Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pat Phelan (Connor McIntyre)

Shock romance in store for Eileen Grimshaw and Pat Phelan?
    He has already caused his fair share of heartache since returning to the cobbles, but scheming Pat Phelan could be about to create yet more damage – when Michael Rodwell becomes jealous of his growing closeness to Eileen Grimshaw.
    When Jason moans at Phelan that Eileen is complaining about her kitchen cupboard doors, Phelan rides to the rescue with some spare fittings and does the job, leaving Michael feeling pushed out.
    When Michael addresses this with Eileen, she leaves him upset by pointing out that he had the chance to fix them but Phelan got there first. Ouch, not good for the masculinity!
    And in the wake of Anna Windass later launching an attack on Phelan, Jason takes him back to the Grimshaws where Eileen prepares dinner for him.
    As Phelan seems to be getting his feet under the table, Eileen seems to enjoy the presence of a more ‘alpha’ male, which leaves Michael feeling very insecure.
    Could Phelan be set to make a move on Eileen and, if so, would she be tempted to respond?
    Meanwhile, another relationship heading for the rocks thanks to the Phelan effect is that of Kevin and Anna.
    Having witnessed Anna’s frenzied attack on Phelan, Kevin seems to have had enough. While Anna apologises for her behaviour, Kevin is reluctant to move past her outburst this time.
    Could she finally explain her reasons for hating Phelan with such passion or will she end up losing Kevin?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (12-02-2016)

Coronation Street villain Pat Phelan will strike again next week as he hatches a ruthless plan to con Jason Grimshaw.

Phelan (Connor McIntyre) spies the perfect opportunity for another easy payout when Jason receives the tragic news that his father Tony has died of a suspected heart attack.

While most of the Street's residents concentrate their efforts on rallying round Jason, scheming Phelan can't help but think about the inheritance that his fellow builder will inevitably receive.

With this in mind, Phelan tries to make himself indispensable to Jason and Eileen by offering his support in any way he can.

Todd is suspicious of Phelan
    © ITV

Putting stage two of his plan into action afterwards, Phelan makes out that he's in dire need of somewhere to stay - and Eileen is only too happy to give him a roof over his head for a while.

The only person who's sceptical over Phelan's intentions is Jason's half-brother Todd, who also moves back into the Grimshaw house to support his loved ones. It clearly takes one schemer to spot another, but will anyone believe Todd about Phelan?

Todd confronts Phelan
    © ITV

Ryan Thomas, who plays Jason, revealed: "Phelan has taken Tony's role - he has become a father figure to Jason and he needs someone like that in his life. As far as Jason is concerned, he has got his best interests at heart, trying to look after his business and try to get him more work.

"Jason has no reason to believe there is anything more of it. He would be the last person to believe Phelan is up to anything. Everything he is doing is very positive for Jason. He has a got a lot of Tony about him, he knows a lot of people, he is a bit of a ducker and diver and Jason is latching on to that.

"The only person who seems to be suspicious of what Phelan is doing and what his motives are is Todd. He is being very protective of his family, but Jason is not really interested in what Todd is saying. Todd is wary of Phelan but Jason doesn't see it. No one has enough evidence, but it takes one to know one and Todd has a real sense that all is not right."

Todd tries to support a devastated Jason
    © ITV

Asked about Phelan's true intentions, Thomas continued: "The cogs are turning - he knows what he wants. He knows there is some money coming to Jason but underneath all the badness, I think Phelan does actually care about Jason. Yes he is manipulative and can be evil for selfish reasons, but he couldn't be as warm as he is towards Jason if he didn't have some feelings for him."

Digital Spy

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-04-2016), tammyy2j (19-04-2016)

The actor has reassuring words for Corrie fans worried for Jason Grimshaw's welfare

Pat Phelan will come to Jason Grimshaw's rescue when he disposes of the wrench that was used to kill Callum Logan. With the weapon currently stashed in the late Tony Stewart's tool bag, Phelan will be seen stashing the items under the floorboards at the Nazirs' before the police can get their hands on them.
    But does Phelan really have Jason's best interests at heart? Is he really intent on saving the day - or does he have ulterior motives? Here, actor Connor McIntyre lets us into the mind of the Street's biggest schemer...
    So, how has Phelan been dealing with Jason’s grief?
    I think he’s been dealing with it very well - he doesn’t really care! In terms of what his goal is, although he likes Jason, none of this stuff is going to get in the way of what he wants to achieve. He can only view Jason’s grief as an opportunity. I’ve said it before, he’s psychopathic in the strictest sense of the word - no empathy, narcissistic, a lack of compassion. It’s all about him.
    Does Phelan believe that Tony is the murderer?
    It’s irrelevant for him, he honestly doesn’t care, but the situation has presented him with an opportunity. Once more into his lap has fallen a set of circumstances that will help him achieve what he wants to achieve. Happy days!

What does he think when Jason tells him where the murder weapon could be?
    He thinks, 'this is good news!' Because again it comes down to having that leverage - information is power to him. And he lays the guilt trip on Jason.
    Why does he decide to move the tool bag?
    He does it ostensibly as a favour but again, it’s leverage. He can keep reminding Jason he owes him.
    Is Jason grateful for Phelan’s help?
    Yes. You would be, wouldn’t you? It’s a web that Phelan weaves. He’s really tricky.

