Thread: Tosh (Rebecca Scroggs)

Tosh (Rebecca Scroggs)

Rebecca Scroggs has joined the cast of EastEnders.

The actress will take on the role of Tina Carter's (Luisa Bradshaw-White) troublesome ex-girlfriend Tosh, who arrives in Walford to try and work on their relationship.

Rebecca Scroggs as Tosh in EastEnders
    © BBC
    Rebecca Scroggs as Tosh in EastEnders

Tosh, who is a firefighter, is described as strong, feisty and bright. The character has a problematic relationship with Tina's sister Shirley Carter (Linda Henry).

Scroggs has previously appeared in Death in Paradise, but her EastEnders casting gives her the first major role of her career.

On joining EastEnders, Scroggs said: "I'm very excited to be joining EastEnders in my first major television role. I grew up watching the show and it feels amazing to actually be a part of it now!

"I'm really going to enjoy working with the Carter family, they've brought such great energy to the Square."

The character of Tosh will first appear on screen later this month.

Didn't Tina have a girlfriend who was beating her up when we first met her? Or is this not the same person?
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

I think this is the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by LostVoodoo View Post
    Didn't Tina have a girlfriend who was beating her up when we first met her? Or is this not the same person?
    yes she battered shirley too when phil found her

Quote Originally Posted by LostVoodoo View Post
    yes she battered shirley too when phil found her

she is preggers

http://i2.cdnds.net/14/48/618x426/soaps-eastenders-4973-05.jpg

EastEnders couple Fiona 'Tosh' Mackintosh and Tina Carter will reach breaking point this week after another violent incident leaves their relationship in tatters.

Tosh will lash out at Tina (Luisa Bradshaw-White) after she misinterprets her friendship with Sonia Fowler for something more, leaving Tina with a big decision to make over whether their troubled romance can continue.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Rebecca Scroggs, who plays Tosh, for her insight on the dark storyline and where her character goes from here.

How have you felt about portraying this issue on screen?
    "I've felt very happy to do it. Domestic violence is obviously a very important issue and I really admire the way the show has dealt with it. What you've got in Tosh is a very well-rounded character. We've seen her vulnerabilities as well as her anger.

"I've felt that what the writers are trying to do is not excuse Tosh's behaviour, but try to explain and provide context to why she acts the way she does. I think that's been a very important part of the story, because I think we've got to put some of the emphasis on getting the perpetrators of abuse to recognise their behaviour for what it is."

How do you think Tosh sees her own behaviour?
    "At the moment, Tosh thinks she is the victim. She thinks she has been wronged by so many people and her violence is just a by-product of that. Tosh thinks Tina should know that and shouldn't provoke that anger. She thinks that it's a case of Tina allowing that behaviour to come out of her.

"I know that's a really horrible way of looking at it, but that's the reality with Tosh. She wouldn't do it otherwise as she's not a devil. She doesn't think it's okay that she hits Tina, she thinks, 'Poor me with all of these issues - if only someone would understand me!'"

When you took on the role, did the producers tell you the long-term arc they had planned?
    "Yes. When I came in, I knew that we were going to explore the violent streak in Tosh and how that would develop. I also knew that we'd delve into how Tina and Tosh would negotiate this relationship.

"I think there is more to explore with that - certainly with how the events coming up are going to affect them. There's going to be a watershed moment in the story where they're not going to be able to move on from this - they're going to have to stop and deal with it."

Jealous, Tosh accuses Tina of having a relationship with Sonia
    © BBC
    Tina and Tosh will face more problems this week

Has the role required much personal research on your part?
    "Yeah, it has. I've always been interested in the issue and I've supported domestic violence charities myself in the past. For this story I started reading up about how the issue affects same sex relationships, just to see the difference and what the thinking is on that. There is an amazing charity called Broken Rainbow so I've read up on their work. I also read some papers on same sex domestic abuse and how it's analysed.

"Domestic abuse is often seen as a male/female issue when it obviously happens in all types of relationship, regardless of gender. There is also an issue with people not taking it seriously."

Would you say that's been reflected in the Tosh and Tina story?
    "Yes. Tina has appeared with bruises in the past few months and people have been shocked. So far Tosh hasn't been pulled up really severely about her behaviour or challenged about it. That's actually something which has prevented same sex domestic violence from being more recognised, because some people think it doesn't really exist and in this case it could just be misunderstood as 'two girls scrapping'."

What kind of reaction have you seen to the story on Twitter?
    "I think it's going down alright, but I have to be really honest with you - because I totally expect negative opinions, I don't go looking for them unless they're presented to me! Some people do get in contact with me and I had a really nice tweet the other day from someone who said, 'I really don't like Tosh but I like the way you're portraying her'.

