View Poll Results: Is the smoking ban in England a good or a bad thing?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

35 83.33%
  • Bad

7 16.67%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: England goes smoke-free

England goes smoke-free

Good or Bad?

Bout time i say!! Apparently an estimated 46,000 people quit because of the ban in Scotland alone. Hopefully this will be an incentive to more people in England to follow suit and quit as well. If people want to smoke, then thats their decision. I just dont like the fact that their decision can get in my way, as a non-smoker. If they want to smoke, go ahead. Just not around me, when i've purposefully choosen not to smoke for a reason.

Good, and this comes from a smoker. Its made me think about quitting and i've cut down already. But overall I don't think it will work. I can see people in clubs sneaking off for one somewhere, I think it will all fall through to be honest..
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

I am glad that I can go for a night out and not return home smelling of fags...Not to mention the harm being done to my body from breathing in this smoke.

Loads of smokers, I know, are up in arms about it, saying that their human rights are being curbed...I'd say I have a right to go into a public place and not breathe in their poison.

In a few years time Im sure we will look back and say I cant believe people use to be allowed to smoke in bars, clubs, on trains etc...
    Last edited by Pinkbanana; 01-07-2007 at 23:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_2k7 View Post
    But overall I don't think it will work. I can see people in clubs sneaking off for one somewhere..
    Yeah, toilets seem to be the place where peeps sneak off too. I know thats the case at several pubs Ive been in that had already introduced the no smoking ban. And its true at the metrocentre....
    Last edited by Pinkbanana; 01-07-2007 at 21:03.

it is a very good thing and about time. i should not have to breathe in peoples cigarette smoke anywhere when i choose not to smoke.
    POOKIE

I'm glad the ban has come in now, it's a great idea. Non - smokers shouldn't have to breathe in other smokers' cigarrette smoke.

If people wish to smoke, they should do it in a place where it won't effect non-smokers in my opinion.

Scotland has had a smoke ban for over a year now and there was mixed reactions when if was first inforced. The most places effected by the smoking ban is bingo halls previously when there were breaks in between games bingo participants would spend there money on the slot machines or on the prize bingo, but now they all run outside for a smoke. This had led to bingo halls loosing thousands of pounds every week. As for the pubs I haven't seen a huge reduction in customers I was in one in the centre of Edinburgh on Friday night and it was packed. Once thing I will say is that a lot of pubs had to be refirbished after the ban came into operation because once the smell of smoke went the pub still reeked of musky smell due to years of customers smoking in them.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

We went to play snooker tonight as it was great. For the first time no lighting up of cigs or spliff.

I have mixed feelings about it lol. Yes it's good that it's not getting to the non-smokers health etc..

But talking to my mate the other day (Who is also a non smoker ), she goes to clubs quite a lot.. and as you knwo the ban has been in Wales for a while, and hse said it causes a divide between everyone, which I don't agree with, yes I kno wits the smokers choisce to smoke, but should we punish them for smokung? I dont think so. Also I think that it should be up to the landlord of pubs etc to decide whether there should be smoking. In all fairness.. if the non smoker wants to go the public place where thers smoke, then thats up to then, if theyre soooo against it they wouldnt go!!!!

But that is my opinion, and I know I will be in the minority there!
    I am a non-smoker btw!

Its about time England caught up with the rest of the British Isles. One of Bliars very few good ideas
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Thread Information