Does Phelan genuinely care for Jason at all?
    Yes, I think he does care for him but with that kind mentality, everything’s about the moment. The long term thing for Phelan is purely himself, but he has to remain plausible.
    Will you miss Ryan Thomas?
    Dreadfully. Coronation Street as a whole will be in tears when that young man goes. I’m very fond of him. It’s been a privilege working with him and if there has to be an exit storyline I’m pleased to be part of it.
    Do you think Todd has the potential to bring Phelan down?
    I think there’s a few people with the potential to bring Phelan down, including Todd. There are several contenders - he’s upset quite a few people. Maybe Todd’s too obvious? Maybe Norris or Roy would be interesting. When you see what undoes these characters it is that they generally overplay their hand. Or one of the threads unravels and the whole thing collapses around them.

Are you enjoying the Phelan-Todd conflict scenes?
    I am, he’s a great actor is Bruno Langley. We try to make it as truthful as possible. It’s a delight.
    Do fans still generally hate Phelan or have more pro-Phelan fans emerged over time?
    People are engaged with the story. Woe betide you if you go near their favourite characters with bad intentions like Phelan does. They don’t like it. I’m getting the hate mail but there’s a bit of love there too. Generally it’s restricted to the character and it’s not personal.
    You retweet lots of poems, fan art, memes etc that fans tweet you about Phelan – what’s been your favourite recently?
    They are very creative, the fans out there. Someone tweeted recently that their great-aunt had asked them to write to Coronation Street suggesting that Pat Phelan be poisoned! That whole image is lovely. It’s a credit to the writers that they have created a villain like this.
    Do you hope Phelan succeeds in his plans or would you like to see him get his comeuppance?
    I’m not a fan of Pat Phelan - he reminds me of some duplicitous, machiavellian politicians and world leaders. He will tumble - the bad guys can’t win. And we can’t let them win in real life too.

Radio Times

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (07-06-2016), lizann (08-06-2016), parkerman (07-06-2016), Ruffed_lemur (08-06-2016), swmc66 (07-06-2016), tammyy2j (07-06-2016)

Shame a character like him cannot stay. Swap her for permanent villain Tracy please

Connor McIntyre has promised that his ruthless character Pat Phelan will get his comeuppance.

The slippery character has returned to haunt the cobbles this year and has managed to fool the Grimshaw family with his charming ways, having previously made the Windass clan's lives a misery.

McIntyre took home the Villain of the Year prize at the British Soap Awards last month and is clearly enjoying every minute of his time at Corrie. However, it turns out that he's still just as eager as the rest of us to see Phelan get what's coming to him.

McIntyre admitted: "I'm not a fan of Pat Phelan, he reminds me of some duplicitous, Machiavellian politicians and world leaders. He will tumble, the bad guys can't win. And we can't let them win in real life too.

"There's still some interesting questions about Pat Phelan - where he's come from, what's made him the way he is - to be answered."

Todd is the only Grimshaw who has seen Phelan's true colours, leaving fans to wonder whether he'll be the one to ultimately bring the schemer down.

Discussing the possibility, McIntyre added: "I think there's a few people with the potential to bring Phelan down, including Todd. There are several contenders - he's upset quite a few people.

"Maybe Todd's too obvious? Maybe Norris or Roy would be interesting. When you see what undoes these characters, it is that they generally overplay their hand. Or one of the threads unravels and the whole thing collapses around them."

And discussing the fan reaction to Phelan's games, he laughed: "People are engaged with the story. Woe betide you if you go near their favourite characters with bad intentions like Phelan does. They don't like it. I'm getting the hate mail but there's a bit of love there too. Generally it's restricted to the character and it's not personal.

"Someone tweeted recently that their great aunt had asked them to write to Coronation Street suggesting that Pat Phelan be poisoned! That whole image is lovely. It's a credit to the writers that they have created a villain like this."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (12-06-2016)

Coronation Street villain Pat Phelan will be targeting a number of Weatherfield's residents when he embarks on his next dastardly plan.

As previously announced, show bosses have cast former Emmerdale and Casualty actor Ian Kelsey as newcomer Vinny - an old acquaintance of Phelan who'll soon become his partner in crime.

Corrie's new producer Kate Oates has now revealed some fresh gossip about Phelan and Vinny's storyline, revealing that they'll be reeling in the locals with a very cruel con.

Ian Kelsey as Vinny in Coronation Street
    © ITV
    Speaking at a Coronation Street press event on Friday (July 22), Oates explained: "Phelan is a bad man with a bad scam. He'll be in cahoots with Vinny. They are planning on building a development and selling those properties off to local residents of Weatherfield, including some of the people on our Street.

"It's all a big scam. They don't really intend to build these properties - they intend to abscond with everybody's money. Eileen is going to fall from a great height if Phelan gets his way."

Eileen's son Jason Grimshaw may have left the cobbles, but he's only a phone call away and Phelan will be trying to convince him to invest in the new development from afar.

