely guy to have around."

Would you personally like to see Phelan have a genuine relationship with Eileen?

"I think he already has been in a genuine relationship with her, but it is based on what his pathology is. Interestingly enough, it is possible for that relationship to run parallel with his psychopathic behaviour, because for moments you see Phelan with Eileen and you understand for that split second that he really loves her.

"When he says, ''It's just me and you, kid', then for that split moment he is telling the truth and that is why Eileen believes him. So let's put it this way, if Phelan had a brother who was the total opposite, him and Eileen would be a beautiful match - a brother without the psychotically.

"But of course, if Phelan does decide to return to the Street, there will be a heightened dynamic."

Coronation Street airs Phelan's big decision on Monday, November 21 at 7.30pm and 8.30pm on ITV.

Digital Spy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-11-2016), tammyy2j (15-11-2016)

I never found him and Eileen a good match

I'd like to know how much money they're supposed to have made from the flats con.

If there were, at a guess, 30 flats at £15,000 each, that would bring the total they made to £450,000. Even double that wouldn't be anywhere near enough for two blokes to retire abroad to live the good life surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I'd like to know how much money they're supposed to have made from the flats con.

If there were, at a guess, 30 flats at £15,000 each, that would bring the total they made to £450,000. Even double that wouldn't be anywhere near enough for two blokes to retire abroad to live the good life surely?
    Ohh they can live off that quite comfortably in Mexico

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-11-2016)

420k. Don´t forget the 30k Eileen spent on tiles ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-11-2016), parkerman (15-11-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Ohh they can live off that quite comfortably in Mexico
    Two of them living the high life for 30+ years? I guess you're right, but if I was Vinny/Phelan and going to pull one last con that I was going to retire on (and that meant I'd never be able to return home), I'd make sure I was taking millions with me.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 15-11-2016 at 20:00.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

parkerman (15-11-2016)

did eileen put in more of jason's money than 15k, as he partner in deal

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    Did she not put in 80k, all of his inheritance from Tony?

Two of them living the high life for 30+ years? I guess you're right, but if I was Vinny/Phelan and going to pull one last con that I was going to retire on (and that meant I'd never be able to return home), I'd make sure I was taking millions with me.
    They could buy a bar or 2 in Mexico and have others manage them ... that would would keep the wolves from the doors, I am sure

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-11-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    I think Jason put in 60 or 80 grand, but Eileen (as Perdita pointed out) spent 30 of that. Vinnie and Phelan would have needed money to set up the con so I'm not sure how much would be left now.

Thread Information