"That's about as much I can hope for! You don't have to like this character at all, but hopefully people can appreciate the way the show has depicted her. Other than that, I know that people do get a bit more vocal when they don't directly tweet you, but I don't look for that! The feedback I've seen has been generally positive, in the sense that people don't like Tosh but they appreciate why she's there."

Tosh grabs Tina by the hair
    © BBC

What can we expect from this week's episodes?
    "There are a series of opportunities for Tosh's paranoia and fears to become inflamed, because Tina is certainly not telling her the truth about how much she's seeing Sonia and the support that she is offering her. Tosh catches Tina out in a couple of lies and she also sees her hugging Sonia.

"Tina also says that she wants to help Sonia pay back the money she stole. That's like a red rag to a bull because Tosh knows they have their plans for a baby to think about. When Tina seemingly puts Sonia in front of that, Tosh genuinely feels betrayed.

"The switch really flips in Tosh's head because of all this and she allows all of her anger and bitterness to surge forward, so that's when the latest violence happens."

Do the Carters react more strongly this time?
    "There's definitely a confrontation and Mick, Shirley and Babe are all very angry with Tosh. There's no hiding from it this time! Tosh does feel really guilty about what she's done, but a lot of her guilt comes from shame because she knows that she's revealed herself.

"Before this, Tosh has always managed to hide behind a cool exterior, but this time she has been exposed as a violent bully and she can't take the upper hand with the Carters this time. She tries to come across as quite cocky, but they soon bring her down to the ground and it's humiliating for her."

Tosh accuses Tina of sleeping with Sonia
    © BBC
    Tina may not be able to forgive Tosh this time

Would you like Tosh to be redeemed?
    "I think there's definitely a chance for Tosh to be redeemed, but she's going to have to start dealing with her issues. She's not a bad person - she's just a very lonely, angry, isolated person.

"There is definitely scope for her to stop this behaviour. At the moment it's really about the licence she takes to inflict her rage on other people. That's the problem and it's horrible, but there is scope for her to change her thinking on the situation and realise the impact of her actions."

Have you enjoyed being part of the Carter family?
    "Yeah, they've been amazing. There's a great energy among them and I think it's worked out really well that they've all come into the show at the same time. They are genuinely like a family and there is a lot of on-screen and off-screen life to them! The show has been a great place to be this year because of that energy."

Would you like to explore Tosh's own family more?
    "Oh definitely! I really enjoyed those scenes where my mum came in. Jo Martin is an amazing actress and I'd love to work with her more because I think there is so much there that we could explore."

Your on-screen tension with Linda Henry (Shirley) and Annette Badland (Babe) must also be fun to play!
    "Yeah, they're fantastic to work with and they both play their parts brilliantly. I love Annette because she's such a lovely woman. So is Babe, but there is that side to her which is really dark and you don't quite know what's at the bottom of it.

"I think Babe might actually be the most fearsome Carter of all! I know Shirley shoots people but she has qualms about it, whereas I think Babe would pull the trigger no problem!"

EastEnders villain Fiona 'Tosh' Mackintosh has left the show following the end of her turbulent romance with Tina Carter.

The Walford couple had been at the centre of a domestic violence storyline, but Thursday's episode (December 11) saw the plot reach its conclusion as Tina decided to cut ties with Tosh for good.

Tosh (Rebecca Scroggs) had turned violent with Tina on a number of occasions, but her unstable behaviour escalated this week as she subjected her terrified partner to a vicious and relentless attack.

Her shocking behaviour came after she wrongly became suspicious that Tina was having an affair with Sonia Fowler (Natalie Cassidy).

EastEnders' latest episode featured an empowering moment for Tina (Luisa Bradshaw-White) as she refused to forgive Tosh this time, making it clear that they could no longer be together.

© BBC
    Tosh and Tina's heated scenes this week

Although Tosh begged for another chance, she soon realised that Tina wouldn't change her mind and later left Walford for a new start in Croydon.

An EastEnders spokesperson told Digital Spy today (December 11): "We can confirm that Thursday's episode featured Rebecca Scroggs's final scenes as Tosh. We wish Rebecca all the best for the future."

EastEnders linked up with LGBT domestic violence charity Broken Rainbow UK while working on the Tosh and Tina storyline. The plot was credited for highlighting the issue of domestic violence in a LGBT relationship.

Scroggs was part of the EastEnders cast for nearly a year, making her first appearance in the role of Tosh in February.

Thread Information