Fortunately, there'll still be someone standing in Phelan's way - Jason's brother Todd, who's already seen the schemer's true colours a number of times.

Oates continued: "Todd has smelled blood and has seen that Phelan isn't to be trusted. He's out to protect his mum and Jason's investment. So Todd is about to become a very big thorn in Phelan's side.

"The question is - how will Phelan and Vinny remove that thorn and what kind of lengths are they prepared to go to? That's going to be a long-runner and I'm very excited to see how that's going to play out - it's a different tone of story."

Digital Spy

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (28-07-2016), livden (23-07-2016), lizann (23-07-2016)

Todd and Phelan's feud

This article is interesting. Kate Oates touches upon possibly killing off Todd, and making Phelan a murderer: http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/22/corona...ictim-6023493/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to livden For This Useful Post:

parkerman (23-07-2016)

Pat Phelan to become a killer with Todd Grimshaw as the first victim?

Pat Phelan is capable of some despicable things in Coronation Street – we have already seen what he put Anna Windass through and the way he heartlessly looked down on Michael Rodwell when he fell down the steps at the builder’s yard – but he is about to get a whole lot worse.
    With Phelan set to embark on a dastardly scam using Jason’s money alongside his dodgy mate Vinny, locals in Weatherfield look set to be duped out of their cash. While Phelan and Vinny are promising new flats, their real intention is to take the money and then flee with it – without ever laying a single foundation.
    But with Todd on their back, how far might Phelan go to silence him? Could he take the next step in soap villainy and commit murder? Producer Kate Oates is keeping her cards relatively close to her chest – but she is certainly ruling nothing out.

Speaking at a press event, she told Metro.co.uk: ‘I love Phelan – Colin McIntyre plays him brilliantly and subtly – and he is a bad man with a bad scam! He is in cahoots with Vinny and they are planning on building a development and selling the properties off to local residents of Weatherfield including some of the people on our Street – but they don’t intend to build them; they intend to abscond with this money!
    ‘Todd has smelt blood and seen that Phelan isn’t to be trusted. He’s out to protect Jason’s investment and also his mum so will become a very big thorn in Phelan’s side. The question is how will Vinny and Phelan remove that thorn and what kinds of lengths are they prepared to go to?’

Asked if Phelan is to become the latest Corrie killer, Kate responded: ‘Depending on the pressures he faces and the people who get in his way, who knows what he is capable of doing? But I want that to be a journey. If that were to come his way, I’d want to see the pressure he faced to cause him to make that change.
    ‘The way he treated Anna was despicable. If you think about what he put her through and she has to see him every day, he kind of gets off on that so that makes him a very dark character already. He will bring other people down, sometimes for his own pleasure. That’s sinister enough without any deaths just yet.’

Addressing the possibility of a comeuppance or departure for Phelan, Kate pondered: ‘You can get longevity from characters even when they’re bad – look at what he did to Anna and here he is, going about his business in the street. You play stories like this in chapters and so long as each chapter is rewarding on its own merits, you still can get longevity. If, as a viewer, you start to feel frustrated and he’s just got away with that and the viewer feels we’ve forgotten about it and moved on, that’s when you start to worry.
    ‘But to refer to my other gig, Carl King in Emmerdale killed Tom and remained in the show for a really long time.’

metro.co.uk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (28-07-2016)

I know it might just be a sensational piece, knowing metro, it probably is. I mean, nowhere does Kate Oates actually say she's going to kill off Todd. It's mostly Metro raising those questions. But lets assume for a moment there is some truth to it.

I am so frustrated with Kate Oates’ work I don’t even know where to start. I love me some soap villains. I love characters being manipulative. But for the love of god why feel the need to make them into murderers? There’s so much she can do with Phelan without having it be totally over the top with him starting to murder Weatherfied’s residents. Maybe I’m in the minority but murder isn’t always the most exciting thing, ESPECIALLY not killing a legacy character like Todd Grimshaw in the process. IF it had been a similar case to Kylie, I would have understood. The actress was leaving, so they decided to kill her off, ok, it’s fair I guess. Bruno Langley on the other hand just signed onto another year, so killing him off is totally unnecessary. ESPECIALLY now that Jason has left. There will literally be nobody left of the Grimshaws (well, except Eileen). We need both Eileen and Todd to stay in Weatherfield. Also.. Todd is much more useful alive than he is dead. He can be a thorn in Phelan’s side for a good while and they can create many twists with that. They can literally have the storyline going for two years if they want. Killing off Todd is a really bad short term solution, just for a temporary spark in ratings. You know what would bring the ratings up? Having interesting plots and storylines, having good writing for the characters. Now that would actually see ratings spark and possibly be long-lasting too. Stunts like a helicopter crash, explosion, murders etc will only spark the ratings for a short while. It’s no long term solution at all. I wish Kate Oates would see it more in a long term perspective than what she is doing.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to livden For This Useful Post:

Perdita (23-07-2016), Ruffed_lemur (23-07-2016)

Sorry.
    Last edited by livden; 23-07-2016 at 18:54.

Thread Information